Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Labour leadership race

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
And I'm guessing Ken Clarke. see above post.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Not following this closely but everyone who seems to be coming forward, for leader of deputy, seem to be saying they lost the centre left ground and need to head back there. Makes sense to me, a proper centre left party to compete on policies.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I think all the candidates should have to a) have one go at prime minister's questions b) be on Question time against their government opposite number c) have to be interviewed by the same public audience that attended the BBC individual leader sessions

That will help assess the candidates.

Let's remember that Cameron was 5th favourite until he spoke at the Conservatives conference in 2005
Really ? That surprises me seeing as there were only four candidates contesting the leadership, and only Cameron and Davis were left in it by the time Cameron spoke at the Tory conference.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Thats actually a resonable suggestion. My opinion of many polititians is made from their appearances on QT ( esp when against their oppo number) Out of interest who ahere the four favourites I presume May and Boris who were the otther two?

The field was David Davis, Liam Fox, Ken Clarke and David Cameron. There may have been another - I can't remember. Davis was seen as being the hot favourite, and I think won the initial contest among MPs, but Cameron's conference speech effectively finished his campaign. Clarke and Fox were eliminated in the initial contest, Clarke decisively so, leaving Cameron and Davis to fight it out among the members. I remember going to a hustings. Davis had far more to say than Cameron, but just couldn't get his message across. What Cameron did have to say he said brilliantly. He didn't win in 2010, but you have to remember that until the MPs' expenses scandal, the Tories were well ahead in the polls, on about 40% , and I think they were hit worse than Labour - Labour were going to lose the election anyway, whereas from that time on, the Tories were never in the position to win on their own. Though Cleggmania made a bit of an impact, the Tories recovered most of what they lost to the Lib Dems, but what happened to the other 4% I don't know.

Despite being a Tory myself, I think Labour do need a good, strong leader. It isn't good for any government not to face a strong opposition who can hold them to account. Personally I do think Umunna is a loss. He launched his campaign in Swindon, just the sort of place Labour have to win back to get back into government, and the sort of place with plenty of "aspirational working class" voters. These days, even within the various classes, there are differences. London Irish claims Labour held on to the middle classes, but lost its own heartland. However, that didn't matter - the only seat they lost to the Tories in the North was Morley and Outwood, Ed Balls' seat. Defections to UKIP may have helped the Tories to hold on in a few seats, but I'm not sure how many. Remember a lot of the working class in places like Swindon and other southern/midland towns are highly skilled, and many are not doing badly in terms of wages. Turning left is hardly going to attract them. Of the remaining candidates, who is the best? I don't know - if Burnham gets it, he will be seen as the union man. Cooper would be a formidable opponent. Mary Creagh and Liz Kendall I don't know enough about. One thing about electing a woman would be that Cameron might have to tone his language down a bit in PMQs - his response to one of the Eagle sisters; I can't remember which one it was, did not go down well.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Bad news for the Labour party. You can almost see the next election beginning to slip away too. Yvette Cooper, Burnham both tainted by recent Labour failures, Mary Creagh an unknown but 7 years on Islington Borough Council doesn't bode well. As for Liz Kendall she's married to the excellent Greg Davies and whatever her merits having the Prime Minister of the UK being shagged nightly by Mr Gilbert of the Inbetweeners makes her a non-starter.

If I was David Miliband I'd be concerned that if I didn't go in now then in 5 years time I'd be pushing 55, out of the game for a decade and up against a now older and wiser Chuka Umunna and Dan Jarvis.

Liz and Greg weren't married plus they split up just before the election, does that put her back in the running?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Really ? That surprises me seeing as there were only four candidates contesting the leadership, and only Cameron and Davis were left in it by the time Cameron spoke at the Tory conference.

There were more than 4 candidates at the time of the Conference. 5 gave speeches Clarke, Rifkind, Davis, Cameron and Liam. dave was not a front runner with the bookies at that time. I think Theresa was still standing without speaking? His speech made him front runner.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
There were more than 4 candidates at the time of the Conference. 5 gave speeches Clarke, Rifkind, Davis, Cameron and Liam. dave was not a front runner with the bookies at that time. I think Theresa was still standing without speaking? His speech made him front runner.
There wasn't, you're completely wrong.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

2005. October 4th Blackpool Tory Conference. October 17th last 4 candidates. I may be out 1 or 2 days either side as quoting of the top of my head but there were more than 5 candidates at the Conference. Stop embarrassing yourself, it's simple research most teenagers or immigrants would be able to do it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
2005. October 4th Blackpool Tory Conference. October 17th last 4 candidates. I may be out 1 or 2 days either side as quoting of the top of my head but there were more than 5 candidates at the Conference. Stop embarrassing yourself, it's simple research most teenagers or immigrants would be able to do it.

It depends, some said they were going to stand but withdrew before the actual ballots so do they actually count?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Party_(UK)_leadership_election,_2005

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ridiculous that Labour are plunging headlong into a rushed leadership race without first going and sitting in the corner and thinking long and hard about what they've done wrong. OK, sure, this Tory junta will at the next 'emergency' budget reveal itself in its true purge-the-poor colours and invoke riots in the streets, but I personally don't want a Labour government that then just takes over by default.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

He's not. Conference speeches were 6th oct and 5 spoke. Davis, rifkind, Clarke, Cameron and fox. Rifkind stepped away at end of conference. Clarke was eliminated at first ballot of MPs, Fox went at next round leaving Davis and Cameron tonight it out.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It depends, some said they were going to stand but withdrew before the actual ballots so do they actually count?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Party_(UK)_leadership_election,_2005

They were in the running at the conference and bookies odds were available as with the present Labour Leader possibles. The nominations were then accepted between 7-18th June producing 4 candidates. You are right that at the Conference there were not any 'official' candidates but a number of people were touting themselves. [MENTION=4251]ROSM[/MENTION] was commenting how Cameroon became bookies favourite on the back of his famous Blacpool Speech. The leadership contest did not just include the final 4.
Pedantically I am wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here