Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kristo Tohver - Is he any good?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The referee in charge of our game against AEK tomorrow evening, from Estonia, seems to be quite card happy, doling out 54 yellows, and sent off four players in twelve top flight Estonian fixtures so far this season.

Could prove to be an interesting evening.

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
I am not exactly sure what this is about..

Tohver's stats in Estonian league (2023): 4,92 yellows, 0,5 reds and 0,17 pens per match (would say that the quality of league/players has more to do with the stats here).
Tohver's stats in UEFA competitions: 4.36 yellows, 0.24 reds and 0,24 pens per match.
Premier League average this season: 4,76 yellows, 0,22 reds and 0,31 pens per match.

Seems pretty comparable to me. So I wouldn't start complaining about the referee just yet.

I am sure he will be fine. Also, he is doing the segment "Video Assistant Referee" for Estonian league where he analyses and explains the situations where VAR intervened (or should have intervened) - sorry, only in Estonian:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
There was a tackle on lamptey in the corner that was not far from being a red and he did not even give a foul!
He booked De Zerbi for it though....

And to be honest - given Lamptey's poor luck with these things, I'm surprised he wasn't booked for getting fouled!

• Haha
Reactions: Vin

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
He only really got two decisions wrong. It's just that they were both penalties.

And to be fair - the first one did look like a dive in real time!
He got two “clear and obvious” decisions wrong plus many that he got away with because they are not covered by VAR, eg kicking the ball away, the launch into Lamptey, the push on Estupinan, the constant verbals from the Greek subs and coach aimed at Solly in the 2nd half (I thought subs had to warm up in the half where the linesman isn’t?).

BUT, we were our own worst enemy tonight

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Worst ref. since multiple old games against United? Can’t think of any worse in PL era other than against the one side.

We also deserved to loose if neither red card offence was deemed by NSC as worthy of more vitriol. AEK played a great gameplan.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Can't be any worse than we have week in week out !
This aged well.

Maybe actually refereeing is incredibly hard, especially with the pressure of the crowd and all the play-acting that goes on, and actually the PL don't do too bad-a job overall

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here