Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

laptop's died, what's wii like for web browsing?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Dear Oracle Of All Knowledge aka NSC,

My faithfull old laptop has finally packed up (well, i dropped it) and i don't really want to buy another one as using it gives me neck ache. Not really got room at home for a full desktop p.c, so does anyone use a wii for internet browsing? Is it usable on a normal tv or would i need a hdtv to be able to read the screen? 90% of my laptop use is web browsing. any other suggestions? budget a bit tight of course :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You wouldn't need a HDTV, but games consoles on the whole arn't great for general web-browsing because its not primarily what they're set up for. Unless you also buy an auxilliary keyboard for it, as pointing and clicking at a keyboard on the screen is a pain in the arse.

If you're wireless and can put up with the small screen, an iPod Touch is quite usable I find, the 8gb one is only £150. I quite often idly browse NSC on it when the missus is on the laptop and it works fine. And I can put my bets on, so it keeps me quiet.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
On a seperate question, I got my wii connected to the internet, but cannot for the life of me work out how to get a web browser on it.

I would ruddy love to be able to get iplayer/4od on the tellybox via the wii.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
On a seperate question, I got my wii connected to the internet, but cannot for the life of me work out how to get a web browser on it.

I would ruddy love to be able to get iplayer/4od on the tellybox via the wii.

Go to the Shop. You can download Opera (web browser) for free. You can also download the Iplayer channel as well. Not sure about 4od.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Go to the Shop. You can download Opera (web browser) for free. You can also download the Iplayer channel as well. Not sure about 4od.

You are my hero :love:

I guess that 4od can just be watched through the web browser. I use opera on my laptop and it works fine with 4od.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
You wouldn't need a HDTV, but games consoles on the whole arn't great for general web-browsing because its not primarily what they're set up for. Unless you also buy an auxilliary keyboard for it, as pointing and clicking at a keyboard on the screen is a pain in the arse.

If you're wireless and can put up with the small screen, an iPod Touch is quite usable I find, the 8gb one is only £150. I quite often idly browse NSC on it when the missus is on the laptop and it works fine. And I can put my bets on, so it keeps me quiet.

aha, hadn't thought of that. 'scuse the ignorance, but is an ipod Touch something i can buy and will just connect to my wireless broadband or does it have to have a network like a mobile phone? (ie - another monthly fee to pay out on).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
aha, hadn't thought of that. 'scuse the ignorance, but is an ipod Touch something i can buy and will just connect to my wireless broadband or does it have to have a network like a mobile phone? (ie - another monthly fee to pay out on).

You don't need a contract or anything with an iPod Touch, it just links up with wi-fi. So you can use your home wireless broadband for it with no additional charges, or any other wi-fi when you're out and about (I can use mine on my local pubs wi-fi as well, which comes in handy sometimes). Bear in mind its the same size as an iPhone though, so its a hand-held sized screen. But you can turn it sideways and the picture flips to a 'landscape' mode, and as I say, I find it perfectly usable. YouTube etc all works very well.

The iPhone you would have to have a contract, and of course its 3G so doesn't rely on wi-fi for internet access, you can use it anywhere. But then you're getting stung for £34 a month minimum with one of those.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
get a netbook

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

The itouch just connects to the wireless connection,
Use it anywhere they have free wifi or at home.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
seemly there is an auction house at Ardingly that every now and again auctions off stuff lost at airports etc. anyhooo...he picked up a new IBM thinkpad notebook - 300GB HD and 2GB Mem thing last weekend for £85. It had been wiped clean, and he went on to hacintosh and downloaded the latest but one version of Mac software and various versions of software and it works a treat!

Not that I would recommend anyone using hooky software oh sirreeeno!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Back to the first post......

Check your contents insurance. The Grub dropped my laptop in the kitchen and I now have a very nice brand new one for the cost of my excess (£50).

N.B. They told me it was repairable, so they would contribute the repair cost towards a new one, so I told them to just fix it)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Back to the first post......

Check your contents insurance. The Grub dropped my laptop in the kitchen and I now have a very nice brand new one for the cost of my excess (£50).

N.B. They told me it was repairable, so they would contribute the repair cost towards a new one, so I told them to just fix it)

isn't that if you have accidental damage on your contents policy?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here