Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping charges

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Recommended reading for anyone not previously acquainted with malpractice(s) in cycling and interested in how/why things degenerated during the last 25 years:

Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage
Bad Blood by Jeremy Whittle

FWIW, I believe Armstrong is guilty of various activities which will forever tarnish his reputation. But it's clear he did not act alone, and the witch hunt/vendetta waged against him has been questionable in its intensity. Cycling was already cleaning up its act: pursuing LA relentlessly was not going to accelerate or benefit this process.

FFS, he still had to pedal up those bloody cols, even with an artificially high hematocrit level!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The argument is that they're queueing up because they have been either a) cut deals for their own indescrepencies
I don't think that would wash in the US, that would be a serious crime, much worse than a bit of doping. If I was a rider who had doped, and the authorities wanted me to give false evidence on Armstrong, I'd tape my conversations and turn the authorities in. If the authorities were trying to falsely convict someone, they'd be in a lot of trouble, and riders would rightly stick together if the authorities were encouraging them to break the law.

b) been blackmailed along the lines of "we are taking Armstrong down, want to go down with him or not".
As above, either the authorities are asking them to tell the truth, or asking them to lie. If it were the latter, the shit would hit the fan. If they're just putting pressure on riders to tell the truth, so what? As for 'want to go down with him or not', this isn't a big deal to most cyclists (those who never won the tour) whose life will not be badly affected by being found guilty of doping many years ago.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
FFS, he still had to pedal up those bloody cols, even with an artificially high hematocrit level!
All those that finished at the back of the pack had to cycle up the hills too. They haven't been celebrated as gods, and neither should he.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Breaking news is that USADA have stripped him of the titles, saying it is within their jurisdiction...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Or he remains on the pedestal because there is nothing in this. m Is there any more than we've seen from the French asking questions about our Olympic cycling team,
As a cycling fan, I find this whole thing very sad, and depressing.
There is plenty more, which id LA's problem.
It goes far beyond anyone who can be discredited because of there own guilt.
Some big names have been brought into the equation, backing LA into an ever decreasing corner.

Still the last 2 Tour winners are clean as a whistle, as is this years Giro winner.
2/3rds of last years Vuelta podium are unblemished, and that's only because Cobo looks suspect.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For those wanting to know more about Lance, and how/why he got to this point.
Here is a very good chronological account of Lance & drugs:-

velocast cc - Velocast & Race Radio

This is by no means by favourite cycling podcast, but I'm still more than happy to say the fellas do a top job, in explaining Lance's time-line.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Whole sport seems like a complete joke, cheating is endemic.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Whole sport seems like a complete joke, cheating is endemic.

Well it looks like with modern testing and biological passports its becoming WAS endemic.

In many pro teams we have clean and transparent ethics and young riders of these teams see a new way, hence the link I posted to G's blog

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Apologies, showing my ignorance. Glad to hear they've sorted out some of the problems.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well it looks like with modern testing and biological passports its becoming WAS endemic.

In many pro teams we have clean and transparent ethics and young riders of these teams see a new way, hence the link I posted to G's blog
And as proven in the Olympics, is a lot closer to clean sport than many many other.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Apologies, showing my ignorance. Glad to hear they've sorted out some of the problems.
Wooooow tiger, slow down Mr bi-polar :lol:

They are working hard to get to the point where drugs in cycling is no longer endemic.
That's not to say there aren't riders still trying to break the rules.

Luckily they are finding it harder to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports