Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kusczak signing imminent!!!!

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
It will be a shame if we miss out on him, he would have been a great signing. I won't be conncerned about signings just yet though, after all there is still 2 months until the first game.

Let's hope there are other quality keepers out there whose demands aren't as high!

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
These statements are all rather extreme and slightly hysterical.

No one would expect to pay good players peanuts but through prudence and presumably to keep the whole squad happy, there is a wage structure that the club follow.
Just because the club won't break the wage structure doesn't mean that we are tinpot.
We don't keep getting players of L1/L2 standard (and so what if we did, Norwich got promoted with half a team of them).
Your faith in the ability of our current squad to at least maintain last years finishing position is sad to read but possibly affected by the over emotional state you seem to be in.

Keep Calm.

There's no way we will finish as high as we did this year, if we have to play Casper/Brez, Painter and Dicker all season. Still got plenty of time to get better players in to replace them though so agree no need to panic

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
These statements are all rather extreme and slightly hysterical.

No one would expect to pay good players peanuts but through prudence and presumably to keep the whole squad happy, there is a wage structure that the club follow.
Just because the club won't break the wage structure doesn't mean that we are tinpot.
We don't keep getting players of L1/L2 standard (and so what if we did, Norwich got promoted with half a team of them).
Your faith in the ability of our current squad to at least maintain last years finishing position is sad to read but possibly affected by the over emotional state you seem to be in.

Keep Calm.

I am also keeping calm, but we do have certain players in the squad who just aren't good enough to take things forward. I would say these are Dicker, Brez/Casper, Painter Harley.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I think everyone underestimates the momentum gained by the move and promotion but that feel good factor will not continue long. Additionally we used the loan market significantly to improve the squad on a temporary basis. I for one am not convinced that a midfield of dicker, sparrow and Harley, back four including painter and the current goal keepers will achieve the finishing position of last year and I think that this is a lower level squad. Yes we need to be sensible but that has to be balanced by the need to improve and against the backdrop of dimished income should the season prove disappointing.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I think everyone underestimates the momentum gained by the move and promotion but that feel good factor will not continue long. Additionally we used the loan market significantly to improve the squad on a temporary basis. I for one am not convinced that a midfield of dicker, sparrow and Harley, back four including painter and the current goal keepers will achieve the finishing position of last year and I think that this is a lower level squad. Yes we need to be sensible but that has to be balanced by the need to improve and against the backdrop of dimished income should the season prove disappointing.
We're not going to play a midfield of Dicker, Sparrow, and Harley, so you're in luck (though why people think having Dicker back is anything other than an improvement of our squad is bizarre, this anti-Dicker bandwagon really is strange). We will also more than likely sign a leftback. Brezovan has shown he's a pretty decent keeper.

We've (possibly) not got two players everyone would have liked to sign and would have strengthened our squad, but the summer isn't over, it's a bit early to all be commiting suicide about next season. I don't really know where this diminished income is going to come into play either, with thousands of additional season ticket holders coming in.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
We're not going to play a midfield of Dicker, Sparrow, and Harley, so you're in luck (though why people think having Dicker back is anything other than an improvement of our squad is bizarre, this anti-Dicker bandwagon really is strange). We will also more than likely sign a leftback. Brezovan has shown he's a pretty decent keeper.

We've (possibly) not got two players everyone would have liked to sign and would have strengthened our squad, but the summer isn't over, it's a bit early to all be commiting suicide about next season. I don't really know where this diminished income is going to come into play either, with thousands of additional season ticket holders coming in.

They'll be plenty more loan opportunities too once the Premiership managers get back to their squads, especially with all the managers having new teams up there.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Ex- Premiership players will always have higher wages, it's up to them to lower them, not up to us to higher ours. f*** him.

This! Someone has to say no to unreasonable wage demands. We still don't know the situation with TK but if he is asking for money than we feel is value we would be correct in letting him slip and find someone else.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
They'll be plenty more loan opportunities too once the Premiership managers get back to their squads, especially with all the managers having new teams up there.
Indeed, I couldn't quite work out how the fact we strengthened our squad at times last season using the loan system somehow means we're doomed next season.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
im thinking we may well hit the loan market thiss season, with some quality season long loan deals

Shelvey at Liverpool for example, and a couple from Chelsea perhaps, either way they will be quite late in the day deals.

THere is still an age until the season kicks off. Dont panic.

If we have signed anyone of note by the end of July then i might start being concerned.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

Agree on the anti-Dicker bandwagon. He does give the ball away but he was the creative link at the start of the season. Trouble was that when he came back, the system had changed and I don't think he fitted in to it as well, but he's ceratinly good enough for this division. We need someone solid alongside Vicente so Bridcutt doesn't have to do all the work. Navarro and Sparrow both showed they could do it on occasions but not consistently. Have to say I like Harley and he is a much better player than he has shown for us at times, but he just doesn't seem to have the workrate we need to allow Vicente to float.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Dicker would have been released if he was out of contract, as would Sparrow, Navs had a bit more than either of them two and he has gone...... I would keep Sparrow at a pinch, only because he has a bit of pace..... Dicker adds nothing at this level.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I seem to recall Gus saying that vicente was likely to base some of his decision to return on the quality of the signings we would be making. I would not see him returning to a side that without the necessary investment is likely to be treading water for a period. To continue our progress I truely believe we need two full backs, goalkeeper, midfield leader and forward to bring the best out of CMS and they do not come cheap. I wonder how many of the new season ticket holders have been purchased on the basis of watching a side challenging toward the top end of the table and who will be qucik to turn if the side does not show progression to go with the fickle minority from last year.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
ASSUMING we are going down the Mattock route again, and not paying what our competitors are willing to pay, will Vicente really want to stick around with the players we have and are likely to attract? I'd imagine not personally.

Hoping we announce a big signing soon and these seeds of doubt can F*** right off :down:

The interesting thing is Gus said himself he needs to sign quality to have a chance of Vicente staying. You have to wonder what his opinion of quality is, and if Brighton can even afford that.

... though why people think having Dicker back is anything other than an improvement of our squad is bizarre, this anti-Dicker bandwagon really is strange). We will also more than likely sign a leftback. Brezovan has shown he's a pretty decent keeper.

Dicker gives the ball away far too much. It wouldn't be a problem if Brighton were a long ball team, but they're not. They're a short passing team, and for that you need players that can hold the ball and make the right pass, and all too often, especially after coming back from injury, he gave the ball away. And Brezovan made costly mistakes leading to goals. Not solid enough if you want to mount a serious challenge.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Not at all but do you honestly think that we would reach the premier league paying players peanuts. We have to get out of this tinpot mentality that we've built up. Sure I can understand we are trying to build for the future but surely we aren't going to do much good If we keep getting players who are L1/L2 Standard. I for one think we over achieved last season and next season we will need to pull our finger out or It's going to be an early relegation battle.

No. But he is supposedly demanding 20K a week. Do you really think we should be paying a Championship goalkeeper over a million pounds a year? I'd much rather we stuck to our wage structure, built the academy, and progressed slowly, than went up, came back down, and then did a Pompey because we couldn't afford the wages. If his wage demands are unrealistic, then we should look elsewhere. We'll still be able to get a decent 'keeper in.

It's not 'tin pot' to work to a wage structure and try to avoid going into debt. Are Arsenal 'tin pot'?

Batti

Jul 19, 2010
No. But he is supposedly demanding 20K a week. Do you really think we should be paying a Championship goalkeeper over a million pounds a year? I'd much rather we stuck to our wage structure, built the academy, and progressed slowly, than went up, came back down, and then did a Pompey because we couldn't afford the wages. If his wage demands are unrealistic, then we should look elsewhere. We'll still be able to get a decent 'keeper in.

It's not 'tin pot' to work to a wage structure and try to avoid going into debt. Are Arsenal 'tin pot'?

Agree with what you're saying but, if he was still employed elsewhere; I would have thought he would be worth £1m transfer fee and £10k a week for 2 years which would add up to roughly the same...

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Lets not forget this is one of the bigger signings we will be going for this summer. No surprises that it's not plain sailing. And as disappointing as it would be, it's not the end of the world if it doesn't come off either.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Agree with what you're saying but, if he was still employed elsewhere; I would have thought he would be worth £1m transfer fee and £10k a week for 2 years which would add up to roughly the same...

But what happens when other players in our 1st team come to the manager asking for a pay rise to match our new keeper?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here