Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lane Discipline in the UK

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'd like to see a new law introduced for "Discourteous driving" which holds an on-the-spot £10 fine.
This to be applied by traffic cops, highways agency and parking attendants.
Offences would include:
Unnecessary use of the middle lane
No use of indicators [exiting a roundabout is a good example]
Parking on the pavement
etc ...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Indeed it is. Technically there is a fast lane nearest the middle, but you can pass on any side at any time. Which does reduce road rage quite a bit as you have options.

In California there are Car Pool or Diamond Lanes on most freeways, which you must have 2 or more drivers Why would a vehicle need at least two drivers!!!!! in your car to use, the Diamond lane can also be used by all NGV and electric vehicles, such as the Prius etc. You have to have a special sticker for those that the DMV offer only 70,000 of for the whole state.

Which is not a lot of stickers when you think there are around 32 million vehicles in the state.

Using the Diamond Lane can cut my wife's commute from 45 minutes to 15 minutes during rush hour.

If you are caught using the Diamond Lane on your own or with a dummy etc, the fine is $481 each tiime.

For some reason, no one here really risks it, everyone really follows the rules, even though there are very few CHP on the roads and a complete absence of cameras.

Some of those posts made me laugh. Why the hell would I move out of the way of some maniac who is 6 inches from my bumper and flashing his lights at me if I am doing the maximum speed allowed by law?

He is breaking the law with his aggressive driving, not me, and he obviously intends to break more laws by doing 80/90+ in a 70 limit, Speed kills, and it very often kills the sensible drivers, not just the speed freaks,

What other laws do you self important loonies think don't apply to you? Have a quick can of Special brew, a joint, a chat on your mobile while endangering other peoples lives.

The speed limit is just that, a MAXIMUM limit. If you need to travel faster than that, f***ing leave earlier! and don't try to intimidate me for allowing enough time to do my journey within the legal speed limit.

So I take it you drive in the middle lane then. The law states you should drive in the left hand lane unless overtaking so those people who stick in the middle lane when there is no reason to do so, even if they are driving at 70, can be given a fine. Just that the traffic cops don't do it.

Drivers face £90 on the spot fine and three points for being in the wrong lane or tailgating | Mail Online

How To Drive On A Motorway - Driving On Motorways

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Some of those posts made me laugh. Why the hell would I move out of the way of some maniac who is 6 inches from my bumper and flashing his lights at me if I am doing the maximum speed allowed by law?

He is breaking the law with his aggressive driving, not me, and he obviously intends to break more laws by doing 80/90+ in a 70 limit, Speed kills, and it very often kills the sensible drivers, not just the speed freaks,

What other laws do you self important loonies think don't apply to you? Have a quick can of Special brew, a joint, a chat on your mobile while endangering other peoples lives.

The speed limit is just that, a MAXIMUM limit. If you need to travel faster than that, f***ing leave earlier! and don't try to intimidate me for allowing enough time to do my journey within the legal speed limit.

Two choices here: You're either :fishing: or you're a c**t.

One or the other, no middle ground.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's funny that everyone seems to hate middle lane drivers, but you can never find one to defend themselves. Perhaps they just don't realise they're doing it.

It was one of the things that I hated most about our time in Gillingham, as the motorways of Kent seemed to be the worst at that time. Now they're everywhere.
I think 'Bulldog's just tried it, however 'Billy The Fish' has his number!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's funny that everyone seems to hate middle lane drivers, but you can never find one to defend themselves. Perhaps they just don't realise they're doing it.

It was one of the things that I hated most about our time in Gillingham, as the motorways of Kent seemed to be the worst at that time. Now they're everywhere.
See the post above yours!

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Now I know I'm going to get flammed here but could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong here:

I am doing 70 in the middle lane and the traffic on my left is going slower, (thats why I'm in the middle lane). Anybody who wants to pass me, (and break the law by doing 70+), can overtake me on the right.

So again, what am I doing wrong?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Now I know I'm going to get flammed here but could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong here:

I am doing 70 in the middle lane and the traffic on my left is going slower, (thats why I'm in the middle lane). Anybody who wants to pass me, (and break the law by doing 70+), can overtake me on the right.

So again, what am I doing wrong?
In your example you mentioned there is slow traffic on the inside lane so you're not doing anything wrong - providing when the inside lane is clear you pull over into it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
What annoys me is the twats that have to hog the outside lane on a dual carriage way for 5 miles because they are going to be turning right at the next roundabout, but are only travelling as fast as or slower than the inside lane

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009

What's this got to do with the middle lane owners club?? That's what the original poster was moaning about!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
BUT one of the reasons I hate the nearside lane in this country is the condition of the road surface on most of the older busy motorways. The road has severely compacted to form ruts, bumps and pits, with all trying to wrestle the steering wheel around in your hands. It makes driving at 70/80 dangerous from the point of view of both being able to steer and damage to the car's suspension.

Is the correct answer, the inside lane on so many motorways is just bone shaking. I drive reasonably quickly and tend to sit in in the middle lane but spend quite a bit of time in the outside. If I am in the middle lane on a relatively quiet motorway and the outside lane is pretty traffic free I'd expect a fast driver ( and he/ she will be driving fast as I now tend to sit just over the speed limit) to use the outside lane to get past me. If the traffic is really heavy and a faster car comes up behind me whilst in the middle lane with the outside lane in use, I'll immediately move over but pop straight back out when I've been overtaken so feel no guilt sitting in the middle lane to avoid giving my suspension a serious workout in the inside lane

Twats who just won't move over and just hog the middle lane with a queue of traffic behind them and the inside lane free and the outside lane busy are either stupid or just difficult.

I spend quite a bit of time in France and find the quality of the road surface so much better, most of the time, that I am quite happy to use the inside lane all the time I'm not overtaking slower traffic. OK, so you pay for the motorways in France but some motorways in this country are almost third world quality and they are getting worse. The inside lane is almost undrivable at the legal limit on many of them.

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
.The thing that winds me up when there is a queue of slow moving traffic,stop/start and the driver in front leaves a gap for 10 cars....you only need about 5 cars to do this and the traffic queue has spread out another half mile,thus blocking off side roads.

Hear,hear!

Even worse at traffic lights. It extends the queue meaning less people get through on the next cycle, therefore creating more pollution (not that I give a f**k).

And people say that they leave the space as 'A get out' in case the car in front brakes down. What once in every 3000 trattic lights, doh?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here