Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Large protest tonight Brighton!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Unfortunately I think a lot of people (as evidenced by this thread, especially the early pages) simply don't understand the ramifications of what this bill does or what it actually means. They just lazily make the link (egged on by a partisan media) of protests equals lefty trouble-makers equals "**** 'em, go get a job and a wash". It's a triumph of the gaslighting of the public by the right over the last decade or more.

The tragedy is once civil liberties are lost it's a long, hard road to get them back. And I highly doubt this Government will be content once this bill has passed.

Except that the pre-cursor to this bill was the Serious Organised Crime & Police Act 2005... Introduced under Labour to 'control' anti-war protests in Parliament Sq but actually covered a large part of London and was as Draconian as this bill.

All governments seem to dislike people protesting what they do whatever colour they operate under.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Well apart from world wars ( I’m an ex servicemen before you use that one) in the last 100 years what has been successfully protested that changed the world that I live in , genuine question and happy to be educated[emoji106]

Apartheid in South Africa, Poll Tax, fracking, the Berlin Wall, stonewall riots for homosexual equality, Tahir Square Protests, Egypt 2011. To force Hosni Mubarak out of power, March on Washington, USA 1963. Raise awareness about racial inequality and demand equal rights.

All of the above would be illegal in this country if the police decide if this bill is passed. Nazi Germany took away people’s rights to protest. Look what came next. Communism too, do we want that sort of society?

What if a government in future decided it was going to do away with elections all together? And we couldn’t protest?

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As you say, there are good and bad on both sides. A poster on Nsc from Bristol has said the protests were peaceful until the police waded in. So two sides to every story.
There is footage of police wading in using their riot shields like axe heads. A journalist has complained of being assaulted.

I’ve since found out it’s called blading, and is an unlawful use of riot shields. This is covered in public order training.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
For real?

Apartheid in South Africa, Poll Tax, fracking, the Berlin Wall, stonewall riots for homosexual equality, Tahir Square Protests, Egypt 2011. To force Hosni Mubarak out of power, March on Washington, USA 1963. Raise awareness about racial inequality and demand equal rights.

All of the above would be illegal in this country if the police decide if this bill is passed. Nazi Germany took away people’s rights to protest. Look what came next.
[emoji106]
I've met a few ex service men and what brains they had is drilled out of them so no point arguing unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Interesting, so your happy with the right to not protest? Would you let the government slowly turn you into a robot and be happy living in a world where you can’t make a mistake without it getting logged onto a system somewhere? They want control of people and this is the first step, frightening really in China facial recognition can determine class even from how people walk.

I think the right to not protest is just as important as the right to protest. Both rights should be equally protected.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

All of the above would be illegal in this country if the police decide if this bill is passed. Nazi Germany took away people’s rights to protest. Look what came next. Communism too, do we want that sort of society?

What if a government in future decided it was going to do away with elections all together? And we couldn’t protest?

And the biggest of them all, the anti-war protest in London, 2003, which ultimately led to the resignation of Tony Blair.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not involved in Falmer for All then, worked quite well 5 decades later

Was living abroad so mostly keeping up with goings on via NSC.

But [MENTION=34864]Live by the sea[/MENTION] was suggesting it as an alternative. Without direct action of other kinds we wouldn't even have seen the Falmer For All stage.

Still, I'm sure writing a nice letter to Boris about climate change should do the job. He seems the honest and open kind.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I made a facetious post early on in this thread. My thinking was that close gatherings of people violating the social distancing and mask wearing advice is idiotic. I just checked the Argus pages (the only place not behind a paywall where I can see pics) and yep, the pictures show a melee, most in masks but many not. There is also a 'defund the police' banner. I understand what this means in the states, where the police are armed to the teeth at great expense, and agree with the campaign, but in the UK? Nah! How to sabotage a good cause by acting like dicks? Tick.

I agree with [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] about the statements in the bill about giving the police the right to wade in if someone reports they are 'seriously annoyed or inconvenienced' by the sight of the great unwashed gathering on the steets. That's bollocks. However....

However, it would have looked much better and had far greater wider traction if the throng had all worn masks and kept socially distanced. Unfortunately, having known agit prop types in my former life, there is a cohort that treat a protest rather like some folk treat a football match - a chance to get off one's tits, and go ****ing mental. Fact.

You have to overlook these things and see the wider picture though. In a protest attended by a lot of people, not everyone is going to act "properly" and not everyone is going to be there for the right reasons but you have to overlook that. In any country where the state can intervene against any kind of protests in any kind of way, one of their tools is always to point out the "troublemaking" minority and use these as a justification to intervene, because they know a lot of people are to narrow-minded to realise that a protest is valid and justified even if not everyone is a "model protester".

There's often going to be disturbances and idiots anywhere where a lot of people gather but you cant let that detract from the real issues.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
You have to overlook these things and see the wider picture though. In a protest attended by a lot of people, not everyone is going to act "properly" and not everyone is going to be there for the right reasons but you have to overlook that. In any country where the state can intervene against any kind of protests in any kind of way, one of their tools is always to point out the "troublemaking" minority and use these as a justification to intervene, because they know a lot of people are to narrow-minded to realise that a protest is valid and justified even if not everyone is a "model protester".

There's often going to be disturbances and idiots anywhere where a lot of people gather but you cant let that detract from the real issues.

Very wise words, but unfortunately wasted on many on here, who will happily parrot the media's portrayal of ALL protesters as soap-dodging, left wing agitators.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
But someone can get an infraction for being "overly irritating' ... surprised there's anyone left posting on NSC :D

That shouldn't happen. Let's face it, our political views irritate the **** out of each other- but I would protest if you went.

Although I'd try not to be 'annoying'. You can be arrested and thrown into jail for being annoying these days...

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Me too.

Sometimes you make your own luck, and if things try stopping you in life, you just adapt and avoid unnecessarily getting involved with stuff that just causes misery and tension.

I do believe people have lost the skills of adaptation and they feel they need to follow like sheep all day long.

Hang on, so I get this clear - people are protesting against something they don't agree with and they're the sheep?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
We have seen people are more than happy to have rights and basic abilities (to see a dying relative etc) stripped away in the past year without so much of a whimper, in fact some people pushing for more and the media have supported this messaging.

Of course there is a difference between a temporary restriction for a greater good and the more permanent restrictions currently being sought by the Government.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Of course there is a difference between a temporary restriction for a greater good and the more permanent restrictions currently being sought by the Government.

They are connected - I’m not sure how it would have been reported if the temp ones are but in place.

Or the reaction by the public.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
[emoji106]
I've met a few ex service men and what brains they had is drilled out of them so no point arguing unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

You think so? There are many ex servicemen on Nsc, and they’re all individuals just like plumbers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here