Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping charges

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm with you on that one. The fact that this was likely to happen and was known about in July made his lead onto the Champs Elysees left a slightly bad taste in the mouth at the time.

Any word on Johan Bruyneel yet? Or the UCI? This still has some way to go...
JB appealed, to be heard next month, some say it was a calculating attempt of shelving this evidence for a couple of months, while Lance spent the Summer, 'tweaking' his story.

Which judging by the amount of Americans saying 'he never failed a dope test', instead of 'he never took drugs', may suggest it worked.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The argument that Armstrong did what everyone else is doing doesn't really stack up. He used his influence to ensure other riders received an inferior doping service, got insider knowledge on other riders' practices and held sway with the authorities to allow him to dope more extensively (covered up tests, warnings in testing etc.) or to eliminate the opposition (hamilton).
Good point.

I know that Armstrong wouldn't have won a single TdF had he not doped. I accept that I'm only sure of this because others were on drugs too, and would have beaten him. Whether he would have won in a clean race, we'll never know. I suspect he'd have his share of victories, but he didn't win all his titles by being the best cyclist, he won by being the best doping cyclist, and that is not the same thing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Brad doing the party line
Not at all. He doesn't take drugs, and the sport he has given so much of his life to is tainted by drug cheats, so it's hardly surprising he doesn't like it.
What a crushing shame for that clean rider in 5th, 8th, 10th, whatever that really they were genuinely the best to compete with a bunch of cheats.
Indeed, but this information is nothing new. That's how I've always felt about it. Sport has been ruined by drugs for years, you have people like Sharon Davies, that missed out on Olympic gold, despite the winner later admitting to being of drugs (without her knowledge at the time).

Mentioned this earlier today, to a US colleague, who said Americans don't give a shit about this. It's only cycling and a winner is a winner regardless of what drugs they have gorged on. I was a bit sceptical about this until I read his sponsors were standing by him. Nice work Nike et al.
Blimey, that's unbelievable.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Which judging by the amount of Americans saying 'he never failed a dope test', instead of 'he never took drugs', may suggest it worked.
But he did fail drugs tests. One got covered up, and several years worth of his samples failed the EPO (or whatever it is) test (but the rules meant he wouldn't be done for that as the samples were old).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But he did fail drugs tests. One got covered up, and several years worth of his samples failed the EPO (or whatever it is) test (but the rules meant he wouldn't be done for that as the samples were old).
It wasn't Lance's intention to spend the summer telling the truth!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, he may truly have to worrie when he sponsors come looking for a few quid back. Perhaps Trek will help LeMond bikes back on the road
The Velocast podcast fellas were saying Trek dropping LeMond was all 100% down to Lance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
b7wzz.jpg

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Sorry BoF, I had a 'moment' when I first read this.
Stolen from [MENTION=16720]Indurain's Lungs[/MENTION]' post on 'geeks', this is probably the answer you're after:-

Winners of Armstrong's tours if you exclude everyone associated with or guilty of doping (from l'equipe)

Les vainqueurs "propres" de l'époque Armstrong
1999: Daniele Nardello (7e du Tour).

2000: Daniele Nardello (10e du Tour).

2001: Andreï Kivilev (4e du Tour).

2002: Carlos Sastre (10e du Tour).

2003: Haimar Zubeldia (5e du Tour).

2004: Carlos Sastre (8e du Tour).

2005: Cadel Evans (8e du Tour).

And Stat Brother got it spot on. Well done SB.

Who really won the Tours de Lance? | Blazin' Saddles - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here