Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping charges

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It was the fact the guy never failed one of many many drug tests
But he did. When they checked his samples for EPO, all failed, but because the samples were old they weren't allowed to ban him. He also failed once, and after being told he failed he paid a doctor to write him a note, which the governing body accepted. I don't really blame Lance for any of this. Humans are cheats, it's human nature. It's down to the governing bodies to help stop it, and make it deemed unacceptable.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
But he did. When they checked his samples for EPO, all failed, but because the samples were old they weren't allowed to ban him. He also failed once, and after being told he failed he paid a doctor to write him a note, which the governing body accepted. I don't really blame Lance for any of this. Humans are cheats, it's human nature. It's down to the governing bodies to help stop it, and make it deemed unacceptable.

i know all that now, its so shit that we were taken for falls as youngsters when he was in his prime, that was the point I was tryin to make....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
i know all that now, its so shit that we were taken for falls as youngsters when he was in his prime, that was the point I was tryin to make....
Ah. I suffer/benefit from being skeptical about life, so I never thought for a minute he was clean. Just like Carl 'I need to wear a brace' Lewis.

Note re not being told he failed at the time:
In the run up to the '84 Olympics in LA, the US wanted to get a handle on what was happening in the world of doping, so that the games wouldn't be full of cheats. So in '83 they set up an amnesty for their own athletes to be tested while training without fear of prosecution. About 50% of the athletes were found to be doping, and the athletes used the tests to find out when they had to stop taking drug in order to pass a test. Doping has been massive for decades. It was not possible for someone to have Lance's success without doping (since the opponents were all doping).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Could be textbook TV Confessional Bingo.

A fiver says he brings up some kind of childhood trauma as justification. Crying is absolutely odds on.

I think he'll keep coming back to cancer as its a sure fire way to tug on the heartstrings. Expect lots of "it reminded me of when I was fighting cancer..." of "during my darkest times, fighting cancer, ...." and the like.
Emancipated hospital bed photo! ding ding ding.

There will be so many half truths, and fact juggling it'll probably be a good watch, just to sit there a go:-

Lie,
Lie,
That's a lie,
Lie,
No not in that order,
Lie,
No you were in charge.
Lie.

David Walsh (Sunday Times Chief Sport's Writer) would eat him for breakfast, and would be worth the watch.

Oprah, nah, deny, blame the foreigners, cry and say sorry, and wish you can compete in sport again, because that's how I get the cancer message across.
Job done, shake hands with the crying audience, stand in a local government election.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
gutted by this, a small ounce of me has always hoped that he was still innocent, I grow up loving this man for what he did and achieved.

I'm not sure you grew up at all. (that's not meant anything like as harsh as it sounds :) ) Come on man, wake up and smell the coffee.

It's very easy to be wise after the fact.
Personally the longer the Lance myth went on the higher my eyebrow got, until I came third in the 2004 International Roger Moore Impression Gala, held in Geneva.

But the manner in which Lancey-poohs won 7 Tours, does, on a level hold up, which along with all the other corrupt factors allowed the myth to continue.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Eh? I've always known he was doping, this is nothing to do with being wise after the fact.
Yeah I know that's cool.

I was offering up to Chucky that Lance could easily be seen as creditable, at the time, by the way he went about winning Le Tour.
It wasn't a case of waking up and smelling the coffee, because if it was so so many people were asleep, as it turns out they were, but the point of credibility still stood, for a lot long than it should.

I like Chucky wanted to believe but like yourself came to the conclusion 'if something is too good to be true....'

Last edited:

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
It's very easy to be wise after the fact.
Personally the longer the Lance myth went on the higher my eyebrow got, until I came third in the 2004 International Roger Moore Impression Gala, held in Geneva.

But the manner in which Lancey-poohs won 7 Tours, does, on a level hold up, which along with all the other corrupt factors allowed the myth to continue.

I came second in that Gala by calling myself James St John Smythe and saying "I tossed and turned a bit but I soon got off" in a ridiculously posh accent while balling my hand and coughing gently into it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was offering up to Chucky that Lance could easily be seen as creditable, at the time, by the way he went about winning Le Tour.
It wasn't a case of waking up and smelling the coffee, because if it was so so many people were asleep, as it turns out they were, but the point of credibility still stood, for a lot long than it should.
Ok. The coffee comment was because it seemed Chucky still wants to believe he's innocent, even now - not referring to how he felt years ago.

I like Chucky wanted to believe but like yourself came to the conclusion 'if something is too good to be true....'
I'd like to believe too. I'd actually like to believe in god as well, I think it's a really nice idea. Unfortunately, I can't control what I believe, my subconscious is too willful. As you know from other threads on this subject, a lot of sport has been ruined for me by doping. It makes the whole thing pointless.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd like to believe too. I'd actually like to believe in god as well, I think it's a really nice idea. Unfortunately, I can't control what I believe, my subconscious is too willful. As you know from other threads on this subject, a lot of sport has been ruined for me by doping. It makes the whole thing pointless.
Amen brother!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
A lot of Americans still believe in St. Lance - they think it's all a plot by those godless commies...........

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A lot of Americans still believe in St. Lance - they think it's all a plot by those godless commies...........
I know I still shake my head in disbelief at some other the comments broadcasted.

I guess that's not really surprising considering the attitudes towards PED's in American sport.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I'm not sure you grew up at all. (that's not meant anything like as harsh as it sounds :) ) Come on man, wake up and smell the coffee.

Now here's a man that's wise to the world. Good call.

I imagine the whole thing is going to be completely disgusting, vomit inducing, insincere, American shite. If I watch it, I'll probably need a new telly in the morning. Going to check I have accidental damage include on the insurance policy.

I agree. That said there is absolutely no chance I will watch this, it is going to be stage managed BS from beginning to end and edited to f*** for legal reasons. If it was live and the interviewer was someone with an ounce of journalistic integrity I might have considered it but I am not watching more Armstrong propaganda. I've seen enough of that over the last decade.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.

Thats a good call about human nature, and money is at the root 99% of the time. You see it in all walks of life and sport every day. Even i cheat whenever i attempt to play football, board games, cricket etc etc but tge difference with Armstrong is that he did it so aggressively and over such a long period of time, threatening,influencing and blackmailing innocent people along the way. I never liked him but bought his TWO books , lining his pockets along the way. It'll have to a sob story unlike anything witnessed before if he hopes to come out of this well.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thats a good call about human nature, and money is at the root 99% of the time. You see it in all walks of life and sport every day.
Would I dope to win a sport in exchange for a few million - yes, I would (particularly one where I knew that if I didn't, the winner would be another doper anyway). I'd actually want to make notes & tapes etc of the whole thing - including my own personal tapes to camera explaining that I would ensure the truth came out at some point, so that when it's later exposed, I can show the world how corrupt the sport is, get the governing body changed, and allow things to get better. Take the public shame and smile about the bank account.

Even i cheat whenever i attempt to play football, board games
Cheating at amateur football is fairly low, but Jesus H Christ, cheating at board games is the lowest of the low. have you no shame?

difference with Armstrong is that he did it so aggressively and over such a long period of time, threatening,influencing and blackmailing innocent people along the way.
Yeah it does look pretty bad, even for a doper.
It'll have to a sob story unlike anything witnessed before if he hopes to come out of this well.
A 'cancer affected my judgement, I didn't think I'd live to the end of the tour, let alone win it' story won't make me think any better of him. It'll be like speech from a politician - carefully worded to manipulate us, with nothing at all from the heart. Don't fall for it. Or better still, as Pantani says, don't watch it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here