Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kraftwerk - More influential than the Beatles?

More influential than The Beatles?

• Ja

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • Nein

Votes: 118 76.1%

• Total voters

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Paul Morley thinks so.

And I did chuckle at his "who did The Beatles influence? Elton John, ELO, George Michael....that sounds more like a shuddering halt than influence" line.

He could have easily mentioned, Oasis, the Byrds, Tom Petty and many others, and there is also the issue that the Beatles were the pathfinders that opened music for many others. Without the Beatles would there have been a Kraftwerk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No, you are having a laugh. Compare the lyrics for Eleanor Rigby with Autobahn and think again.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
It's ridiculous to have a competition about two important bands. I would agree there was way too much Paul Morley in that documentary.

Kept referring to The Beatles, in a way that seemed to suggest he was more interested in slagging them off than actually contributing to a Kraftwerk documentary.

My heart always sinks when he appears on anything.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
See a kid in Crawley acting gangsta, blame Kraftwerk.

:lol:

Possibly. But what about James Brown? Funk, Soul, Hip Hop, Dance, R & B, Rave...and much, much more...he was a massive influence. Even Punk.

Influences go way back. Who knows what came from where, why and when? And how?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Without the Beatles would there have been a Kraftwerk

The minimalism and improvisation of early Krautrock, the scene from which Kraftwerk emerged, largely eschewed the more traditional arrangements employed by bands like The Beatles IMHO. I'm therefore not convinced a line can be drawn directly from The Beatles to Kraftwerk.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's ridiculous to have a competition about two important bands.

Fair comment. In my defence I though it might make a change from the usual racism and politics threads :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No, you are having a laugh. Compare the lyrics for Eleanor Rigby with Autobahn and think again.

Lyrics to Autobahn
Wir fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal
Die Sonne scheint mit Glitzerstrahl

Die Fahrbahn ist ein graues Band
Weisse Streifen, gruener Rand

Jetzt schalten wir ja das Radio an
Aus dem Lautsprecher klingt es dann:
Wir fah'rn auf der Autobahn...

[English translation:]

We are driving on the Autobahn

In front of us is a wide valley
The sun is shining with glittering rays

The driving strip is a grey track
White stripes, green edge

We are switching the radio on
From the speaker it sounds:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Morley peaked at the NME 30 years ago, pity he has to spout rubbish as the only way to draw attention to himself

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think the influence on hip hop is somewhat over played. the pioneers of hip hop sampled, they sampled far and wide and one hit was using the Kraftwerk samples. but it didnt really reflect the essence of the source music, at least, not in the way electro or techno does. hip hop didnt continue off in a similar vein, the sample was a moment for that track. or put another way, if kraftwerk didnt exist, im sure hip hop still would. i've always had a hard time with kraftwerk, because while i love all the many styles and genres they have directly influenced (house, techno, D&B, etc), i really dont like their music much. its so mechanical, it feels unnatural in a way most music doesnt. i have trouble reconciling this conflict.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Lyrics to Autobahn
Wir fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal
Die Sonne scheint mit Glitzerstrahl

Die Fahrbahn ist ein graues Band
Weisse Streifen, gruener Rand

Jetzt schalten wir ja das Radio an
Aus dem Lautsprecher klingt es dann:
Wir fah'rn auf der Autobahn...

[English translation:]

In front of us is a wide valley
The sun is shining with glittering rays

The driving strip is a grey track
White stripes, green edge

We are switching the radio on
From the speaker it sounds:

The defence, rests.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Right. Based on this thread I went on iPlayer and watched and I agree, they were more influential than The Beatles. However, (and I'm clearly going to underline my lack of 'cool' here) a whole hour went by and they didn't play or refer to 'The Model'? Even if it was to say how commercial it was and how much they hated it. Oh - and Paul Morley is like a bloke in a pub talking crap. Fair play to him for making a career out of it.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The Beatles influenced bands to become more marketing and sales savvy.

Kraftwerk influenced bands to throw everything they had ever been taught out the window and plug in some electronic stuff

Kraftwek 1 Other Stuff 0

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The Beatles never pioneered genres of music, they did influence many artists though. Some of their 60's counterparts did however influence whole genres.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here