Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lactose free baby milk, mums and dads some advice maybe

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Been allergic to Dairy Milk and other substances since I was 2 years old. When found out my parents tried other alternatives e.g soya milk etc. But through taste I preferred Goats Milk the best. Natural alternative to Cows milk but lactose free. Obviously I was slightly older at the time yet still enjoy drinking it now.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I think it's fair enough to stop breastfeeding if you're just not getting on with it and it's getting exhausting.

Trying different formulas is very sensible, even switching brands can help. Also, gaviscon is worth trying as it may not constipate, but if it does then thick'n'easy is an alternative.

Mungo_Jerry

Sep 27, 2011
Getting frustrated with Dr and health visitors etc..... They are so conflicting it's unreal.

My son 8 weeks is putting on weight like a good one but is not to clever also, the dr feel it could be his milk so we have now tried the formula they recommended even a low in lactose milk.

Now our Gp has said to try a lactose free but health visitors and midwives say no in baby boys due to a hormone soya contains, that is a female hormone and it could effect him in later life.

So we have a Dr going say lactose free and another health people saying different.

Have any parents had lactose issues with there babies, offer any advice.

Where going to try an organic milk for next few days but nothing else has worked so not holding my breath with this.

My son was on SMA soya milk as a baby after loads of probs with lactose intolerance and it sorted him right out. The only side effect were his shits were the size and smell of cow pats I kid you not. He's 9 now and it did him no harm whatsoever (although having read your post I'm now worried he'll grow tits or something). Health visitors are full of shit IMO - I'd trust your GP.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Had emergency appointment with Gp last night as yesterday was hell, his being treated for reflux now see if that helps, while waiting for hospital appointment, we have also been told to look at a brobiotic like yakult, but where not sure on that.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Had emergency appointment with Gp last night as yesterday was hell, his being treated for reflux now see if that helps, while waiting for hospital appointment, we have also been told to look at a brobiotic like yakult, but where not sure on that.

Falkor, you really should give this stuff a whirl, it's fantastic and is available in Tesco and Sainsburys I think... GOOD HEMP Milk | Dairy-free, Soya-free Milk alternative

412730b.jpg

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4967536 said:
Falkor, you really should give this stuff a whirl, it's fantastic and is available in Tesco and Sainsburys I think... GOOD HEMP Milk | Dairy-free, Soya-free Milk alternative

412730b.jpg

This appears to be a cow's milk alternative. These are not appropriate for babies.

Formula for under 1s are based on breast milk which differs in a number of ways from cows milk. Apart from problems with carbohydrate and salt concentration differences, cow's milk lacks any useful iron.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Having just read your comment that he has been refluxing I thought I should chip my view in...

Basically for the first 6-8 years of my life I was ill all the time, and I was refluxing, finally ended up at GOSH where it came back that I was lactose intolerant. I have been on Soya milk ever since and it has had NO side effetcs what so ever. Definetly listen to the doctor.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Had to be reflux since on the gaviscon his amazing, sleeps most night 2 feeds during it and is great during the day, smiles now also, his on hipp organic also nice milk he loves it

Glad things worked out for you. Our lives were transformed by reflux medication.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Glad things worked out for you. Our lives were transformed by reflux medication.

back to as we where now, the Dr put him on Movicol due to constipation from the gaviscone, but his now of the Movicol as he should never have been on it due to his age, so where now waiting for an appointment at the Childrens hospital. Its amazing how you get used to not very much sleep at all.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
back to as we where now, the Dr put him on Movicol due to constipation from the gaviscone, but his now of the Movicol as he should never have been on it due to his age, so where now waiting for an appointment at the Childrens hospital. Its amazing how you get used to not very much sleep at all.

If you feel the gaviscon initially helped then ranitidine would be the next step. Gp shouldn't have much problem prescribing in the meantime.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
If you feel the gaviscon initially helped then ranitidine would be the next step. Gp shouldn't have much problem prescribing in the meantime.

They won't put him on it, my gp surgery seems very anti it, we will go see them Monday but expect the same response, which is now wait to see the hospital, which Is all well and good for them but they don't have a screaming 9week old baby

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Had to put my youngest on soya because of issues he had. It made him much better and they never said anything a hormone issue..........although in the last 18 months or so (at the age of 6) he has started skipping a lot and doing an odd French Micky take accent. Oh dear god, what have I done!!!

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
The Dr told as they have sent the referral we just called the hospital they have never got one for him, i just went i dont like Mondays down the phone at the GP, also thinking about changing GP as they seem shite.

Im getting really cross, we called the childrens A&E there just saying go see the GP but they wont do anything until we see the peads at the hospital. Which we wont as they dont have a referral for him.

Its horrible for him, and now me and his mum are running on empty

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
The Dr told as they have sent the referral we just called the hospital they have never got one for him, i just went i dont like Mondays down the phone at the GP, also thinking about changing GP as they seem shite.

Im getting really cross, we called the childrens A&E there just saying go see the GP but they wont do anything until we see the peads at the hospital. Which we wont as they dont have a referral for him.

Its horrible for him, and now me and his mum are running on empty

GP can prescribe lactose free and can prescribe ranitidine. It's one of the commonest drugs given to children so there are no issues with GPs prescribing. A large majority of babies that I see, who are referred with possible reflux, have already had a trial of ranitidine from their gp. This is quite useful as it cuts out the first step in the process, and a potential extra hospital appointment.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
GP can prescribe lactose free and can prescribe ranitidine. It's one of the commonest drugs given to children so there are no issues with GPs prescribing. A large majority of babies that I see, who are referred with possible reflux, have already had a trial of ranitidine from their gp. This is quite useful as it cuts out the first step in the process, and a potential extra hospital appointment.

we keep asking for ranitidine they wont give him it, they just say ya need to wait for the hospital, well we was only to find the Dr didnt sign the letter so it was not posted.

We have asked Dr for ranitidine and they just say no, they say we have to take one of the side effects either the sick or the constipation.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Our daughter is seriously allergic to dairy, nuts, egg.

She was breastfed until about 9 months then went on to Soya Aptimel (sp) there were also hormone concerns and future fertility issues for girls but we had no real choice and heeded the advice of the dietary expert at the hospital.

At age 7 she became allergic to soya milk (she can tollerate small quantities of soya in some foods).

Be aware that some of these milk substitutes can murder their teeth so take extra care to brush properly when the time comes.

She is now on rice milk and is quite happy - our problem now is getting enough calcium in her diet and we might be forced to give her a supplement.

We paid a fortune over the years as most of these non-mainstream products are significantly more expensive than the mass produced stuff.

Good Luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here