Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping charges

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zamora For England

Sep 27, 2006
Hurstpierpoint
Not sure many people will give him the time of day to care any more, to be honest. I, as a huge cycling fan (more than football these days), consider what's done to be done and Lance is flogging a dead horse if he thinks a confession will salvage any dignity he has left.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Not sure many people will give him the time of day to care any more, to be honest. I, as a huge cycling fan (more than football these days), consider what's done to be done and Lance is flogging a dead horse if he thinks a confession will salvage any dignity he has left.

Well head over to the Cycling Geeks thread. New members of the family are always welcome. :)

Re: Lance. Many people won't care but he would have one hell of a story to tell on how he evaded the testing. That could put WADA or the UCI right in the shit.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Well head over to the Cycling Geeks thread. New members of the family are always welcome. :)

Re: Lance. Many people won't care but he would have one hell of a story to tell on how he evaded the testing. That could put WADA or the UCI right in the shit.

His one last attempt to control of the situation could be him gaining massive exposure for his confession and choosing who to destroy and when.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lance is the story that keeps on giving
Report: Armstrong's Alleged Donation To USADA | Cyclingnews.com

Armstrong attorney denies $250k offer, Tygart confirms
Although the US Anti-Doping Agency's final "reasoned decision" on its lifetime ban of Lance Armstrong has had months to gather dust, a new segment from 60 Minute Sports to be aired on Wednesday is reportedly going to bring to light new allegations of possible graft by the now-former seven time Tour de France champion.
The report by Scott Pelley, the same journalist who first brought Tyler Hamilton's allegations of doping by Armstrong to light on the television network CBS, is said to have confirmation from USADA CEO Travis Tygart on an offer by Armstrong to donate a large sum of money, up to $250,000.
"I was stunned," Tygart says in the interview, according to USA Today. "It was clear - it was a clear conflict of interest for USADA. We had no hesitation in rejecting that offer."
While USADA was keen to point out in its 1,000+ page reasoned decision that Armstrong gave some $100,000 to the UCI, and Tygart heavily criticized the sport's governing body for accepting the money, nowhere in the document does it state that Armstrong also attempted to provide a similarly large donation to USADA in 2004, as the 60 Minutes Sports segment alleges.
Tygart did not return Cyclingnews' request for comment today, but Armstrong's attorney Tim Herman replied to a request for confirmation, stating there is "no truth to that story".
"[The] first Lance heard of it was today. He never made any such contribution or suggestion."

Obviously it's true, as we have no foundation on which to believe Lance.

It just brings me back to the same problem.

Cycling financially is a piss poor 3rd world sport, that can be bought for only £200,000.

That's one weeks wages to a top top flight footballer.

How can it be the 'only' sport with a doping culture?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
January 8, 2013

Los Angeles, CA – Oprah Winfrey will speak exclusively with Lance Armstrong in his first no-holds-barred interview. Armstrong will address the alleged doping scandal, years of accusations of cheating, and charges of lying about the use of performance-enhancing drugs throughout his storied cycling career.

The special 90-minute Thursday night episode of Oprah's Next Chapter will air Thursday, January 17 (9:00 – 10:30 p.m. ET/PT) on OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network. In addition-the interview will be simultaneously streamed LIVE worldwide on Oprah.com.

In the interview, Winfrey speaks with Armstrong at his home in Austin, Texas in the only interview since the seven-time Tour de France winner was stripped of his titles and dropped from millions of dollars in endorsement deals after the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency released an extensive report accusing the renown cyclist of doping throughout his career. Armstrong was given a lifetime ban on competing professionally. Late last year, Armstrong resigned as chairman of the foundation he created, Livestrong, which has raised hundreds of millions of dollars in the fight against cancer.

About Oprah's Next Chapter
Oprah's Next Chapter is the primetime series featuring Oprah Winfrey as she steps outside of the studio for riveting, enlightening and in-depth conversations with newsmakers, celebrities, thought leaders and real-life families. Oprah's Next Chapter is produced by Harpo Studios. Join the conversation on Twitter using #NextChapter.

About OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network
A joint venture between Harpo, Inc. and Discovery Communications, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network is a multi-platform media company designed to entertain, inform and inspire people to live their best lives. OWN debuted on January 1, 2011, on what was the Discovery Health Channel and is in approximately 85 million homes. The venture also includes the award-winning digital platform, Oprah.com. For more information, please visit Welcome to the official website of OWN - the Oprah Winfrey Network - @OWNTV and OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network : Discovery Press Web.

Read more: Lance Armstrong on Oprah's Next Chapter - Oprah.com

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bet he blubs like a baby.

Did I hear its being streamed live, 90 minutes...

Could be textbook TV Confessional Bingo.

A fiver says he brings up some kind of childhood trauma as justification. Crying is absolutely odds on.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
By my calculations that interview will be 5am friday (18th) morning UK time.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
2am surely.

It's 9pm et/pt which is the LA time zone on the west coast, which is 8 hours behind us, not the east coast time zone, which is 5 hours behind us.

EDIT: Or possibly both. I looked up pt first, et is -5 hours (et is the spanish language version of est and that confused me). It appears it is airing twice in america so that it airs at 9pm in two time zones. I imagine this means it will air twice on the net?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
gutted by this, a small ounce of me has always hoped that he was still innocent, I grow up loving this man for what he did and achieved.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
gutted by this, a small ounce of me has always hoped that he was still innocent, I grow up loving this man for what he did and achieved.

Ten questions Oprah Winfrey should ask Lance Armstrong | William Fotheringham | Sport | guardian.co.uk

9. A cycling fan, who believed in you for many years, asked how people like him could possibly now have faith in any of their heroes. What would you say to him and those in the cancer community who believed in you for so long?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not sure you grew up at all. (that's not meant anything like as harsh as it sounds :) ) Come on man, wake up and smell the coffee.

I think he'll keep coming back to cancer as its a sure fire way to tug on the heartstrings. Expect lots of "it reminded me of when I was fighting cancer..." of "during my darkest times, fighting cancer, ...." and the like.
Now here's a man that's wise to the world. Good call.

I imagine the whole thing is going to be completely disgusting, vomit inducing, insincere, American shite. If I watch it, I'll probably need a new telly in the morning. Going to check I have accidental damage include on the insurance policy.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I'm not sure you grew up at all. (that's not meant anything like as harsh as it sounds :) ) Come on man, wake up and smell the coffee.

Now here's a man that's wise to the world. Good call.

I imagine the whole thing is going to be completely disgusting, vomit inducing, insincere, American shite. If I watch it, I'll probably need a new telly in the morning. Going to check I have accidental damage include on the insurance policy.

It was the fact the guy never failed one of many many drug tests and they cant all have been brought.....but hey hoo, time to grow and smell that coffee

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports