Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lampty/Veltman

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Let's not be silly now. Lamptey at RWB will walk back into the team. It's more likely Veltman would move into the back 3 and White would step into midfield. Lamptey will play when he's fit, because he's absolutely superb and offer us so much in defence (as does Veltman) and attack (in contrast to Veltman).

He'll be managed back gently - a few sub appearances first.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Judging by how carefully Lamptey is going to be treated over the next year or two, I can see him being used as a 60 min impact sub on a regular basis. It’ll be frustrating to not see him from the start, but what a player - the fastest player in Europe, no less - to have coming on to run at tired legs!

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Imagine if Potter unleashed (fit and firing) Lamptey, Izzy and Andone on Palace next Monday :mad:

Have you been sniffing the Sherry bottle Zef? :lolol:
Imagine is about as far you will get with that wish
But ,that said! Who would you drop to accommodate them ? IF they were fit and available

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Wonder if we’ll see Lamptey play right wing at some point with veltman behind him. If lampteys crossing/shooting are decent enough then that could be a handy option.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Veltman is too good to drop with the balance tipped towards his defensive solidity and clearly excellent footballing nous
Lamptey is too good to leave out because of his searing pace offensively, but also defensively at corners
Potter is head coach and knows this is... "A nice problem to have!"

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Let's not be silly now. Lamptey at RWB will walk back into the team. It's more likely Veltman would move into the back 3 and White would step into midfield. Lamptey will play when he's fit, because he's absolutely superb and offer us so much in defence (as does Veltman) and attack (in contrast to Veltman).

Veltman is a far better defender than Tariq

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Could give Lamptey a go on the left as Solly will be out for a while. Would be interesting to see if he has a left foot and if he can cut in and get some shots away.
I agree that we need Veltman in the team and much of our progress recently has been down to him. I fear that replacing him with Lamptey will leave a big hole for someone to get in behind us.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Play Lamptey further up field.

Where I think he’ll end up anyway. Problem solved.

I don't think he will.

Right Wing Back (in a team where there is good protection down the right side, like Veltman, White or Webster) is the perfect position for him.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Could give Lamptey a go on the left as Solly will be out for a while. Would be interesting to see if he has a left foot and if he can cut in and get some shots away.
I agree that we need Veltman in the team and much of our progress recently has been down to him. I fear that replacing him with Lamptey will leave a big hole for someone to get in behind us.

You mean we might concede two goals every 6 games? :)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Lamptey, Veltman and White are all fantastic players. But with respect, in whose place would White step in to in midfield? Bissouma and Gross currently undroppable and White has rather different skills and attributes to Mac Allister, Trossard, Lallana et al.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Personally would prefer to start with Veltman in the next game see if our good structure continues. He has improved at coming forward as well so that's a bonus.

Bring Lamptey on maybe later so he is brought gently back into the games.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As others have mentioned, we'll see a mix of both. I'd say Veltman is a more reliable defender, as his control of Grealish showed, whilst Lamptey is more destructive going forward, but maybe less consistent at the back.

So, they will share the role, both based upon who we're playing and the defensive / attacking mix we feel we require AND as has been mentioned, whilst he's coming back to fitness, a 30 minute burst of Lamptey vs a tiring defence is a mouth-watering prospect.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Once fully fit Lamptey too good to leave out as wingback. As they have done well keep Webster, Dunk and White as our CBs, Veltman will be far better then either Burn or Alzate and maybe even March at left wingback.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
When fit, Lamptey must play in my view. He is one of the few we have who opponents will change their set up to counter his threat. Play him in his best position RWB.

Veltman must also play on this form. I'd put him in his best position, Right Central Defence.

White is fighting with Gross and others for a place in midfield in my team.

Incredible competition for places. At least one very good defender isn't going to play

Considering how well White adjusts between being played at CB and MF would you give Tariq a go at the Maupay role ?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Lamptey, Veltman and White are all fantastic players. But with respect, in whose place would White step in to in midfield? Bissouma and Gross currently undroppable and White has rather different skills and attributes to Mac Allister, Trossard, Lallana et al.

You're right to point this out. It's not like you can just walk into our midfield at the moment either (one does not simply walk into our midfield!!!). Alzate, Propper, Moder and down the track, Caicedo and host of young starlets are also vying for those positions.

We'll have to leave very good players out of our defence and midfield if all are fit at the same time.

What a selection headache

My opinion remains, that a fit Lamptey has to start. He offers something different to anything else we have.

If Veltman or Lamptey at LWB is a non starter and all are fit, to me the one to miss out would be Ben White. But I don't say that lightly. These are highly marginal selection decisions.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Considering how well White adjusts between being played at CB and MF would you give Tariq a go at the Maupay role ?

Tariq as the lone striker eh?

The fella would hold his own I reckon

But RWB is his best position, we should play him there

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Where does Karbownik feature in this conversation?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here