Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Large areas of London to be car-free (6 week timetable)

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
The walking/cycling thing is fab, in the most part, this time of year.

In the middle of the winter when it's freezing and pissing it down - not so much.

I've yet to do the commute on the bike in the pissing rain, but the coldest I've had it be when riding is 1° and once I'm moving it's not too bad, assuming you've got a balaclava on, otherwise it's murder on the ears.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Or have somewhere to keep all the household bikes

Wall mount them, as they do in New York and other cities. A bike or two on your living room wall is visually preferable to a print of a wooden jetty running out to sea or a Banksy-esque print of an Imperial Stormtrooper using an ATM or similar ‘TK Maxx’ Home shite.
:D:rock:

Untitled1.png

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

In the middle of the winter when it's freezing and pissing it down - not so much.

....and certainly since the beginning of March it’s been very dry....I can think of a Sunday where we had about three seasons in one and then one unsettled period a few weeks back, otherwise sunny and dry, although at times a south east wind has been a tad annoying

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Schapps, I think it was, announced a c£2bn pot-hole fixing budget just a few days ago.

Could maybe start with that GIANT lump of red-painted road surface gouged out of the lights at the bottom of Preston Drove ie the main route from all points north into Brighton town. Giant lump's been sat on the roadside ever since lockdown. Compo central - and potential death trap - that would take the council about an hour to put right :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Valley Gardens project is suddenly starting to look a bit VISIONARY eh? :wink:

Visionary and 20 years too late is quite some achievement. :lol:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
If I was a London worker, I would just have to brave it and catch a bus or tube.
What about the older less fit, and the disabled?
Does this include taxis? Cabs, Uber , Electric or petrol
I presume ambulances will still use the roads?
What about car sharing nurses? No exceptions?
And those who live between Euston and Waterloo? Does not that take in Westminster?
Those who have outpatients appointments at St Thomas’s

I reckon this needs some more thought.
Btw. If a suitable person says “ o k I’ll get a bike” where does he buy one in lock down?

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

It’s a mindset though isn't it? Cycle commuting year-round is fine with the right gear, waterproof overshoes, thermal gloves or mittens etc.. You’d never do anything in this country outside of a 3-4 month period if you need beach weather to do it in.

In a 12 month period of commuting I'm roughly 90% on the bike, 10% on the train.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nice in theory. I have an 18 mile commute. No way am I doing that if wet and/or dark.

I did a 26-mile commute once (or 52 miles both ways) ... but it was only for a week and it was in summer

I did cycle from Brighton to London once for work - I left at 3.30 and got in at 9.40 It's not to be recommended :lolol:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

London is drier than most major cities in Europe. It's also, on average, warmer than places like Copenhagen, Amsterdam and most German cities, where cycling is far more prevalent than in London. I think in the main it's not the weather that's the problem, it's the crap provision for cycling throughout most of the UK. Obviously some parts of the UK suffer from a lot more rain (Manchester, Glasgow, Belfast, etc) so it may be more of a challenge getting people out and about on bikes there. But hopefully one of the positive legacies of Covid is a massive increase in cycling, and the infrastructure to make it possible.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It’s a mindset though isn't it? Cycle commuting year-round is fine with the right gear, waterproof overshoes, thermal gloves or mittens etc.. You’d never do anything in this country outside of a 3-4 month period if you need beach weather to do it in.

In a 12 month period of commuting I'm roughly 90% on the bike, 10% on the train.

Ordinarily I agree.

However, the six months of constant rain and wind from last October tested me to my limits I can tell you. Certainly ended up putting the kibosh on a lot of my usual weekend Winter riding as I was just sick to the back teeth of it in the end.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If I was a London worker, I would just have to brave it and catch a bus or tube.
What about the older less fit, and the disabled?
Does this include taxis? Cabs, Uber , Electric or petrol
I presume ambulances will still use the roads?
What about car sharing nurses? No exceptions?
And those who live between Euston and Waterloo? Does not that take in Westminster?
Those who have outpatients appointments at St Thomas’s

I reckon this needs some more thought.
Btw. If a suitable person says “ o k I’ll get a bike” where does he buy one in lock down?

A bike shop?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s a mindset though isn't it? Cycle commuting year-round is fine with the right gear, waterproof overshoes, thermal gloves or mittens etc.. You’d never do anything in this country outside of a 2-3 period if you need beach weather to do it in.

Corrected for you.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
I did a 26-mile commute once (or 52 miles both ways) ... but it was only for a week and it was in summer

I did cycle from Brighton to London once for work - I left at 3.30 and got in at 9.40 It's not to be recommended :lolol:

Now that is impressive. Can I ask, all back roads or the odd A road early on in the trip? :rock:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Were you any use to 'man or beast' when you got to work?:lolol:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I took my first ride along the Old Shoreham Road pop up lane today.

All the way, from the Hangleton Link Road to Hove Park, the two driving lanes in both directions have been turned into one lane each way, with a massive wide cycle lane, the whole way up. I cycled up and down it just because I could

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008

But what a great opportunity for a forward thinking entrepreneur to come up with a solution for cycling in bad weather.

In fact i have been working on a idea myself for this!

Attachments

• f0195dd3fbf10e3b5769d36d55a1994d.jpg
    f0195dd3fbf10e3b5769d36d55a1994d.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 134

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here