Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Last game of the season LIverpool (A)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A couple of years ago Man United v Bournemouth, which was due to be played on last day of season was postponed to the next day due to a bomb scare. Dont beleive either team needed x points or goals to avoid relegation/achieve a CL spot however

Technically I think United did, but it was something ridiculous like +10 required.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Not last season they weren't, with a game to go they were 6 points behind 5th place.

What if the Liverpool game was postponed for some reason and rescheduled for a week later. Brighton had to win by two clear goals to stay up and Liverpool played a weakened team as they were in the CL final ten days later. If Brighton won, you can bet there'd be serious protests from the side that went down.

2016 then, jesus! you have the internet go have a look.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
No waiting for the cheap train tickets to be released

Any idea as to when this may happen? At the moment I’m being quoted over £100 for a same day return. Thank you in advance for your help.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Any idea as to when this may happen? At the moment I’m being quoted over £100 for a same day return. Thank you in advance for your help.

I was having a flick though the Virgin Trains site earlier and there were no advance fares listed until about the middle of March for a Sunday on the London Liverpool part. On that basis it would be end of March or early April, but its advertised as up to 24 weeks in advance so the only way is to regularly look.

At the moment its £114.80 return for two using a two together card but that's off peak not advance, on 25 March with advance fares its £87 return for two.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Tell me, how is it a party if we get relegated? Small time thinking.

Because it’s our last game of the season and possibly last game in the top flight- for now. Nothing to be sorry for if we are relegated and players have done us proud. It’s a weekend away for many too. I’m going to enjoy it whatever happens.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I was having a flick though the Virgin Trains site earlier and there were no advance fares listed until about the middle of March for a Sunday on the London Liverpool part. On that basis it would be end of March or early April, but its advertised as up to 24 weeks in advance so the only way is to regularly look.

At the moment its £114.80 return for two using a two together card but that's off peak not advance, on 25 March with advance fares its £87 return for two.

Thank you. I do keep looking but I just use the trainline app. Is there any advantage to looking directly at Virgin Trains? I’d thought that if cost comes down then trainline would pass it on or is that not the case. Sorry to be a pain.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Just looked up hotels for the Saturday night. Travelodge & Premier Inn both over £140 for one night. Blimey, I thought Brighton was expensive!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Because it’s our last game of the season and possibly last game in the top flight- for now. Nothing to be sorry for if we are relegated and players have done us proud. It’s a weekend away for many too. I’m going to enjoy it whatever happens.

If we are already relegated by the time we rock up at Anfield then that's one thing as I'll already have come to terms with it. But if we need a point or 3 to stay up and don't get it, or if other results on the day conspire to send us down then I will be GUTTED, and partying would be the last thing on my mind.

I would, however, get very, very drunk.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
As a matter of interest, does anyone know what happens if a match isn't completed on that day - for example, because of crowd trouble or a bomb scare or because of Fabrice Muamba-type incident?

If the match that is due to be completed later requires a team to win by three clear goals, say, to avoid relegation would there likely to be a legal challenge or dismissed as one of those things. In other words, is the concept of simultaneous final games part of the league rules?

In 1996 York City played their last match on 9th May, five days after the rest of the division finished their season. They knew they needed a point to stay up - if they lost they were relegated and Carlisle stayed up in their place. They fell behind as well but three second half goals against a hapless Brighton kept them up.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Thank you. I do keep looking but I just use the trainline app. Is there any advantage to looking directly at Virgin Trains? I’d thought that if cost comes down then trainline would pass it on or is that not the case. Sorry to be a pain.

I never use train line and I think the prices are the same anyway

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In 1996 York City played their last match on 9th May, five days after the rest of the division finished their season. They knew they needed a point to stay up - if they lost they were relegated and Carlisle stayed up in their place. They fell behind as well but three second half goals against a hapless Brighton kept them up.

Didn't Forest win a League title on a beach in Majorca after they'd completed their fixtures, and Liverpool had to win at Wolves but didn't, or something ?

History is littered with season-defining games not being played simultaneously. Heck, they even altered the format of the World Cup after that West Germany v Austria carve-up.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I asked the club and it seems nothing is set in stone yet

Thank you for contacting Brighton and Hove Albion F.C.

I can confirm that at the moment, all Premier League games are set to be played on Sunday 13th of May. However, the Premier League have not completely confirmed that to us yet. They will notify us soon if this is set to change.

Going off last year's Premier League games, the decided not to change anything, however they still have the power to rearrange all of them.

Apologies I couldn't give you any more clarity on this, but it should be clearer in the coming weeks.

Kind regards,

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
As a matter of interest, does anyone know what happens if a match isn't completed on that day - for example, because of crowd trouble or a bomb scare or because of Fabrice Muamba-type incident?

If the match that is due to be completed later requires a team to win by three clear goals, say, to avoid relegation would there likely to be a legal challenge or dismissed as one of those things. In other words, is the concept of simultaneous final games part of the league rules?

Are you planning something?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here