Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lament the passing of the terrace

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Apologies for the self-plug, but with due deference to the game tomorrow night, I've actually been thinking about this weekend's trip to London Road and what may possibly be a last chance to stand on a big terrace, with a low roof, and watch footy the best and old-fashioned way.

To that end, my latest blog entry is about what is, for me, the end of the terrace era.

chairman

Mar 5, 2009
lostwithiel cornwall
i must be getting old as i prefer my seat to standing even though i remember my dad having a season ticket in the west stand at the goldstone and i said i would never be seen dead in there, still i was 16 at the time. But do remember being on the terraces in the north stand, getting there nice and early to get place on a barrier only for a 6'7" man to arrive two minutes before kick-off and stand right in front of me. Although these days i have no problem standing spare a thought for those less able who have their view totally blocked by those who insist to stand, even if they are in the front row. We are very lucky to have padded seats at the amex, i do wonder if those that stand have sofas and chairs at home to watch the tv or do they stand there to.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm probably alone in not liking terracing (although I did like the North stand at the time).

And you have always had the option of buying a seat if you wish. Unfortunately for those of us who would rather the terrace rarely get that choice.

Albion Rob

i must be getting old as i prefer my seat to standing even though i remember my dad having a season ticket in the west stand at the goldstone and i said i would never be seen dead in there, still i was 16 at the time. But do remember being on the terraces in the north stand, getting there nice and early to get place on a barrier only for a 6'7" man to arrive two minutes before kick-off and stand right in front of me. Although these days i have no problem standing spare a thought for those less able who have their view totally blocked by those who insist to stand, even if they are in the front row. We are very lucky to have padded seats at the amex, i do wonder if those that stand have sofas and chairs at home to watch the tv or do they stand there to.

I think you've made a very eloquent case there for the return of terracing. Have terraces for those who want to stand and have seats for those who prefer to sit down.

As for me, I've probably got about 15 more years of standing capability ahead of me then I'd be looking to retreat back to the seats!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I think you will find that the reasoning behind all seaters owes more to the "stop deaths on terraces" argument than you give credit

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
But the legislation was kneejerk. There's a concept of 'safe standing areas' which should have been explored.

I suspect one day safe standing will come in. And at that point the North stand of the AMEX will be redeveloped.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
But the legislation was kneejerk. There's a concept of 'safe standing areas' which should have been explored.

It would be a perfect candidate for the "rail seats" currently being looked at by various other clubs around the country.

I'm not allowed to post links yet <exasperated smiley> - but search on safestandingroadshow to see the sort of thing.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
If a stand is poorly designed, badly built or decrepit, and/or maintained without attention to the safety standards such as evacuation protocols, it's unsafe regardless of whether it's terracing or seating.

If the opposite is true, it's perfectly possible to have safe standing. Dortmund show the way, and they wouldn't be considering its reintroduction in Scotland if it were not possible to do safely.

If a terrace were to be built or converted today, it wouldn't be done as it was when we were kids - Hillsborough saw to that. Nor do I believe that all-seaters are the great panacea that some make them out to be, the great cure-all which has swept away all of football's problems. There is still an active Safe Standing campaign, of which I'm a member, but its voice in England is barely heard.

So as much as I wish AMEXican Wave were right, I suspect we'll never see it again in England.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Whilst I would love terraces back it was not all rosy. I remember standing in the Gallowgate end at St James (I went to Uni there) and having the joy of a guy behind me deciding that the toilet was too far away and that it was better to just have a piss on the terrace. Happy days.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
Whilst I would love terraces back it was not all rosy. I remember standing in the Gallowgate end at St James (I went to Uni there) and having the joy of a guy behind me deciding that the toilet was too far away and that it was better to just have a piss on the terrace. Happy days.

The days of the great big old terraces are long gone, and no-one is campaigning for them to return.

What the safe-standing campaign is talking about are rail-seats, in small areas (areas about 15-20% of the ground) - rather than the massive terraces with thousands packed in of old.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I think as a society we've moved on from that era anyway - if you pissed on somebody's leg in a ground these days, you'd be ID'd and banned for doing so. And that sort of thing wasn't the fault of terracing per se - the sort of neanderthal who would do that is just as capable of behaving like a brain-dead fuckwit in the seats if he so chooses.

therealdsg

Sep 3, 2011
Preston Park
Went to Aldershot v Plymouth Argyle on new years eve and stood in the away end for the whole game, no rails, no nothing, just stood on what looked like steps for the whole game. Bloody loved it despite the domino effect I created when I leapt up at thinking Nick Chadwick had scored.

Terraces are what football is about. It's a working class game where you let out the frustrations from the week whilst watching the game and having a drink. Not getting tutted at and told to sit down in the West Stand at the Amex by some bored looking old bird who spent the whole game looking at her watch!!!:wrong:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I think as a society we've moved on from that era anyway - if you pissed on somebody's leg in a ground these days, you'd be ID'd and banned for doing so. And that sort of thing wasn't the fault of terracing per se - the sort of neanderthal who would do that is just as capable of behaving like a brain-dead fuckwit in the seats if he so chooses.

True

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here