Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Las Vegas

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Can someone tell me why people go to Vegas?

I assume you have not been to Vegas. Not everyone's cup of tea but you need to go to see if you like it. Impossible to describe it because the buzz of the place needs to be seen and experienced. So much more now to Vegas now than just gambling and shows.
Anyway about the hotels. If you are loaded and want to stay in a top hotel then fine but for me it makes no difference because the only thing that is exclusive in your hotel is your room and time spent in your room is a waste of time. The location may be good but there are things to see and do all along the strip.
Personally I prefer Fremont and the old vegas.
I have not been for a while and things may be exclusive now like pool and gardens but all hotels were open to anyone when I was there.
The problem with Vegas is you leave feeling that you have only scratched the surface and you may have missed out on something better.
I loved the lounge style bars in the hotels and loved the food, the shows are extraordinary. Great place to visit.

Can someone tell me why people go to Vegas?

It's pretty much the most fun you will ever have.

I've never gambled in my life but love the place.

I wanted to see an Elvis Costello gig in Los Angeles the night before I was due to arrive, so was bloody cursing and nearly driving off the road as I drove through the night to get there - but what a way to first see the place, like some science fiction vision gradually rising out of the desert at 4am.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
It seems I'm alone in thinking it was OK, but no more than that. Blackpool with gigantic, glittery, gold-painted brass knobs on. With feathers.

Nice to play a bit of poker, nice hotels, amazing buffets (the food waste - bloody hell...) but I was happy enough to come home after four days there. The Grand Canyon knocked anything Vegas had to offer into a cocked hat - that really was extraordinary.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, had a good time there, but compared to, say, Venice in particular, but also Rome, Barcelona, Madrid, even Amsterdam, it's a fair way down my own list of 'must return to' cities.

synavm

May 2, 2013
Love the place.

As has been pointed out, the Bellagio is certainly the better hotel both in 'quality' (not sure quality is the word for anything in Vegas, but it's certainly a nicer hotel) and most importantly in location. For me that central area around Caesers, Bellagio, Cosmopolitan, Planet Hollywood and Paris is the best. I'm looking at getting back out there soon.

With regards to Fremont, it's great to visit but Downtown in general is quite run down. The mile long LED cannopy helps, but you can still see the area is grimey. Wouldn't stay there, but definitely get on the Deuce bus and visit there.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Hope the weather conforms for you. I heard from my American mates that a bit of winter blew in about a week ago and turned things really cold. There was huge snowfall in the Grand Canyon and other mountainous regions around southern Nevada. No snow in Vegas but pretty cold for that area.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/las-vegas-roll-dice-cold-new-years-eve-weather

This was a pre-snow story. FYI--32 degrees F is zero degrees C and that was the low on NYE.

Grand-canyon-snow-500.jpg

Last edited:

goldstone68

Aug 31, 2014
darkside
Las Vegas, we went a few years back and stayed at the Flamingo for 7days, I'm not a gambler and I thought that it would be a waste of a holiday, boy was I wrong, great place and had a great time. Lots to see in the hotels, Blue man group is a must also La Reve' is a great show. We chose the Flamingo because it seemed central to the strip, walking is not a problem but the buses are cheap, and also free drinks mainly when you are sat at the machines. Only thing that got on my nerves were the people thrusting call girl cards in your face on street corners, will go again some day hopefully when the Nascar is on.

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
I am seeking the advice of the NSC brain trust on my impending trip to Las Vegas. I will be going at the beginning of May with Mrs JVW, my brother and his missus. We will be there for 4 nights. Currently we're torn between staying at the Bellagio or the MGM Grand.

Does anyone have any better suggestions? Or first hand experience of these two hotels?

If you and your brother are Boxing men then Floyd Mayweather is due to fight at the MGM on Sat May 2nd if you are out there by then. They are really talking up the Pacquaio or Khan fight but I'm guessing they won't come thru so you'll probably be able to get some tickets for it at a reasonable cost. Can't beat a fight weekend in Vegas.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I'm seeing some people planning short trips, i'd have thought for that length of flight you wouldn't got for less that 10-14 day?
I looking to go there for the first time but get bored easily in the same place so want to do the canyon, LA and possibly SF as i understand its only 6 hours drive away is that right?
Am i best to book as a package or just arrange hotel in Vegas and just turn up isn LA and find something when i'm there?
Also any recommendation as who to book through? As the wife works at a school im limited to school holidays so know i'm going to get spanked.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm seeing some people planning short trips, i'd have thought for that length of flight you wouldn't got for less that 10-14 day?
I looking to go there for the first time but get bored easily in the same place so want to do the canyon, LA and possibly SF as i understand its only 6 hours drive away is that right?
Am i best to book as a package or just arrange hotel in Vegas and just turn up isn LA and find something when i'm there?
Also any recommendation as who to book through? As the wife works at a school im limited to school holidays so know i'm going to get spanked.

A travel agent sorted us through United vacations to do Vegas LA and SF over 2 weeks flying between cities three years ago. Brilliant time although LA was a bit of a disappointment. If you have to choose between LA and SF it's got to be SF every time. This year we are doing Vegas Seattle Vancouver.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If you and your brother are Boxing men then Floyd Mayweather is due to fight at the MGM on Sat May 2nd if you are out there by then. They are really talking up the Pacquaio or Khan fight but I'm guessing they won't come thru so you'll probably be able to get some tickets for it at a reasonable cost. Can't beat a fight weekend in Vegas.

And everything doubles in price, especially room rates.
Or at least it did when I went a few years ago (Tyson)

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Vegas is OK.

Used to like it a lot more when I was younger.

Plus points

- good and plentiful food. Not in the top echelon you will find a lot better in London.
- shows are good if you are into that kind of thing
-Gambling is second to none. Clearly!
-hotels are great value. Wynn and encore are the best. Bellagio is looking a bit tired.
-clubs and pool parties are spectacular. No pool parties in the winter.

Negatives

-full of some of the worst vermin imaginable. Vulgar Americans the worst kind. Entertaining for a bit, irritating after a while.
- you will leave poor. People literally take money out of your pockets. Pure American capitalism at its worst.
-it hasn't really evolved in the last few years ... Same old same old, no progression.
-drinking and being in the dessert sends you slightly mad after a few days.
-unless you pay an obscene amount at the clubs you get treated like dirt. You don't just need a table you need a 'good' table. Otherwise you may as well just stand in the toilet .... Or sorry, the queue for the toilet!!

Enjoy

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
A travel agent sorted us through United vacations to do Vegas LA and SF over 2 weeks flying between cities three years ago. Brilliant time although LA was a bit of a disappointment. If you have to choose between LA and SF it's got to be SF every time. This year we are doing Vegas Seattle Vancouver.

Agree I hated LA.
If I was to go round that side of the planet again I could not resist a visit over 2 weeks to Vegas and kauai (Hawaii) loved both of them.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

You wouldn't want to go for that long; you'd probably die. I've been 4 times: twice for 3 nights, once for 4 nights and once for 5. The 5 nighter was probably one night too many.

Best thing to do is book your hotel in hotels.com, or something similar, before you leave the UK. There are so many thousands of hotel rooms in that town that the prices on a standard room tend to be competitive, even on the main strip. They go up a bit at weekends, but you won't pay extra becuase it's school holidays; Vegas is not a great place for kids.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here