Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Labour to double paternity leave

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
And they're off ... what other barmy ideas can they spout off about before the election and how do they intend to pay for it ... hmmmmm wait a minute they probably haven't even thought of that much like the last time they were in office

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Who is supposed to be funding this bonding time? Are they planning for it to be funded by central government or placing the burden on the employers?
If the latter can they impose the condition retrospectively.
Having already costed taking on employees on an existing agreed contracts they will be expected to add this additional benifit at the there own cost.
Guessing it could be challenged in court.
Also it's appears it could be discrimative as it will only apply to couples of child bearing age.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Who is supposed to be funding this bonding time? Are they planning for it to be funded by central government or placing the burden on the employers?
Having already costed taking on employees on an existing agreed contracts they will be expected to add this additional benifit at the there own cost.
Also it's appears it could be discrimative as it will only apply to couples of child bearing age.

You do realise this is already in place don't you - i.e. fathers can take 2 weeks currently ?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Nothing is free and for those employed is in effect a pay rise for those who benefit. But that is what politics is about, choices. Not exactly the most extravagant political "give away"

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Can you tell me how much the new Pensioners Bonds are going to cost the tax payer ?

So giving something to pensioners who've paid tax all their working lives is a bad thing?

Also I wonder if giving out further concessions to people who have kids is a little unfair on those who don't, seeing as all taxpayers already fund family allowance?

My concern on this one for for small businesses, it's not the cost, it's the inconvienience and disruption that losing an employee for four weeks will bring.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
You do realise this is already in place don't you - i.e. fathers can take 2 weeks currently ?

Yes fully aware of that, at an already rate of pay.
Labour want to double the monetary remuneration for this period.
Now back to the question in hand, who are they expecting to fund this additional expenditure.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can you tell me how much the new Pensioners Bonds are going to cost the tax payer ?

nothing. they will be offering a rate similar to that from new gilts issued. though why they have to limit them is beyond me.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Good idea. Exactly why Labour is the way forward for this Tory crippled Isle. Can't wait for the labour government again.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
This is the Labour Party who claim to be good for business. Letting fathers have an extra couple of weeks off work each time they become a dad, is not that helpful to employers and not needed by employees. The average amount of holiday leave in this country is 4-5 weeks. You are also allowed to have an extra 2 weeks off when the baby arrives. This means that an employee who has 5 weeks a year holiday and has a baby will have 9 weeks off in one year instead of the current 7 weeks.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Jeez, no wonder our enemies see us as soft and weak.

We are already allowing fathers to take some time off to help with this, but now we need to DOUBLE it? How did any of us ever make it through without these indispensible benefits and comforts in the past?

That is the same argument that everyone who is asking for extra wages/benefits for no extra effort uses. It carries no weight whatsoever without relevant research to back it up.
Got to make you right with the first part of your post.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Please don't ever go into business employing people. You seem to know **** all about employment law. As has been pointed out....it's ALL already in place.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is the Labour Party who claim to be good for business. Letting fathers have an extra couple of weeks off work each time they become a dad, is not that helpful to employers and not needed by employees. The average amount of holiday leave in this country is 4-5 weeks. You are also allowed to have an extra 2 weeks off when the baby arrives. This means that an employee who has 5 weeks a year holiday and has a baby will have 9 weeks off in one year instead of the current 7 weeks.

If Germany's economy and society can somehow thrive on giving parents even better terms than what is being proposed I'm damn sure the UK can find a way.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Good idea. Exactly why Labour is the way forward for this Tory crippled Isle. Can't wait for the labour government again.

I really would not hold your breath.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here