Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lambert rules himself out of Villa job

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
about 25 years ago i applied for the managers job at West Ham, got a nice letter back explaining that "due to the quality of apllications recieved [they wouldn't] be able to consider my application further" i can't say I was gutted, but I did get a reply

Lucky you - I'm still waiting for a reply from the Albion concerning the time I applied for the managers job when Pat Seward left.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I agree. I said when the Villa job became vacant that he wouldn't be their top choice but he wouldn't be too far down the list. All it takes for him to be a serious contender is for them to be rejected a couple of times, which it seems has now happened. They seem to be intent on hiring a young manager with fresh ideas, which obviously limits the pool they are choosing from quite dramatically. It looks like they aren't going to be able to get one of the young managers with EPL experience (Martinez, Lambert, Rodgers) so people like Gus must surely be among the next in line now.

I think this is the most likely we've been to losing Gus at any point since he's been here.

I agree, if it's not Lambert then I think Poyet will be offered and be there in a flash. Villa are potentially a good stepping stone for him to his long admired 'big club'.
Just hoping that Villa drop a bollock and go completely leftfield with someone like Josef Vengloss, remember him!!??

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Lucky you - I'm still waiting for a reply from the Albion concerning the time I applied for the managers job when Pat Seward left.
Are you sure they got your letter? When I applied for the Albion job after Jimmy Case was fired I got a very nice letter back explaining how unlucky I was to not get the job because they had hired Liam Brady instead. Still have it somewhere, just a shame it was from Belotti

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
about 25 years ago i applied for the managers job at West Ham, got a nice letter back explaining that "due to the quality of apllications recieved [they wouldn't] be able to consider my application further" i can't say I was gutted, but I did get a reply

Remember reading somewhere that there is a fella that applies for every single managers job. He's got loads of replys similar to yours.

Looking at the amount of people turning down villa I would say he's in with a good chance!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I don't give a crap's arse about Gus going to Aston Vanilla (or Norwich for that matter) because it's just pure fiction that only a lunatic would entertain, but I would love it, LOVE IT if Lambert pissed off Norwich by going to Villa.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
So Gus could leave to go to club in crisis with no cash to spend, over demanding fans, a fading squad and be in the lime light constantly great for his career IF he succeeds but a disaster if he fails the press will be all over it; or stay here where his kudos will only improve why do people think he will leave? He will only go to another job to improve his career and as others have already turned Villa down it sounds like a troubled ship doomed to fail.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If Villa have no cash to spend how are they going to afford the 2 million compensation that the three years left on his contract demands?

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
I heard the interview. He wasn't ruling himself out of moving this Summer, which he could have done. (He did a Van Persie)

It was more irritation about being asked on a relaxed Testimonial evening.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I agree, if it's not Lambert then I think Poyet will be offered and be there in a flash. Villa are potentially a good stepping stone for him to his long admired 'big club'.
Just hoping that Villa drop a bollock and go completely leftfield with someone like Josef Vengloss, remember him!!??

The last 2 managers with little or no experience of the premiership, managed to get the clubs relegated ( Wolves and Blackburn ). I do not think Villa will appoint anybody that has not managed a premiership team. I would be more concerned with Blackburn if they decide to get rid of Kean.
If they have a bit of money to spend, they may feel Gus is the man

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The last 2 managers with little or no experience of the premiership, managed to get the clubs relegated ( Wolves and Blackburn ). I do not think Villa will appoint anybody that has not managed a premiership team. I would be more concerned with Blackburn if they decide to get rid of Kean.
If they have a bit of money to spend, they may feel Gus is the man

What about Lambert and Rodgers? They didnt get relegated.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
What about Lambert and Rodgers? They didnt get relegated.
Lambert and Rodgers took their clubs up from the championship and had success. Gus has managed to get Brighton to 10th in the championship, and yes he may be a manager for a big club in a few years, but somebody tell me how that would make him stand out to any premiership side who wants success. Villa can not afford to get it wrong again and find themselves at the bottom of the table. For that reason alone they will pick a manager with a proven track record. yes I agree he is one for the future, but not now

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Gus doesnt seem to react well to any negativity from the crowd......can you imagine if he went to Villa and and results were bad!! I honestly think he hasnt finished his project here yet and wont be going anywhere just yet.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Some chap on twitter......"Today I learnt that Poyet is a top bloke with good banter, and he says he is staying at Brighton...and Kenny Dalglish is a rude idiot"

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well, I would still be surprised if Villa went for Gus, great manager tho' he is... as Steve S said, 10th is the Championship hardly screams "come and manage my Prem team to success"... and Gus would be a fool to go there anyway... Villa are in a mess, will continue to struggle, and he will face REAL flak, which he obviously won't be able to cope with, based on his reactions to a few sarcastic claps and the booing of a ref (which he clearly misinterpreted BTW)...

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Some chap on twitter......"Today I learnt that Poyet is a top bloke with good banter, and he says he is staying at Brighton...and Kenny Dalglish is a rude idiot"
Well, the details of that sound plausible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here