Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Lab grown meat

boik

Come now. You've been on NSC long enough to know that appraising the facts with consideration is the last thing you should do before offering an opinion :wink:

Ha ha. Always find it worrying how reluctant people are to admit that they don't know, and how politicians and scientists are torn to shreds if they admit that they don't know. Ends up with people pretending that they know or else lying about it. Just take a side and stick to it! On NSC you can always cover that by saying "all about opinions innit?".

How can we get away from this?

I don't know.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I've been a (rather lackadaisical) veggie for 30 years. Originally I gave up meat because I didn't want to kill animals to eat, even if by proxy.
For the last few years I've got a bit bored with veggie food and found myself fancying a pork pie or bit of steak, the only thing stopping me is a nagging voice in my head that I'd be betraying the last 30 years.
If no animals have died to make this, I'd give it a go.

Absolutely this!

I have only been pescatarian for a year and am sometimes tempted at a restaurant that doesn't offer much for me.

Turning points for me were in the amount of climate change is caused by beef farming, reading about conditions chickens were kept in and following a small truck here in Malta which had 3 cows jammed in and knowing where they were going.

I am a target for those who will criticise me for eating fish, but in my head, that is not as bad.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Surely much better to choose an opinion, by little more than pin sticking, then save face at all costs by defending it with ever more vitriol in the face of reasoned logic even if deep down you've stopped believing it yourself.

That said, I'm guessing if most people don't have an opinion they don't post, rather than posting to say they don't know. Each to their own though

You mean like me and my admiration for the 2020-21 version of little Grealish? :wink:

(I was only teasing him, you realise? Asking for a friend).

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
well i like a steak ....char grilled with a decent bottle of red with brandy , cigars and bugle for afters , by pandering to this fetish i will probably bring about an early demise but at least i will have had a laugh and enjoyed myself for 70 years rather than being a miserable **** for 85.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
It doesn't sound very appetizing but, if people can get used to other pretend meats, then I'm sure there'll be a market for it.
As for reforestation of grazing land once we slaughter all the animals because they're not needed, it won't happen. It'll be used for human growth. Housing, laboratories and factories are needed to sustain this growth. Pretend meat won't nearly be enough to feed this growing population, they'll have to clear more land to cater for the farm animals needed to feed us.
I may sound a tad cynical but I'm at that age when change is not as welcome as it was when i was younger.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Don't know too much about it to be honest, but if and when it becomes readily available I'll give it a go. From a food perspective, I'm generally happy to try anything once

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I'm in! Turned veggie this year and have cut down on dairy massively. As much as I love meat, I've always been queasy about how it arrives at my table and the looming climate crisis has pushed me over the edge.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
More than anything with this, the chance to reforest farmland is surely the most significant thing. Possibly a huge boost for the fight against climate change and nature generally

Fight against climate change :lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Three Words: Bill. Gates. Microchips. Not for me.

meat version of
McCain-micro-chips-straight.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here