Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last goalie sent off at the Albion

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We had such high hopes at that point which were quickly banished and then sunk into despair.

And therein lies the Albion in a nutshell for much of my supporting life :lol:

I think the Gills goalie was Phil Kite #statto

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I think it was the League Cup :)

The defender that went in goal was about 5'9" & we barely managed a shot after he went in.

And so began a long personal history of watching the Albion be bloody awful in that competition.

I remember that game. The keeper was sent off very early and we all assumed the game would be a stroll. We'd not considered one important factor - This was the first round of the League Cup. Brighton always used to lose to lower League Teams in the League Cup. A tradition that was revived this year.

The sub keeper looked totally unorthodox, but somehow stopped everything thrown at him, plus making the decisive save in the shoot out. I'm struggling to remember who missed the penalty for us? Wilkins?

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Last time i remember was the Yeovil keeper in 2009 when we trounced them 5-0 at the withdean. Cant remember jis nmae but i remember he was american with a bit of a funny surname. I think his first name was josh?

That was the one and only goalkeeper I have seen sent off in an Albion game that I have been to. 2 Yellows was it not, second for handball outside the area.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I remember that game. The keeper was sent off very early and we all assumed the game would be a stroll. We'd not considered one important factor - This was the first round of the League Cup. Brighton always used to lose to lower League Teams in the League Cup. A tradition that was revived this year.

The sub keeper looked totally unorthodox, but somehow stopped everything thrown at him, plus making the decisive save in the shoot out. I'm struggling to remember who missed the penalty for us? Wilkins?
Was the goalkeeper called Haylock (or something similar)?

Mark Beany at Blackburn many years ago

I was at that game, George Courtney was the ref I think and he always had it in for us. I seem to remember Beeney was also sent off at Bournemouth for a similar offence.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I remember the Darlington keeper being sent off in a game at the Goldstone.
An outfield player (Brian Honour ?)went in goal and,true to type, we didn't make another shot on goal that match !
God above knows when that was though - waaaaay back in the 80s I'm guessing

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Haylock went in goal for them when Phil Kite got sent off. He was the 2nd shortest man on the pitch, only David Gipp was shorter. Chris Hutchings scored a 25 yarder for us and we won 1-0 but having lost the first leg it went to extra time and pens.

My hunch also tells me that it was Hutchings who had his penalty saved by Paul Haylock, the dwarf keeper. Could be doing him a disservice though.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My hunch also tells me that it was Hutchings who had his penalty saved by Paul Haylock, the dwarf keeper. Could be doing him a disservice though.

Kite was sent off for a professional foul- it wasn't long after the rules had been revised and players could no longer get away with tripping an attacker who was clean through on goal.

Well, apart from Tom Heaton, I mean. Anyway, Kite cleaned out Paul Wood, as I recall, and duly received the red card. I think we were quite excited, as it's not often you get to see a keeper sent off. How wrong we were.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Kite was sent off for a professional foul- it wasn't long after the rules had been revised and players could no longer get away with tripping an attacker who was clean through on goal.

Well, apart from Tom Heaton, I mean. Anyway, Kite cleaned out Paul Wood, as I recall, and duly received the red card. I think we were quite excited, as it's not often you get to see a keeper sent off. How wrong we were.

It was actually John Crumplin that got taken out. Funnily enough I have the Tony Millard summary of that game from Southern Sound on my hard drive. I've been trying to figure out how to upload it due to this thread and also the sad death of Tony.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
I remember seeing a young keeper sent off at the Goldstone in the early/mid 90s in front of the South Stand - he slid to claim the ball (inside the area), his momentum took him out of the box, the linesman flagged for handball and the ref (harshly, I remember thinking) sent him off, even though there were no Albion players anywhere near him or the ball.

I've an idea it was against Rotherham - possibly a young Matt Clarke - but it's entirely possible I'm merging different games in my head here.

Dec 29, 2012
United Kingdom
I remember seeing a young keeper sent off at the Goldstone in the early/mid 90s in front of the South Stand - he slid to claim the ball (inside the area), his momentum took him out of the box, the linesman flagged for handball and the ref (harshly, I remember thinking) sent him off, even though there were no Albion players anywhere near him or the ball.

I've an idea it was against Rotherham - possibly a young Matt Clarke - but it's entirely possible I'm merging different games in my head here.

It was hpool in the 92_93 season there keeper sent off in the 2nd minute.Chapman missed the penalty after their fullback went in goal. Foster scored second half only for us to miss loads off chances and they scored in the 90th minute with their only chance.typical albion

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Darlington had a keeper sent off at Gillingham after about 10-15 minutes and had to put some short outfield player in goal. Needless to say the game ended 0-0

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
It was hpool in the 92_93 season there keeper sent off in the 2nd minute.Chapman missed the penalty after their fullback went in goal. Foster scored second half only for us to miss loads off chances and they scored in the 90th minute with their only chance.typical albion

I remember that game as well, but this was a different match, probably a season or two after at a guess. Was a free kick rather than pen anyway in the game I was at, as the red card was for handball outside the area.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
I remember Gillingham's goalkeeper being sent off against us in the AMC, they had to use an outfield player in goal (they'd used all their subs) and we still managed to lose a penalty shootout against them after extra time! Ron, Ron, Ron Fearon was in goal for us that game, remember him?

Great days, great days.

Ronny Fearon wears a cap!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here