Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping charges

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I was surprised to train a young chap in Scotland yesterday who was wearing a yellow wrist band. I was curious what it represented and was surprised to see it was a livestrong one.

When I asked about it, he said he thought Lance was still a legend and was wearing it in support!

That is now the third person I have had a discussion with who has fully supported Lance. I suppose its not far from myself a month or so ago saying 'I want to see evidence before i accept it' even though when you looked at the facts, it was pretty damning.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
That is now the third person I have had a discussion with who has fully supported Lance. I suppose its not far from myself a month or so ago saying 'I want to see evidence before i accept it' even though when you looked at the facts, it was pretty damning.
That's the same boat I was in until the UCI said they wouldn't challenge, then I realised that he's as guilty as Ricco.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was surprised to train a young chap in Scotland yesterday who was wearing a yellow wrist band. I was curious what it represented and was surprised to see it was a livestrong one.

When I asked about it, he said he thought Lance was still a legend and was wearing it in support!

It's very much the American slant, on the whole sordid affair.

Lance is 2 people:-
THE ultimate professional cyclist, repeatedly winning the greatest event.
Or
A cancer survivor raising millions for 'awareness'.

If you have never bought in cycling why should you be that bothered about disrespecting Le Tour.
As so many Americans feel.

If you put Le Tour on a pedestal, Lance's actions are so abhorrent you find yourself able to 'doubt' his fund raising.

Leaving everyone else who don't care either way.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
It's very much the American slant, on the whole sordid affair.

Lance is 2 people:-
THE ultimate professional cyclist, repeatedly winning the greatest event.
Or
A cancer survivor raising millions for 'awareness'.

If you have never bought in cycling why should you be that bothered about disrespecting Le Tour.
As so many Americans feel.

If you put Le Tour on a pedestal, Lance's actions are so abhorrent you find yourself able to 'doubt' his fund raising.

Leaving everyone else who don't care either way.

Lance is BOTH people - that's what the world needs to get it's head around. He was a drugs cheat, a cancer survivor and someone who's raised the profile of the disease along with millions of dollars. What he's done with that money is questionable...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
[MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] - You may want to have a read of this...
For any particular reason, other than it's interesting?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just the states show why more cyclists are getting caught than any other sport.
'Getting caught', as in present tense, you may be right. As we've all discussed, cycling is now taking a lead on testing people. But the fundamental reason that more cyclist have tested positive in the past is because more of them have been involved in doping. I accept that it's a problem in just about all sports, but we all knew it was more common in cycling.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And we're always saying it's the Italians and Spanish. Maybe the Americans need a spot of investigations to. :lol:
Oh no, all over this thread I'm pointing out Spain is just a small USA.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

I bloody love NFL but some of these guys are not just huge but extremly athlectic for their size. Lets hope the colledges and NFL have/get measure in place for youngsters coming into the game to be able to play clean. The money involved at the top level is a great incentive to possibly dope to get and keep massive contracts,

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I take it this story is in this thread, somewhere, it's not current:-

ROME -- A Juventus team doctor was convicted Friday for administering banned substances to players on the famed Italian soccer team during the 1990s.
Riccardo Agricola received a suspended jail term of one year and ten months from Judge Giuseppe Casalbore, who acquitted Juventus chairman Antonio Giraudo, the team said.

Defense lawyer Paolo Trofino told reporters the judge had found Agricola guilty of administering the banned blood-booster EPO.

"He was condemned for what was the weak point of the prosecution's charges, the administration of EPO," said Trofino.

"It is a sentence that will be difficult to get through appeal," he said, confirming the defence intended to appeal.

The high-profile trial featured a team with 27 league titles and fans across the country. Between 1994-98, the Turin club won three Italian league titles, one Champions League title and the Intercontinental Cup. Zinedine Zidane, Roberto Baggio and Alessandro Del Piero were among current and former Juventus players who gave evidence.

All said they had never knowingly been treated with illegal substances.

The defendants had denied wrongdoing and defense lawyers argued there was no evidence players received banned substances. The lawyers contended other drugs Agricola was accused of administering were commonly used in soccer.

Prosecutors had requested prison terms of three years and two months for Agricola and two years and one month for Giraudo.

It is unlikely that Agricola will have to serve time in prison because, in Italy, first offences are often suspended.

Giraudo told reporters the verdict meant the club had been cleared. "It is a very important sentence. I was absolved in my role of chief executive and so Juventus was absolved. That means innocence."

He added: "No one at this club fell below the standards of fair play."

Turin public prosecutor Raffaele Guariniello began investigating allegations in 1998.

"This is what I expected," Guariniello said after the verdict. "It is only the first step."

EPO is a synthetic hormone that stimulates the body's production of red blood cells, increasing oxygen transport and endurance. It has been widely used in cycling.

The investigation was prompted by comments made in a 1998 magazine interview by current Lecce coach Zdenek Zeman that Italian football needed to "get out of the pharmacy." In the interview Zeman pointed the finger at Juventus.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Feature about Lance starts at 7.35am on BBC Breakfast - I think Paul Kimmage is on. Well worth watching. I'll put this in the Geeks thread too in case anyone misses it.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Nothing new there, and David Walsh, not Kimmage. He spoke about how 13 years of his journalistic life were not wasted in the end. Also spoke about the delusion of those American celebrities who still seem to consider Lance a legend, despite everything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here