Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping charges

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe i'm being FAR too simplistic, but I've always assumed doping only really suits power sports. I.e RUNNING, CYCLING, ROWING, WEIGHT LIFITING. Of course a drug to improve a players individual power is beneficial, but it's still reliant on the 10 other players.

A footballer has to make hundreds of small decisions when on the ball. Which way to run, look up, assess the space, read the runs, do I play it long?, do I dribble, do I go for the return ball after playing it? etc etc. It's CONSTANT decision making.

Running and cycling (more running has less decisions to make as cycling) is purely run/peddle. It's a power boost.

No offence to the cylclists!
This is how I feel about it. Sure there are probably people that dope, but it won't make a Messi out of a Harley.

As Lance has proved it's not just about steroids bulk up stronger job done, anymore.
No doubt.
There is as much importance in recovery from the activity and be ready for the next.
That depends on the sport. In cycling the recovery in between stages is crucial. In football it's handy, but a Messi that hasn't fully recovered is still miles better than a fully fit Harley (or pretty much anyone else to be honest).

Not to mention being able to train longer.
Same thing. A gifted footballer can be decent even if they're not the most dedicated in training, that's not the same in cycling.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Let's face it, we are no more talking about golf than we are baseball, t'is all about the footer.

It's a debate I've had over the years with the great and good of NSC.
It's one I never win, which is fine, but it's one that never goes away.

I find it hard to believe PED's are in most sports except the worlds biggest sport.
But all the time that sport has inadequate testing I will always be able to point the finger.

I'm not saying Messi takes x today to be better than you tomorrow.

I'm saying in a country with a PED culture (you only have to look at where the support of Lance is coming from) it's not inconceivable for massive clubs to have access to drugs, taken by up and coming players:-

'because the club sent me to a doctor and he told me to stick this patch on'.

When UEFA's and FIFA's drug testing stands up to the UCI's and is still clean I'll be a very happy man.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=3347]Horton's halftime iceberg[/MENTION]
You need to blog your thoughts and feelings.

Then you can send it onto Velocast, Rendall, Innering, whomever you like.

Have a word with [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION] he's just started blogging so I'd imagine he has a few pointers.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
For those saying Barca would gain nothing through PEDs, have a think what EPO does to the body.

EPO increases the amount of oxygen that can be carried in the blood stream. It isn't just muscles that needs oxygen. The brain feeds on it to.

- Being able to run flat out for 97 minutes instead off 85 has clear advantages.
- Having more oxygen feeding the brain means you are more alert. That well placed pass to set up the last minute winner may not be down to skill alone.
- Being able to recover quickly from 120 minutes of football to train the next day will improve the amount you can learn, therefore increasing your skill, meaning you can spot that sneaky pass.

EPO in football has very clear advantages. And that is just once drug available to Dodgy Doctors.

Drugs will benefit every sport. Things like the World Cup require rapid recovery. Oh look, our friend EPO comes to the rescue again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For those saying Barca would gain nothing through PEDs, have a think what EPO does to the body.

EPO increases the amount of oxygen that can be carried in the blood stream. It isn't just muscles that needs oxygen. The brain feeds on it to.

- Being able to run flat out for 97 minutes instead off 85 has clear advantages.
- Having more oxygen feeding the brain means you are more alert. That well placed pass to set up the last minute winner may not be down to skill alone.
- Being able to recover quickly from 120 minutes of football to train the next day will improve the amount you can learn, therefore increasing your skill, meaning you can spot that sneaky pass.

EPO in football has very clear advantages. And that is just once drug available to Dodgy Doctors.

Drugs will benefit every sport. Things like the World Cup require rapid recovery. Oh look, our friend EPO comes to the rescue again.
But it can't help you kick a ball :facepalm:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This has to make you laugh as well...
'Honour culture limits drug scandals' - SuperSport - Golf

Sound almost Omerta like to me.
That's comical.

I know I'm cynical, I know I'm in the minority, I know I may well be proved wrong.
But surely even the most naive of people must read that and think:-

'Hang on you don't blood test and your justification for being a clean sport is "This is a sport where we turn ourselves in on mistakes. A ball moves in the trees, guys call penalties on themselves. Golf is a different sport."'.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
2 - The Spanish doctors now with life bans from cycling all have Valencia and Barca on their CV's.

Valencia? Christ on a bike, if Vicente was ever on performance enhancing drugs, we may as well give up now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nothing on his twitter, yet.

He was keen 3 hours ago:-

Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage
"On my signal, unleash hell."

Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage
How do I feel? I feel like Maximus as he prepared for battle

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Kimmage

Pending the independent commission's report next year, the UCI management committee also opted to seek the suspension of the defamation case against the journalist and former rider Paul Kimmage, launched earlier this year by UCI president Pat McQuaid, honorary president Hein Verbruggen and the governing body itself.

"UCI President Pat McQuaid and Honorary President Hein Verbruggen who are individual parties to the case will similarly seek to put their cases on hold," the UCI statement read.

As recently as Monday, McQuaid insisted that he would not drop his case against Kimmage. Over $80,000 dollars have been raised by an internet defence fund established in support of Kimmage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here