Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lack of Options

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Having an opinion is one thing, saying anyone not agreeing is deluded and blind is another.

Do we know if Murray has an emergency recall clause in his loan agreement?
Watford fans want to send him back he’s so bad, let’s just remember the good the times Murray gave us and move on.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A new striker would be brilliant, We all agree. I would imagine that Potter, Bloom and everyone else at the club agrees too.

So the question is why haven't we got on in?

The only logical answer here really is that we can't find one who: passes the no dick heads policy, is young and will have resell value and/or is within our wage and transfer budget.

Its not that hard is it?

Personally, as frustrating as it all is. Given the history of this club, I am thrilled that the powers that be are being prudent and not gambling the future of our club.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I only respond like that to people who accuse me of being a Palace fan. See my other responses on this thread to those who take a reasonable tone as I can see others viewpoint.

Sorry, I thought that was in your thread opening post?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The days of recalling players outside of transfer windows are long gone.

If he has a recall clause we can't use it until Jan 1st.

Thanks. Maybe it is a risk, but Jan 01 isn’t actually a huge number of games away. Maybe Gyokores getting 15 Championship games in then needing to come in is no bad thing rather than just sitting on the bench waiting for a crisis.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
There are a number of factors here that you need to accept:
1. Potter does not rely on the traditional big number 9 he prefers his strikers to be be more mobile technical players.
2. We are not a bottomless pit in terms of cash and strikers are bloody expensive.
3. Not everyone wants to play for Brighton despite what some people seem to think there are other options.
4. We are on a long term plan not a "success at any expense this season".

this... we really are not a rich club and we have made a few mistakes already in the PL with players who looked better than they were

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Good point although we don’t want to be that team that always deserves a win but never do because we didn’t sign a top level finisher. It will get very frustrating knowing that extra recruitment would of made a huge difference.
Tell me where you are going to get a striker Who will guarantee us 20 goals a season for under 80 mil I would rather be patient and wait for the one That potter Wants and rates Than waste 30 mil on a duff

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
theres a point in there thats being ignored. Murray certainly isnt a realistic option for our style, but we do need a forward or two who know the position. not even goalscorer, i think there are goals in the midfield given a chance, need a least a player makes the runs, holds the ball, presses etc. otherwise we'll get pushed up by defenses. going into season with only two recognised forwards is high risk.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Lack of options or we now have a plan B similar to Spain when they won the European Championship without a recognised striker on the pitch

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That’s fair enough. Personally for me too many of those you listed are not actually forwards or are out injured. I know Izzy is on the bench for the u23s today but it will be months till he’s fully firing.
Where is this information on the Albion website?

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Yup. There are no forward options apart from Maupay, Connolly, Trossard, March, Gross, Ali J and andone and izquierdo coming back from injury. Apart from that, bare bones.

My view is we need another striker and your post and points reinforces that point. Other than Maupay and Connolly none of the others you listed are strikers except Andone and he’s injured till new year. Izzy hasn’t played for best part of two years and is also unlikely to be properly fit till near Xmas, he’s also a winger. Gross isn’t a striker, March isn’t a striker and has scored an average of one goal per season in PL. Ali J and Trossard are good attacking players but are not strikers.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My view is we need another striker and your post and points reinforces that point. Other than Maupay and Connolly none of the others you listed are strikers except Andone and he’s injured till new year. Izzy hasn’t played for best part of two years and is also unlikely to be properly fit till near Xmas, he’s also a winger. Gross isn’t a striker, March isn’t a striker and has scored an average of one goal per season in PL. Ali J and Trossard are good attacking players but are not strikers.

Scored the winner for the U23s today.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Ok. You clearly reside back in the stone age and still think players only have one position.

No and unlike you I’m someone who watches us regularly and knows for a fact than none of the players you listed, except Andone who is injured and out of favour, are strikers.

I’m all for trying players in different positions but at the end of the day if Maupay breaks a leg and you are relying on the players you have listed to fill in as a striker long term then we will be in serious trouble. Our only other striker in that scenario is a youngster who has scored 4 goals in 30 odd

I can’t believe you think listing Gross and March as options when I’m saying we are short of strikers helps your argument. Do you actually watch us play?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
A new striker would be brilliant, We all agree. I would imagine that Potter, Bloom and everyone else at the club agrees too.

So the question is why haven't we got on in?

The only logical answer here really is that we can't find one who: passes the no dick heads policy, is young and will have resell value and/or is within our wage and transfer budget.

Its not that hard is it?

Personally, as frustrating as it all is. Given the history of this club, I am thrilled that the powers that be are being prudent and not gambling the future of our club.

But they are gambling the future of our club.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I try and be a positive poster and am overall delighted with the direction of the club, the ethos and the way we play. But I am finding it increasingly difficult to understand the clubs position in relation to our attacking options given that one bad injury could undo so much of the great work. On the bench today we have no forward options at all. It’s just not an acceptable position for a premier league club aspiring to be more than just relegation battlers.

I look at clubs that we consider realistic rivals and they all, and I mean all, have greater strength and depth. Look at Villa, Sheffield United, Newcastle, Burnley. Southampton, West Ham, all have three four first team strikers to call on.

Look at the number of games we have in December how can we possibly think we can survive that with two strikers, it ridiculous.

I know this topic has been done to death and the usual posters will be along to defend everything the club does but on this topic it simply Is not good enough. I understand we need to be prudent in our financial dealings given the pandemic but if the situation is so desperate that we need to tackle a compressed season with only two forwards then someone should say so.

Our forward recruitment since we joined the EPL has been poor. We are now almost immune to it and how does the proverb go; insanity is doing the same thing over and over and hoping for a different outcome.

Anyone who doesn’t think we would benefit from having at least Murray as an option on the bench today is deluded and is blind to a real issue.

P.s if we do end up signing a striker before the window closes I will be delighted to eat humble pie!

Perfect post. I have been repeatedly saying the same things far less eloquently. But, as you say, the usual suspects will run to the clubs defence incorrectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
ssshhhh! don't let facts get in the way of a good rant

We have taken a punt on a Swiss second division striker. It may wok out, but he is hardly the proven striker we need

Last edited:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
The striker is being loaned out as not ready for first team football according to Andy Naylor and so I don’t see how that helps the immediate issue.

No the club have already corrected Naylor on that

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Again, spot on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here