Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last orders at The Mill House Pub, Portslade Today.

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
Absolutely gutted , been drinking there for a couple of years now and the bar staff are top notch , no matter how busy ...dont fancy the alternatives ....

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
During the heyday of the pub I think there were 400 in Brighton alone, I think that was late 50's early 60's, now I don't know what it has dropped to. Such a shame really, cos Brighton and Hove was well known for its pub culture.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Spent most of my youth living just up the road (Foredown Road), my parents still live there.

Funnily enough, I spent a lot more time in the two pubs in the Old Village, and the pubs south of Southern Cross than I did in there. Still be sad to see it go though.

Stag's closed now, too.

The Stag is my local too. But good news! it's reopening after a huge refurb apparently.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I remember Rick and his head barman Tony, who was there to 'look after him'. Didn't want to mess with Tony !

Remember them both well. Rick Dalrymple and Tony Bell. Pretty sure they had something to do with Bird's Nest/Dalrymples/Gloucester and now Laines.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The Stag is my local too. But good news! it's reopening after a huge refurb apparently.

Is Squeaky the bar 'person' still alive I wonder? It was a long time before todays more liberal Brighton and surrounding areas morphed into what they are today.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Used to live opp the George, and the Stag in the old village... cant say I ever liked the Stag...seemed a bit 'posh' for the likes of me, and my family., We used (father lived in) the George (Peter Ward used to use it as well, when he first came to Brighton. Came home on leave and found him playing cards with my mother). Younger drinkers used to head for the Mill, and it was always lively, and always thought it was the type of place that would be there forever.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Pubs have priced themselves out of the market. Supply and demand economics...
not pubs exactly, pub chain companies like Punch Taverns and Enterprise Taverns who buy up free houses and turn them into tied businesses, charge a fortune for booze and rent to leasehold Tennant's, who can only make money from food and this fail in a lot if cases. This then allows the owner company to sell to a developer at the right price, Tesco etc who don't need to apply for change of use permission as there are already alcohol and food licences in place....its a simple but profitable business strategy.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus

A huge refurb was desperately needed. It had gone seriously downhill, in the 80s when I first used to drink there it was a seriously nice pub that served a beautifully kept Gales HSB. Last time I was in there (a couple of years ago) it was filthy. Horrible. Whatsmore the old landlady, who seemed to have been there forever was gradually getting more drunk and more rude over the years.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Pubs have priced themselves out of the market. Supply and demand economics...

Sorry, but that's crap. Supermarkets have created a whole new sales value stream with cheap booze but pubs just can't compete against. It's not just simple supply and demand it's also a society shift. Pubs were the centre of communities, somewhere you could go to to meet family and friends and check all was OK.

Now we're more interested in getting more ale for our £ than the local community, all this BS about pricing is already impacting rurally on the old and needy who have lost their communication hub and means of checking all are ok.

Pubs are the lifeblood but we've lost them because we don't care, all we care about is high volume cheap ale

Whinge over ...

dandanthebrightonfan

Jan 29, 2012
BN14
How's the hangover this morning Dan ? Hopefully it was a late one - perhaps still on going without the fear of a licence being taken away !!
i was very sensible i drifted off home at around 8 unlike the 2 people i'm working with who were nowhere to be seen this morning lightweights.
down the George after work for a couple, onwards and upwards.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
As a Deacons Drive born lad I used their side wall for football practice. I remember taking back lemonade bottles to get 2p or something cashback in the mid to late 70s from their off-licence. The Dalrymples! There's a blast from the past! The Mill House was my old mans local for many years. Sad.

dandanthebrightonfan

Jan 29, 2012
BN14
I guess the football team will still be going next season?

i don't know to be honest the sunday mill house team stop playing out of the pub a few years ago, i did here that they were knocking it on the head at the end of the last season but i'm not sure,they were a very good team 10 years ago won the league, both cups and the Sussex cup all in one season.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
i don't know to be honest the sunday mill house team stop playing out of the pub a few years ago, i did here that they were knocking it on the head at the end of the last season but i'm not sure,they were a very good team 10 years ago won the league, both cups and the Sussex cup all in one season.

Yep used to play against them, very good on a Sunday, I havent played for a few years, but they still seem to be one of the best Sunday teams.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Sorry, but that's crap. Supermarkets have created a whole new sales value stream with cheap booze but pubs just can't compete against. It's not just simple supply and demand it's also a society shift. Pubs were the centre of communities, somewhere you could go to to meet family and friends and check all was OK.

Now we're more interested in getting more ale for our £ than the local community, all this BS about pricing is already impacting rurally on the old and needy who have lost their communication hub and means of checking all are ok.

Pubs are the lifeblood but we've lost them because we don't care, all we care about is high volume cheap ale

Whinge over ...

The rot started setting in in the mid to late 80s. I can remember as a teenager the weekend started on Thursdays, and f you got to a town centre pub after 8, then there was NO chance of getting a seat. We often used to meet upstairs at the Quadrant at 7:30 and it was already getting packed. I don't think it was a lack of community spirit that made people stay at home and drink rather than go to the pub, it was increasing unemployment, along with increased taxes on alcohol making drinking in the pub unaffordable. It was the fault of government and circumstance rather than the breweries. There was a also a concerted effort to stop thr monopoly on pubs that breweries held, which while it was well inentioned, backfired badly. Forcing breweries to sell off pubs didn't result in lots of privately owned freehouses as was hoped, it led to the creation of chains of pubs owned by companies that weren't breweries, who often tied themselves to breweries anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here