Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lack of attacking options in Centre Midfield...

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Ive seen mentions of Orlandi on here but there again is he really that different does he really offer that cutting edge in the centre of midfield??

I think he does - his assists last season, plus some great goals (Newcastle, Blackpool are two that immediately come to mind) have been missing - plus he can deliver a good dead ball, something else that we've missed.

On a positive note; we've not yet experienced a season where both Crofts & Orlandi have been both available and on form; next season could be a stunner in that regard.

dan4bha

Mar 27, 2014
last season Lopez, Orlandi, Lualua and Buckley all scored 5+ goals, this season they have just 6 goals combined. Issue lies here IMO. Personally think that last year we played our best football with both Lopez and Orlandi (our two most technical/creative players) playing centrally in midfield, with a defensive midfielder behind them to cover. Think something along these lines should be replicated this season, just not sure Garcia has any intention of playing two offensive central midfielders, although he has admittedly hardly been able to use Orlandi this season.

I think Garcia's midfield selections have been too negative of late, there is no need for both Andrews and Ince to be in the team. Plus although JFC is solid and good at retaining possession, he just isn't technically good enough to play the most offensive role in that midfield.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Dave has been utterly wasted out on the right, last season he was scoring and creating goals from centre midfield. Can't really slot him in now but I think he would have had a much better season had he played more in the middle.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Orlandi is the answer to OP

JFC, Ince and Dale Stephens all good and young but can't play all 3 together.

Crofts is great one season, poor the next but that is 5 good players. Scrap the rest and use their combined wages elsewhere like upfront. Think we went for too many rolls of the dice with Agustein and Andrews as they don't play enough to establish themselves. Stephens may be their replacement in already tbh. If you get a 6th in summer then none of them will play enough to progress massively

I think Dave is a wide player we use inside in a pinch btw and same with Buckley

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
He played right back last season and is perfectly capable of doing it, he is however not the ball winner, in the same way that Buckley and Jesse aren't, but he is a playmaker and a goal maker.

I think I may already know what sort of player Lopez is I have seen him home and away over the last two seasons. Im not sure if you have been watching him properly this season but he shirks out of tackles a lot and playing cm the liklehood is you will need to put the boot in at some stage, you with me?

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I think I may already know what sort of player Lopez is I have seen him home and away over the last two seasons. Im not sure if you have been watching him properly this season but he shirks out of tackles a lot and playing cm the liklehood is you will need to put the boot in at some stage, you with me?

This is true, but Dave is the only player I think who has the vision and imagination to play that 'killer' pass. Agustien fits the same mould but obviously something's not right with him and Oscar.

Not read all the posts but, to state the obvious, we also miss crofts, who was on course for a good season.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

I bet you wish he hadn't been substituted today, are with me?

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Hey mate. I can concur with you on that, I felt we, the paying public were short changed today and for the first time ever, we left with 5 minutes to go.

All that I can detect is total lack of confidence in our play at the moment, levels of commitment seemed to have dropped by a few (it only takes 1 or 2) I know GP had his critics and I know everyone on this forum knows best (inc me) but I just think we need someone who is going to get hold of these players and give them a kick up the ass at times. OG seems to be too meek and mild to get into the heads of these players and make them want to run through walls for him and their team mates.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
he'll have ince and andrews to do that for him, put him in attacking midfield and he doesn't become a liability like he does out wide.

disagree , I think wherever you play on the park you need to put tackles in whole heartedly when called on. This said the likelihood is there will be less onus on this in a higher attacking role

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
disagree , I think wherever you play on the park you need to put tackles in whole heartedly when called on. This said the likelihood is there will be less onus on this in a higher attacking role

i agree he should put in a few tackles, but he is a quality creative midfielder and proved it last season. If he is going to be on the pitch, play him where he plays his best game and play him where he isn't required to do too much defending. He is certainly better in his defensive role than kemy.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Although SD can be really frustrating, especially when he shirks tackles - on balance I feel we need to play him in CM in the hope he will make the sort of incisive passes we haven't seen since Vicente left. Plus he's handy for taking dead balls (and dare I say penalties.......). Otherwise our build up play is too predictable. Without Orlandi or Agustien we just don't have anyone else with the vision and skill.

Vicente didn't exactly put himself about much either - but then we didn't play him as a ball winner.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I thought he was our best player till he went off

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm not of the view that Saturday's display was as bad as Neecha and Brighton Mod are suggesting -- I'm naming them specifically, because their comments are usually well judged, and they're not the vociferous doom-and-gloom merchants that inhabit NSC.
I thought Lopez was one of our better players too, and can't quite understand why he was moved out wide, and taken off. If he wasn't taken off, we might be looking at a different result too, because he always inspires me with confidence whenever we have a penalty. I think he has to start in the attacking midfield role again on Tue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here