Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Laser eye surgery

torchieboy

Jul 11, 2003
felpham, near bognor regis
Interesting. I've got an eye test on Wednesday, and the last couple of times he's mentioned early cataracts. I can see lens replacement as a possibility, even if I still need reading glasses. Was it expensive?

Good luck with the progress.

Had it done thru my work medical insurance. Paid the £100 excess. Saw the bill. £800 for each eye then 3 appointments were £400. Scans about £500. Room cost and extras were about £500. Total about £3000.
NHS was a 12 month wait. Glad I've got the Insurance. Never used it in 17 years.
Wear rearing glasses but given me a confidence boost after discovering the cataracts.

Ozymandias86

Jun 24, 2011
Kanazawa
Bouncing this thread to see if anyone has any recent laser eye surgery provider recommendations, please - it’s a jungle out there…

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Bouncing this thread to see if anyone has any recent laser eye surgery provider recommendations, please - it’s a jungle out there…
Had laser about 10 years ago. Went to a few different places in London for consultation not really knowing if it was right for me, and every place was like 'yes sir come this way, we can do it straight away'. It just felt a bit like they wanted my money and didnt really care if actually doing the procedure was going to be good for me. I then went to Moorefield private, had a thorough consultation, various eye tests, spoke at great length with the surgeon (Mark I think his name was) about why I was considering it, and it felt a lot more like they would only continue with things if they definitely felt it would improve things for me. That put me a lot more at ease. Had it done, everything was perfect, improvement in eyesight was almost immediate, and have never regretted my choice.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Mrs Blue3 had lazor eye surgery twenty years ago having worn glasses most of her life it gave her 18 years of 20/20 vision which is now starting to deteriorate to the point she now needs glasses to read.

If 18 / 20 years of not wearing glasses is important to you then do a cost analysis 20 years of new glasses £650 every four years x five times = £3,250 cost of surgery average £2,000 per eye age 18/45 bracket then the cost of surgery minus not paying for 20 years of new glasses is in the region of £750

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Had mine at Optimax in Croydon (it was the only branch at the time) in 2002, when I was 27.
Seventeen years later, and it’s still the second best money I’ve ever spent (best money I ever spent was for IVF)
Cost me £1100 if I recall correctly, and have had 3 eye tests since with negligible deterioration recorded.
So in all fairness, an update.
At the time, I was advised the corrective laser surgery would last about 20 years / into my mid 40s.

I had the work done when I was 27, and true to their prediction, I had to start wearing glasses for close up viewing when I hit 47.
I’m 49 this year and I tend to wear glasses for anything up to a metre away now.

It’s odd though, as pre surgery I was short sighted, and now I’m long sighted. I can see things clear as a bell at distance (so no need to wear them at football) but pretty much wear the glasses for everything else.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Mrs Blue3 had lazor eye surgery twenty years ago having worn glasses most of her life it gave her 18 years of 20/20 vision which is now starting to deteriorate to the point she now needs glasses to read.

If 18 / 20 years of not wearing glasses is important to you then do a cost analysis 20 years of new glasses £650 every four years x five times = £3,250 cost of surgery average £2,000 per eye age 18/45 bracket then the cost of surgery minus not paying for 20 years of new glasses is in the region of £750
You really pay £650 for new glasses

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Had my cataracts done last year and was offered replacement lenses at the same time, all on the NHS. I had to have a follow up laser treatment to clear some misting but all OK now. Oddly one lens is for distance and one for reading. It all works. First time without glasses since I was eight.
Amazing.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Just had a double cataract operation and had both lenses replaced with long distance one as opposed to plain/clear or bifocal ones. Need reading glasses but vision now is superb. Night driving is a bit of a pain at the moment with the lights. Lens replacement seems to be the up and coming way to go
Recently had both cataracts removed and replaced with new lens. Fantastic, short sightedness gone and can see the matches at the Amex the best I have ever done so before.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I had laser eye surgery back in 2021 and it's one of the best decisions I've made. I'd either be wearing glasses all the time or contact lenses when I was doing anything active, which I always found a real pain.

I was told I would need to wear reading glasses eventually. There's nothing I can do about that and now I'm in my 40s, I don't think it will be too long. My vision is still fine but my optometrist recommended I wear glasses when I'm working, as I have a tendency to strain my eyes staring at screens all day. It's a bit annoying having glasses again so soon but it's literally just for working and I think the blue light filter does help.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Had my cataracts done last year and was offered replacement lenses at the same time, all on the NHS. I had to have a follow up laser treatment to clear some misting but all OK now. Oddly one lens is for distance and one for reading. It all works. First time without glasses since I was eight.
Amazing.

Recently had both cataracts removed and replaced with new lens. Fantastic, short sightedness gone and can see the matches at the Amex the best I have ever done so before.
I've been on the NHS cataracts waiting list for well over a year now.
I've had severe myopia in both eyes since childhood [-9 and -15] but prescription has been stable for years.
Been wearing rigid gas permeable contacts for almost 50 years.
Reading glasses have been essential for all close-up work for the last 5 years - I'm 64 now.

Fingers crossed I get my call-up soon ....

@ofco8 was yours done private or NHS?

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
I've been on the NHS cataracts waiting list for well over a year now.
I've had severe myopia in both eyes since childhood [-9 and -15] but prescription has been stable for years.
Been wearing rigid gas permeable contacts for almost 50 years.
Reading glasses have been essential for all close-up work for the last 5 years - I'm 64 now.

Fingers crossed I get my call-up soon ....

@ofco8 was yours done private or NHS?
What optician are you using? I used a small independent and was seen very quickly.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
What optician are you using? I used a small independent and was seen very quickly.
My contact lenses and glasses are provided by Specsavers.

Because I'm diabetic, I get an annual eye test and contact lens check for free with them.

I'm at Shrewsbury NHS Eye Hospital for cataracts and also having ongoing Glaucoma treatment there too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here