Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kudos to our recruitment team

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Simple one - has this club ever recruited as consistently well as we do now?

Job to say. It's that old thing that you can't really compare one era with another. We obviously recruited pretty well to get to the 1st. division in the 70s - Lawrenson, Stevens (or was he a Stephens? - I can't remember), Foster, Ward, Horton, etc., and we got some good players in while we were there (in hindsight possibly overpriced and/or overpaid, but that's history).
In harder times we've done well, within our limited means - Zamora, OGH, Willie Irvine, Nobby Lawton, etc, etc, etc.

But yes, the current team are definitely doing very well, thank you.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I could list a side full of unsuccesful players we have signed, Amex era. We have done well but I think we have forgotten some of the lemons.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Could become harder as we need to have a set about of British players right? Especially if our English players are the targets of bids in the summer.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Why? If we stay up they will be going no where

I think Dunk may go at the end of the season whether we stay up or go down.

If he gets an offer from a top 6 side then I think, quite rightly, it should be his decision and TB will let him go (at the right price !)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Could become harder as we need to have a set about of British players right? Especially if our English players are the targets of bids in the summer.

Yes, if Krul, Sidwell and Rosenior go, we'll have to get in home growns to replace them, regardless of any first teamers that we might (possibly) sell. We won't have the option of raiding the Dutch league again, as we have in the past.
Still, I'm sure that when they come back from their extended world cruise, the recruitment team will get right down to business in the last week of August! No worries.........

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Current rules only are not based on nationality.

A player is considered home grown if they spent 36 months registered with a FA or Welsh FA affiliated club before the age of 21. If you look at our squad Tim Krul is home grown, Glenn Murray isn't (due to spending 3 years or so in the States and not spending enough time on any club's books as a schoolboy/trainee).

Our major issue might not just be the possibility of HGP's being sold but the fact that two of them, Sidwell and Rosenior, are coming to the end of their careers. They might not be offered contracts next season, or could want to move on as they seek to play more regularly as their careers come to an end.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Still, I'm sure that when they come back from their extended world cruise, the recruitment team will get right down to business in the last week of August! No worries.........

To be fair, I've heard they really put the effort in that week though. There's rumours that they have even stayed past 6 on occasions :eek:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That is why we are recruiting players like Gyokeres and Radulovic - get them young enough and they become *home grown*.

Also I think it is likely that both our number 2 and number 3 keepers will be home grown next season. Krul and 1 other ( maybe Walton ).

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
A relatively quiet summer IF we stay up... not much to do, but:

Another RB if Bruno off.
Sort out Bong's contract.
Honey Monster or replacement?
Another CM if Super Sid off.
Cover for Izzy.
Another striker or cover for Gross if Sam B off.

... is my guess... so a lot of that is retention rather than big buys, I would have thought...

Oh, and well done to the Recruitment team (although you took far too long to get in striker reinforcements)...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That is why we are recruiting players like Gyokeres and Radulovic - get them young enough and they become *home grown*.

Let's just hope some of the attacking youngsters are more 'First Team Ready' than our U23s attacking players usually are! We could have a short tem problem next season - time for the recruitment team to show their mettle.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
The knee-jerk bellends who were kicking off in the summer must feel rather FOOLISH right now.

A comparison:

Davy Propper:
PSV to Albion - £10million
28 appearances, 0 goals, 3 assists
1,158 passes
34 shots
52 tackles
52 clearances

Davy Klaassen:
Ajax to Everton - £23.6million
4 appearances, 0 goals, 0 assists
68 passes
1 shot
2 tackles
1 clearance

Those stats say everything you need to know about the quality of our recruitment team/policies.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Lest we forget ....
Ryan ... too short/liability/Stockdale
The greyhound ... worst debut ever, ever ever
Gross, too slow
Propper, Dutch, bound to be shit/ quiet
Jose, moody south American, what were we thinking of
Locadia, desperate last ditch signing, injured, probably won't ever play for us
Krul, see Propper.
I just hope Steve Alzate turns out to be alright.

Not forgetting that Huddersfield got in early and were signing everybody! They were bound to stay up and we were favourites for relegation.

The knee-jerk bellends who were kicking off in the summer must feel rather FOOLISH right now.

A comparison:

Davy Propper:
28 appearances, 0 goals, 3 assists
1,158 passes
34 shots
52 tackles
52 clearances

Davy Klaassen:
Ajax to Everton - £23.6million
4 appearances, 0 goals, 0 assists
68 passes
1 shot
2 tackles
1 clearance

Those stats say everything you need to know about the quality of our recruitment team/policies.

And
https://twitter.com/elliotcook01/status/967907303105220608

[tweet]967907303105220608[/tweet]

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Add a zero to the price we paid?

OK, maybe not quite that much, but probably not that far off.

Here's the full list of top assisters:

De Bruyne - 14
Sane - 10
Pogba - 9
Mkhitaryan - 8
Salah - 8
Silva - 8
Gross - 7
Alli - 7
Eriksen - 7
Mahrez - 7
Ozil - 7

I reckon that easily makes him worth 10 times what we paid for him

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The trick must be to look at the 7 squad players who don't regularly make the bench and try to replace them with players who would compete for a starting berth. We have possibly used the least amount of players out of every side this season

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Davy Propper:
0 goals
34 shots
and Propper's Albion related shooting prowess. :lol:

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here