Large protest tonight Brighton!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Nor when groups of parents have got together to protest school funding or school kids to protest climate change.

Furthermore, I wonder what will be constituted as a "protest"? Pride, Love Parade and Glastonbury are all noisy and a *bit* political. I'm sure the bill will be very carefully worded to draw a clear and obvious distinction without any loopholes whatsoever, but parliamentary scrutiny does seem to be a bit lacking currently.

I think that's exactly the point the Tory MP was making with his milk protest.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I know we had our two and throes over covid legislation but this is exactly what I was worried about when the covid laws eroded our freedoms temporarily. This bunch of power mad opportunists nutters were never going to be able to give up their new found control.

It's a difficult position, possibly, but I do support lockdowns to save individual lives in a pandemic. I absolutely do NOT support this awful bill and you are spot on in this thread.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
I’m glad the women protested a hundred years ago, despite the pandemic, getting arrested and survived being force fed.
It meant I could have a vote.

Protests work or else we’d all be paying Poll tax.

Just imagine not being allowed to protest against Archer & Bellotti, or to get planning permission for our stadium.

Agree, but the big difference was we protested without violence against the police or anyone really, apart from chasing Bellotti.
All demos lose their way after violence as the general public don't support violence, whatever the cause.
My mate is met police, told me there are good cops and bad ones, but the good ones out-way the bad ones by a hell of a lot. Similar with protestors, but a lot bad ones, thus the rent a mob mentality, that is why they do not get my vote, even for things I feel passionate about. Did anyone notice the other week at Clapham, when that poor women was manhandled, that a lot of the protesters were males with hoods on, why? To fight the police.

On a more amusing story from my mate, he told me it was fun doing Palace football games in
The past as a fully fledged Brighton fan, with some of Croydon's finest snarling and spitting at him, he thought 'double time for smacking a low life with a truncheon' was ok in my book' (again only the bad ones that deserved it).

He also told me during the London riots a few years ago, they were told that they were not allowed to retaliate, whatever the provocation
, as there is CCTV everywhere. They were cornered by some thugs near an alley way, and wanted to react but remember what the boss said, then a message came through their riot helmets' CCTV turned off, Go' he said they learned their lesson in that alley way and all of them were pleading for mercy at the end, is that right or wrong, well you live by the sword you die by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Whatever it is I’m against it

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
9CBE63E3-ED95-4D75-B351-F22165E96149.jpeg

No problem with a peaceful protest :)

This is Bath.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agree, but the big difference was we protested without violence against the police or anyone really, apart from chasing Bellotti.
All demos lose their way after violence as the general public don't support violence, whatever the cause.
My mate is met police, told me there are good cops and bad ones, but the good ones out-way the bad ones by a hell of a lot. Similar with protestors, but a lot bad ones, thus the rent a mob mentality, that is why they do not get my vote, even for things I feel passionate about. Did anyone notice the other week at Clapham, when that poor women was manhandled, that a lot of the protesters were males with hoods on, why? To fight the police.

On a more amusing story from my mate, he told me it was fun doing Palace football games in
The past as a fully fledged Brighton fan, with some of Croydon's finest snarling and spitting at him, he thought 'double time for smacking a low life with a truncheon' was ok in my book' (again only the bad ones that deserved it).

He also told me during the London riots a few years ago, they were told that they were not allowed to retaliate, whatever the provocation
, as there is CCTV everywhere. They were cornered by some thugs near an alley way, and wanted to react but remember what the boss said, then a message came through their riot helmets' CCTV turned off, Go' he said they learned their lesson in that alley way and all of them were pleading for mercy at the end, is that right or wrong, well you live by the sword you die by it.

As you say, there are good and bad on both sides. A poster on Nsc from Bristol has said the protests were peaceful until the police waded in. So two sides to every story.
There is footage of police wading in using their riot shields like axe heads. A journalist has complained of being assaulted.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It doesn’t matter if there was or wasn’t this new Bill would have given the Police the right to stop the Goldstone protests. It will give them the right to Wade in and stop any protest.

Read this. Up to TEN years in prison because they might think you have been an “annoyance” or a “nuisance” on a protest? WTF.

cf81fc347950c9d8eeeed94ed1b0d533.jpg

This is actually Orwellian society being ushered in on the sly, possibly the start of the biggest threat to our liberty since Hitler and the majority are so docile after a year of lapping up everything the Govt tell them that they aren’t even aware that they are about to lose one of their core human rights and are actually criticising people for trying to do something about it.

I say well done to all those that have actually taken the time to understand and taken to the streets to let this absolute shit show of government for sneaking this is in know this won’t be easy.

Kill the Bill!

I love your enthusiasm for this, did you go yesterday?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I had a very similar chat with a Met officer who I got chatting to in a bar on holiday. Only he said it didn't matter who someone supported - all football fans were fair game - "after all who really cares about football fans - their all seen as thugs."

It kind of highlighted to me ( although I already knew ) that the Met are just thugs in uniform ..... I've seen no evidence to the opposite either at football matches or on the news to suggest anything different. Please tell your mate he's a knut.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

There was no violence on the protest in Brighton yesterday. The police were sensitive and sensible, friendly, even.

Talking to one officer, I got the impression that the general feeling of him and his colleagues was that they also oppose this disgustingly authoritarian bill.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Ok fair enough, but I’m not that bothered about my right to protest apparently being removed, I hope that’s ok ?

Surely that's just because there hasn't been anything you've been that bothered about to want to protest? What if there was - and you couldn't protest?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I had a very similar chat with a Met officer who I got chatting to in a bar on holiday. Only he said it didn't matter who someone supported - all football fans were fair game - "after all who really cares about football fans - their all seen as thugs."

It kind of highlighted to me ( although I already knew ) that the Met are just thugs in uniform ..... I've seen no evidence to the opposite either at football matches or on the news to suggest anything different. Please tell your mate he's a knut.

Didn’t take me long to find a story [emoji1745]

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metr...uilding-save-peoples-lives-fire-12386112/amp/

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It doesn’t matter if there was or wasn’t this new Bill would have given the Police the right to stop the Goldstone protests. It will give them the right to Wade in and stop any protest.

Read this. Up to TEN years in prison because they might think you have been an “annoyance” or a “nuisance” on a protest? WTF.

This is actually Orwellian society being ushered in on the sly, possibly the start of the biggest threat to our liberty since Hitler and the majority are so docile after a year of lapping up everything the Govt tell them that they aren’t even aware that they are about to lose one of their core human rights and are actually criticising people for trying to do something about it.

My suspicion is that decisions around whether protests will go ahead will come down to money and budgets. The Police person/committee making the decision will look at the cost of Policing any protest and go from there with Patel’s easily justifiable excuses ready to be rolled out. If it’s towards the end of the local Police force’s financial year and they’re looking at saving money to hit a budget, there ain’t going to be any protests authorised!

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Certainly very worrying that professional Old Etonian politicians like Boris Johnson and metropolitan elites like Pritti Patel are trying to limit the common man's free speech by deciding what can and cannot be protested against.

They'll be after strikes and picket lines next, mark my words.

Why living in England do we really need to protest about anything . I don’t have any concerns and if I did , I certainly don’t think marching with a lot of people I don’t know will make any difference. There are plenty of other more useful ways to protest if you are so inclined , like letter writing or lobbying .

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Ok fair enough, but I’m not that bothered about my right to protest apparently being removed, I hope that’s ok ?

That’s absolutely your right, and I respect you for it, lots of people are happy to live a peaceful life and go with the flow, thankfully throughout history not everyone has the same train of thought as you do and stood up for what they believe in, otherwise we could already be living in a very different world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports