Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Large protest tonight Brighton!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not sure you need to be a smart arse to point out the obvious !!

The right to protest is great !! The right to protest in "Covid Lockdown" and the right to abuse and attack police and their vehicles. Absolutely not !!

Covid lockdown is starting to ease as the next stage is tomorrow. So why is this government putting through a bill to permanently ban protests, even one person carrying a banner.
Why is the punishment set at ten year’s imprisonment?
A sledge hammer to crack a nut, wouldn’t you say?

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Well apart from world wars ( I’m an ex servicemen before you use that one) in the last 100 years what has been successfully protested that changed the world that I live in , genuine question and happy to be educated[emoji106]

Clearly you’re now trolling, obviously you’re not that daft that you need me to list protests that have changed the world, I’ll leave it there, thanks for the Sunday morning debate, enjoy the rest of your day.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Amazing you pop up after I ask your mate when your ban will be lifted even though I didn’t tag you [emoji6]

What's that got to do with protests?

You seem very active on this thread. I'm sure you wouldn't want to lose access to it :wink:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
What's that got to do with protests?

You seem very active on this thread. I'm sure you wouldn't want to lose access to it :wink:

You are very strange, I’ve conducted myself in a polite fashion on this thread, don’t you think it’s ironic that your mate turns up and it starts to go south with smatterings of your snide rhetoric thrown in for good measure, ban me me if that’s what you want to do I know you love the power it gives you [emoji122][emoji122]

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I'm frankly amazed that more people aren't protesting....obviously Covid restrictions are a big factor for many people, but this government is putting in place unbelievably draconian legislation. In fact, they are probably doing it now because they know that in normal times there would be full scale riots. And for those Conservative voters who are relatively relaxed about this legislation, maybe take time to imagine what it might be like to live with such legislation with a left-wing Labour government in power. I don't think this is about political ideology, it's about a basic human right - we SHOULD be allowed to protest - even if that is slightly annoying to a few people.

Jan 30, 2008
They were protesting about the police trying to stop protesting. Bunch of unwashed idiots, letting off flares outside the police station, shouting **** the police, calling them wankers etc.
Police should've tear gassed the lot of them for breaking lockdown rules.

Spot on
Regards
DF

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I get protesting against the bill that makes sense and should be supported but why are they so anti police? The angst shoud be focused on government particularly the Home Office but many protesters seem more than happy to just take it out on the police.
This ends up losing focus on the real problem and losing the support of the masses. Still gets a good selfie on Instagram or Facebook.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

This.
The bill that effectively bans any peaceful protest should be contested and I am 100 percent behind not introducing this bill.
But calling the protest"kill the bill"which is very similar to "kill the old bill" will attract a few who's views are very anti-police and want to fight the police rather than protest against the government legislation.
The police are doing there jobs and will enforce whatever legislation comes in,that is their job.
But it's the government who are bringing in the law not the police and the protesters who are there purely to cause violence against the police are playing into the hands of the government and making it easier for the bill to be passed which is something I definitely don't want to see happen in this country, especially with all the things they have planned for us over the next 10 years.
I am fully behind anyone that protests or marches against the bill being passed but lets
Fight the legislation but don't fight the police.

Jan 30, 2008
You are very strange, I’ve conducted myself in a polite fashion on this thread, don’t you think it’s ironic that your mate turns up and it starts to go south with smatterings of your snide rhetoric thrown in for good measure, ban me me if that’s what you want to do I know you love the power it gives you [emoji122][emoji122]

All the best Norrh stand chat
Regards
DF

D

Deleted member 2719

I’m clearly very lucky, in my 51 years apart from the Albion troubles, I’ve never felt the need to protest anything [emoji1745]

Me too.

Sometimes you make your own luck, and if things try stopping you in life, you just adapt and avoid unnecessarily getting involved with stuff that just causes misery and tension.

I do believe people have lost the skills of adaptation and they feel they need to follow like sheep all day long.

I honestly see them as Brian followers.

https://youtu.be/jVygqjyS4CA

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I must have been under the mistaken impression that, as things stand, the police and authorities have to sanction/approve protests anyway. Organisers have to run their proposals through the local force if certain criteria are met (route, number of protesters expected etc.) Apart from clearly defining in Law what constitutes "harm" to others, I don't think this is as Orwellian as people are making out.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Historically you certainly have a point but in 2021 when the tolerance level is so strict you get reprimanded for not understanding binary isn’t only about computers there isn’t really many good reasons to bother yourself to go on a march not in England anyway . Some other countries , yes but mostly non European ones but not here . I don’t think some people realise how lucky we are .

we are this lucky because of protest, from the peasant's revolt onwards. some people simply don't realise this. in short, know your nation's history

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm frankly amazed that more people aren't protesting....obviously Covid restrictions are a big factor for many people, but this government is putting in place unbelievably draconian legislation. In fact, they are probably doing it now because they know that in normal times there would be full scale riots. And for those Conservative voters who are relatively relaxed about this legislation, maybe take time to imagine what it might be like to live with such legislation with a left-wing Labour government in power. I don't think this is about political ideology, it's about a basic human right - we SHOULD be allowed to protest - even if that is slightly annoying to a few people.

Unfortunately I think a lot of people (as evidenced by this thread, especially the early pages) simply don't understand the ramifications of what this bill does or what it actually means. They just lazily make the link (egged on by a partisan media) of protests equals lefty trouble-makers equals "**** 'em, go get a job and a wash". It's a triumph of the gaslighting of the public by the right over the last decade or more.

The tragedy is once civil liberties are lost it's a long, hard road to get them back. And I highly doubt this Government will be content once this bill has passed.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Unfortunately I think a lot of people (as evidenced by this thread, especially the early pages) simply don't understand the ramifications of what this bill does or what it actually means. They just lazily make the link (egged on by a partisan media) of protests equals lefty trouble-makers equals "**** 'em, go get a job and a wash". It's a triumph of the gaslighting of the public by the right over the last decade or more.

The tragedy is once civil liberties are lost it's a long, hard road to get them back. And I highly doubt this Government will be content once this bill has passed.

We have seen people are more than happy to have rights and basic abilities (to see a dying relative etc) stripped away in the past year without so much of a whimper, in fact some people pushing for more and the media have supported this messaging.

These rights will not come back and the gov will push for more knowing there won’t be much push back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here