Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Laptop help - blue screen of death

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
entered "chkdsk /f-" and it's saying "invalid parameter - /f-"

What I do at times like this, is turn to drink, I find drink helps me stay calm and gets me over the everyday stresses that life can bring, and as for computer problems, get a big rock and hit it severely!! once your on your tenth pint you will find the inner strength to batter it to bits.

This information has come free of charge from a person who knows very little about mending computers :thumbsup:

danielson81

Nov 16, 2010
Brighton, UK
Before it went wrong, had anything been updated via Windows Update (or manually), if so a software update or driver update could be doing it.

When booting up and pressing F5 or F8 , choose "Last known good configuration", does that work? If yes, do a System Restore to say a few days ago and see if it works (it wont delete any existing files!).

Or it could be faulty RAM, (however as its let you login I would of thought it would of gone blue sooner). If it has two sticks of RAM in it, take one out and try again, and swap with the second piece.

Failing that, might need to wipe the whole thing (after pulling off docs etc) and reinstall. If you lived locally I would offer to do it!

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

entered "chkdsk /f-" and it's saying "invalid parameter - /f-"

Your first step is to get those documents off. If you download a Linux Distribution and burn the .iso to DVD, you can boot in to Linux without having to install the Operating System.

It should automatically mount your windows drive on the desktop, which will enable you to transfer the files to external USB drive.

You can then wipe your machine and reinstall Vista.

You can download Ubuntu here
Download Ubuntu Desktop | Ubuntu

Last edited by a moderator:

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
vista sht
So why not install a fresh copy of windows 7 it should give you the option to back up old windows into a folder so you can still access of your old files etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here