Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping charges

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Because it is NOT a story, and never would have been a story had it not been for Armstrong.

Cav was interviewed on 5 live, on Monday.
Nice interview but the whole first half was taken up by LA & drugs.
Sure, but come on, this Armstrong thing is mega massive. What's the problem? Is it that you don't want people to look down on cycling? The fact is, people cheat all over the world, in all walks of life. People cheat at work, people cheat the tax man, people cheat in exams, people cheat in sport. Cyclists themselves aren't worse than any other sportsmen, but the governing body is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sure, but come on, this Armstrong thing is mega massive. What's the problem? Is it that you don't want people to look down on cycling? The fact is, people cheat all over the world, in all walks of life. People cheat at work, people cheat the tax man, people cheat in exams, people cheat in sport. Cyclists themselves aren't worse than any other sportsmen, but the governing body is.
That's exactly my point.

Thanks to Lance only one cheat on the whole planet was singled out, yesterday.

And that one cheat happened to be a person the equivalent of Eastbourne Boroughs reserve keeper.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thanks to Lance only one cheat on the whole planet was singled out, yesterday.
Ok, but firstly:
So? Any cyclist caught cheating right now is going to hit the news, so what. I'm hardly going to feel sorry for the cheat. And I'm not going to feel sorry for cycling either, too many cyclists and the UCI let this happen for many years. It's right that people look down on cycling, it's been a complete f***ing joke. If you want to defend cycling and act like it's not been a joke, that's part of the problem.

Secondly, it's not all Lance's fault. They were cheating in cycling before Lance, and the authorities are mostly to blame IMO. It's there job to keep the sport clean, not turn a blind eye to anything Lance and everyone else did. If the UCI did their job, Lance would have been banned years ago, and South African wouldn't have made the news.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This no mark wouldn't have been news before Lance.

Off to work now, catch you later.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok, but firstly:
So? Any cyclist caught cheating right now is going to hit the news, so what. I'm hardly going to feel sorry for the cheat. And I'm not going to feel sorry for cycling either, too many cyclists and the UCI let this happen for many years. It's right that people look down on cycling, it's been a complete f***ing joke. If you want to defend cycling and act like it's not been a joke, that's part of the problem.

Secondly, it's not all Lance's fault. They were cheating in cycling before Lance, and the authorities are mostly to blame IMO. It's there job to keep the sport clean, not turn a blind eye to anything Lance and everyone else did. If the UCI did their job, Lance would have been banned years ago, and South African wouldn't have made the news.

Howdy.

I could copy and paste a list of the current World Tour professional cyclists.
That list would be 450+ names.
The Geeks could then add a further list of relevant retired pros (that haven't already been mentioned).
The total list of names would be well well over 500 names.

Any names from that list would be relevant 'ticker news'.

This person would not be on that list, or even close to it.

But any sports fan looking at that just thinks 'typical cyclist they are all on drugs', and that's not fair.

Cav's interview on The Daily Bacon podcast (well worth a listen) is very good and he covers this a lot better than me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The total list of names would be well well over 500 names.

Any names from that list would be relevant 'ticker news'.

This person would not be on that list, or even close to it.
Understood.
But any sports fan looking at that just thinks 'typical cyclist they are all on drugs', and that's not fair.
Yes that is what people will think, and I say it is fair. Cycling became a joke. It's bad name has been extremely well earned. Hopefully Cycling will now punish any new cheats extremely heavily, and the sport will become known for the changes it's making, and eventually it'll be seen as the great sport it can be.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Armstrong dominated the tour for so long

What sort of advantage did he gain from cheating?

do you think he could of actually won the thing clean?

contador will win the tour next year,prolonging the agony of the actual sport

life time bans are the only deterent

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]270890361910607872[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah, but performance enhancing drugs aren't going to make you shoot more accurately, are they? :wink:
Well there can't be a problem, if there was, they would do tests, wouldn't they!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Exactly, what's the point in cheating there's no PED that will make you shoot more accurately

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Or pass, or do a 'roulette'.
Or keep you on the top of your game, for 94 minutes, so you win more games than anyone in the last 10 minutes, like Barcelona.

Oh hang on I think I've got the wrong end of the stick. :lol:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Or keep you on the top of your game, for 94 minutes, so you win more games than anyone in the last 10 minutes, like Barcelona.

Oh hang on I think I've got the wrong end of the stick. :lol:

Barcelona? Don't be silly, there are no drugs in Spanish sport.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports