Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last day stitch up?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Well fixing a result is cheating, that's what Spurs v Saints did to us in 78'. Why would we want our club put through the dirt?

This. Anyone seriously thinking a contrived draw is a good idea ought to remember just how we felt in 1978.

Most important right now is the upcoming game against Derby that we need to win before we start talking about the last game of the season.

Derby will do nothing less than to try and ruin our day and I'm sure that is what Chris Hughton is telling everybody at the club. Ignoring the Boro game until later on Monday.

As fans we need to enjoy the day, be relaxed and be the noisiest we have ever been at The Amex.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Play for a win. Playing for a draw would make me feel edgy - you'd need Boro on board with the plan too!

Play for the win on Monday too with no let up until the final whistle.

larus

Sorry if I wasn't clear. My hypothetical scenario is based on the idea we could go into the game with both teams playing for the draw.

For this to occur, both teams would have to be certain that Burnley could not better either teams goal difference.
Burnley currently have +3 on our GD and + 1 on Boro.
Therefore both teams would have to have a significant advantage over Burnley on GD to entertain the idea that a stitch up draw is a viable option.

I proposed at least 6-0 vs Derby for us to have enough of a cushion to consider it. 3 to make up the gap + 3 more to set a target of 4-0 for Burnley.
Boro would probably need to beat Brum by 4 or 5 before they would entertain the idea, as they h.ave scored less goals than Burnley.

As I said all hypothetical, I can't see Burnley slipping up now, so the stitch up option is an unlikely event to say the least.
OK, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant the draw for us.
Yes, if Burnley draw, then they would still be in with a great chance of going up, It looks likely a shoot-out between us and Boro.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
If that scenario were to come about then I think us and Boro would go for the win. HOWEVER, if it was say, 1-1 with ten minutes to go then you could certainly see an unplanned 'quiet' period of the game.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Ask me on the day. Right now I'm in the mind that we are Brighton & Hove Albion and we do not do that sort of thing.
And I would bet CH is in the same mind.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
So, if it came down to a draw on the last day to send both ourselves and Boro up would you be pleased to see a fabricated draw. Leaving Burnley stitched up? I feel pretty mixed about it. Great,we would achieve the goal but if it was Boro and Burnley stitching us up in that manner I'd be livid. What do you feel about it?

Oh we are having another thread about this are we?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Many teams "play for a draw" consistently throughout the season (or at least most away games) in order to gain a valuable point rather than risking coming away with nothing. It is not cheating when it happens in all the previous games, so I don't understand why it would be 'cheating' in the last game of the season.

If one team needs a point for promotion and comes and plays a 10-0-0 formation in order to try to secure that, they I am indifferent. It won't be "pretty" football but it will be effective for their team. If it happens that both teams need a point to secure promotion and *both* play 10-0-0 making a really dull game but both teams walking away with the point they need... that is football.

Cheating would only enter into it if, having gone 1-0 up, that team deliberately allow the other team to equalise. Other than that, no different to any other "park the bus and play for a point" game. Dull but effective.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Many teams "play for a draw" consistently throughout the season (or at least most away games) in order to gain a valuable point rather than risking coming away with nothing. It is not cheating when it happens in all the previous games, so I don't understand why it would be 'cheating' in the last game of the season.

The question would be whether both teams agreed to it beforehand - that would be cheating. Setting up defensively and neither side showing much attacking intent would be fine - as long as there was no prearrangement to do that. I think that is the difference.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Going to be all sorts of conspiracy theories going round, courtesy of whoever finishes third. Them's the rules.

I must admit, if it does transpire that we "conveniently" draw with Boro to finish 1st and 2nd, I cannot wait to see Dyche turning all sorts of shades of purple as his head explodes in indignation

Even better though, would be to pip Burnley on goals scored and then watch him rant about the goal that wasn't given against us at The Amex :lolol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm 95% certain Burnley will go up - only really need 4 points baring a mental goal swing. 2 easiest games and advantage of us playing Boro last game. All this talk about Burnley will probably prove pointless. Bookies have them 1/16 too...

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
Take each game as it comes. It's up to us to win the games we have left and not worry about anyone else. The team is playing well and full of confidence, even when we conced a goal the heads don't drop.
Take the next game, win it, then move on to the last game and try and win again!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Take each game as it comes. It's up to us to win the games we have left and not worry about anyone else. The team is playing well and full of confidence, even when we conced a goal the heads don't drop.
Take the next game, win it, then move on to the last game and try and win again!

Agree... our future is in our own hands. Win both our games and we go up.

However, it would really be nice to be able to go into the last game with phrases like "a win or a draw is enough" rather than it being a "must win".

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm 95% certain Burnley will go up - only really need 4 points baring a mental goal swing. 2 easiest games and advantage of us playing Boro last game. All this talk about Burnley will probably prove pointless. Bookies have them 1/16 too...

I agree completely, but it would still be funny seeing Dyche going batshit mental at any perceived "stitch up"

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015
Don't imagine the thought will even go through Hughton's mind. He'll be very much focussed on getting the win.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here