Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping charges

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's also the allegations (key word) that LA gave quite a lot of money to the UCI not long after he failed a test, which then subsequently and mysteriously never became public.
You need to know the undisputed FACTS, as said by Hein Verbruggen & Pat McQuaid, before you pass them off as allegations.

I've a feeling that if/when Armstrong goes down, certain elements within the UCI are terrified they will too, and therefore will fight tooth and nail to protect him in order to save their own skins.
I believe there is a lot of truth in that statement.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So that would mean an admittance by UCI that there testing wasn't up to scratch. I can't see Pat McQuaid doing that. This still has a long way to run before it is done and dusted and will probably end up with a court case involving USADA, WADA, UCI and IOC.
The Velocast podcast makes an interesting point.
Lance 'gives up' but Bryunel wants to see it through.

Therefore all the evidence against Lance stays under wraps, till at least November.
Giving him 3 months to change his message and get that across.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Considering all testing at the TdF would be carried out by UCI then USADA has no legislative rights over whether Lance has 7TdFs or not.

Where have you got that from or are you just guesing?

USADA is an agency working under WADA rules. Lance waived his right to a hearing, so rule 8.3 applies:

Waiver of Hearing
The right to a hearing may be waived either expressly or by the Athlete’s or other Person’s failure to challenge an Anti-Doping Organization’s assertion that an anti-doping rule violation has occurred within the specific time period provided in the Anti-Doping Organization’s rules. Where no hearing occurs, the Anti-Doping Organization with results management responsibility shall submit to the Persons described in Article 13.2.3 a reasoned decision explaining the action taken.

All UCI has to do is wait for the decision and issue the formal notice stripping him of the titles - they are compelled to do that under WADA rules.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Where have you got that from or are you just guesing?

USADA is an agency working under WADA rules. Lance waived his right to a hearing, so rule 8.3 applies:

Waiver of Hearing
The right to a hearing may be waived either expressly or by the Athlete’s or other Person’s failure to challenge an Anti-Doping Organization’s assertion that an anti-doping rule violation has occurred within the specific time period provided in the Anti-Doping Organization’s rules. Where no hearing occurs, the Anti-Doping Organization with results management responsibility shall submit to the Persons described in Article 13.2.3 a reasoned decision explaining the action taken.

All UCI has to do is wait for the decision and issue the formal notice stripping him of the titles - they are compelled to do that under WADA rules.

Trust me, when Pat McQuaid comes into the equations nothing is as simple as that. Especially as the UCI will see this as a slight by the US on their prestigious race and their drug testing procedures.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Trust me, when Pat McQuaid comes into the equations nothing is as simple as that. Especially as the UCI will see this as a slight by the US on their prestigious race and their drug testing procedures.

The good thing here though is that isn't just about being busted for taking drugs - the much wider conspiracy and encouraging others to take drugs is what Lance will really struggle to squirm out of.

I agree though that UCI is seemingly deep in the sh*t here, with a fair few senior people trying to cling on to their reputations whilst also making sure the UCI doesn't get booted out of the Olympics.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
The good thing here though is that isn't just about being busted for taking drugs - the much wider conspiracy and encouraging others to take drugs is what Lance will really struggle to squirm out of.

I agree though that UCI is seemingly deep in the sh*t here, with a fair few senior people trying to cling on to their reputations whilst also making sure the UCI doesn't get booted out of the Olympics.

Surely the team managers are more guilty of pedalling drugs than Lance. Who would have carried the drugs between stage starts and finishes? Lance wouldn't have a few shots of EPO in his jersey. Sponsor pressure was the biggest reason for most riders to dope (apart from Ricardo Ricco who just had a bit of a head problem).

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

The UCI are starting to look like FIFA!

The slight complication is that whilst the Tour is, strictly, under the auspices of the UCI, the ASO is a separate private organisation and the Tour is not part of the ProTour.

The ASO are as keen as anyone to ruin Armstrong and they (and the French as a whole) always have been.

The UCI are probably furiously concocting a way to cover their own backs.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Still the best cyclist who has ever lived, every cyclist seems to have done some sort of drugs and he was the best. But should just f***ing admit it and dob everyone else in the evidence is over whelming

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Still the best cyclist who has ever lived, every cyclist seems to have done some sort of drugs and he was the best. But should just f***ing admit it and dob everyone else in the evidence is over whelming

I would like to think quite a few clean cyslist have never done drugs, G, Brad, Cav just to name three of our new crop are totally clean.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Still the best cyclist who has ever lived,
No that just isn't the case.
Best Tour de France cyclist, would be a harder case to argue, but best ever, is so wrong
every cyclist seems to have done some sort of drugs and he was the best.
I can't help thinking that's not what you mean, but you're right he was the best at taking drugs.
But should just f***ing admit it and dob everyone else in the evidence is over whelming
If he'd done that x amount of years ago, it just wouldn't be an issue now, as it would just be chalked up as an * decade of cycling and drugs.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There's also the allegations (key word) that LA gave quite a lot of money to the UCI
I thought it wasn't disputed that he gave about 125k ($ I assume) to UCI? Not that big a sum in the scheme of things, but dodgier than Redknapp.

Still the best cyclist who has ever lived, every cyclist seems to have done some sort of drugs and he was the best.
I disagree. Most of them cheated, but some refused to. Firstly, was he better than those that didn't cheat? Secondly, what drugs/methods were used by those that did cheat - maybe he took more and (thanks to the team behind him) was better at getting the most out of them.

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
I would like to think quite a few clean cyslist have never done drugs, G, Brad, Cav just to name three of our new crop are totally clean.

I'm sure you're right ...........

But

Sky's team Dr is Dr. Geert Leinders.
He was the team team doctor for Rabobank the Dutch team that has had a drug doping scandal. Theo de Rooy, who was team leader of Rabobank admitted that the team had accepted doping and this was “a considered decision by the medical staff”. In an interview, Leinders said “I was there, the product [EPO] was present. I can’t pretend as if that time didn’t occur.”

So..............????

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sure you're right ...........

But

Sky's team Dr is Dr. Geert Leinders.
He was the team team doctor for Rabobank the Dutch team that has had a drug doping scandal. Theo de Rooy, who was team leader of Rabobank admitted that the team had accepted doping and this was “a considered decision by the medical staff”. In an interview, Leinders said “I was there, the product [EPO] was present. I can’t pretend as if that time didn’t occur.”

So..............????
You're not going to get anywhere with that argument.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
USADA's Reasoned Decision On Lance Armstrong Follows The Money Trail | Cyclingnews.com

But in a press release issued this morning, USADA states that its 1000 page dossier not only includes testimony from 26 individuals, including 15 riders "with knowledge of the US Postal Service Team (USPS Team) and its participants' doping activities", but also "direct documentary evidence including financial payments, emails, scientific data and laboratory test results that further prove the use, possession and distribution of performance enhancing drugs by Lance Armstrong".

After being accused by Armstrong's attorneys of wasting taxpayer dollars on a "witch hunt", USADA fired back stating its evidence "confirm the disappointing truth about the deceptive activities of the USPS Team, a team that received tens of millions of American taxpayer dollars in funding."

George Hincapie Confesses To Doping | Cyclingnews.com

Six Former Armstrong USPS Teammates Receive Bans From USADA | Cyclingnews.com

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well that's that then, Jimmy Saville and now Lance Armstrong have both have their reputations destroyed. Now it seems Sarah Brightman is paying a fortune to go in to space, what's she trying to hide eh ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jimmy Saville and now Lance Armstrong have both have their reputations destroyed.

Pedant alert:-

Jimmy Savile and Lance Armstrong have both destroyed their reputations.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well that's that then, Jimmy Saville and now Lance Armstrong have both have their reputations destroyed. Now it seems Sarah Brightman is paying a fortune to go in to space, what's she trying to hide eh ?

'Once there, she says she intends to become the first professional musician to sing from space.'

Hope this doesn't trigger an Independance Day style attack if she does.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here