Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping charges part deux

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I listened to that as well and by the end of the podcast I still could not make my mind up whether I empathised with him or not.

Thats how I felt although on reflection the fact I felt like that meant I must do more than before as I at least entertained the idea

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
although what he did was bad he did give some counter balance and also seemed genuinely remorseful for things like the bullying
I find that hard to believe. His career ended, he was accused by all of doping, and he denied it to the end. He'd still be denying it now if it hadn't been proven beyond doubt with him facing more punishment. Given that he wouldn't admit it if he didn't have to, I don't believe his remorse is genuine. He is still wealthy and will media advisers telling him the right thing to say.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I find that hard to believe. His career ended, he was accused by all of doping, and he denied it to the end. He'd still be denying it now if it hadn't been proven beyond doubt with him facing more punishment. Given that he wouldn't admit it if he didn't have to, I don't believe his remorse is genuine. He is still wealthy and will media advisers telling him the right thing to say.

I think one of the issues is that he was the highest profile rider and if you look back at his early races clearly was a world class athlete. At that time its my opinion that all riders were doping, many of which have still not admitted to it now, so really what is the difference? In terms of doping he was only 'cheating' if he was the only one doing it, if the peleton was all at it then why is he the only one to be called a cheater? The bullying is something different and cannot be condoned

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think one of the issues is that he was the highest profile rider and if you look back at his early races clearly was a world class athlete. At that time its my opinion that all riders were doping, many of which have still not admitted to it now, so really what is the difference?
Generally in sport if you dope and don't win anything, then you've got no title etc to be stripped of, and you haven't denied prevented the clean athletes in the race from winning. It's understandable that less effort and less newspaper columns are dedicated to those that cheated and didn't win much.

Of course some of the other winners also cheated, and they should be stripped of their titles etc too.

In terms of doping he was only 'cheating' if he was the only one doing it
Well that's not quite true. If everyone in the peleton doped, then they all cheated, they could all be replaced by dedicated clean cyclists around the world that would have loved to be earning money in the peleton.

if the peleton was all at it then why is he the only one to be called a cheater?
Hold on, I'm sure you can't seriously be suggesting that Armstrong is the only one accused of cheating?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

You've got to wonder how she thought she'd get away with it on this bike:-

dampf-fahrrad2.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow, just wow:-

IAAF publishes list of Russian athletes banned from international competitions

The list contains a total of 4,027 names of Russian athletes including national team leaders

http://tass.ru/en/sport/855204

I think that needs repeating

The list contains a total of 4,027 names of Russian athletes

WOW

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wow, just wow:-

IAAF publishes list of Russian athletes banned from international competitions

The list contains a total of 4,027 names of Russian athletes including national team leaders

http://tass.ru/en/sport/855204

I think that needs repeating

The list contains a total of 4,027 names of Russian athletes

WOW
I too am shocked it wasn't more.

It's not just going to be Russia either. The USA were pretty doped for the '84 Olympics I think, and I'm not sure if much has changed. I wouldn't put money on a clean China either.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I too am shocked it wasn't more.

It's not just going to be Russia either. The USA were pretty doped for the '84 Olympics I think, and I'm not sure if much has changed. I wouldn't put money on a clean China either.
But this is 4027 athletes tested, caught and currently serving bans.

It's almost as if the IAAF threshold for action is 4026 athletes, per nation.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anti-doping: Government inquiry into Ukad's British doctor probe

The government has ordered an inquiry into the UK Anti-Doping Agency (Ukad) over its handling of an investigation into alleged doping activities by a British doctor involving Premier League footballers and other leading athletes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/35952566

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here