Know Your Mushrooms

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ta, i just googled it. Theres another mushroom im thinking of but the name escapes me, kind of bulb shaped and inside goes fluid when it goes of.

Maybe the stinkorns? Although they start out slimy and egg (bulb) like and grow up from there.

Common stinkhorn starts out like a slimy green egg in the ground and stinks of rotten drains (attracting flies to it who then spread the spores on their feet) It can be eaten in this form apparently but I've never fancied it. As it grows it looks like a dick (albeit it one you wouldn't want to be in possession of), hence it's latin name, Phallus impudicus. Victorian id books used to draw it upside down apparently in order not to offend :lol: The dog stinkorn is a smaller version and looks like a dogs thingymibob.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yep thems the ones! Brains on stalks!

Brains on sticks? my thoughts exactly. Never eaten them either as they smell bloody horrible! But again, supposed to be quite a delicacy.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
V
Like a bit of foraging but having problems identifying these three.
First two are the same fungi, think the brownish one with a yellow bottom of the cup may be a bay bolete but not sure as the cap isn't like an umbrella.
They're not in my book so not sure
Can anyone indentify these.

34grbja.jpg

9i4n44.jpg

2096jyw.jpg

6fnlaf.jpg

http://www.wildfooduk.com/mushroom-guides/

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Talking of some of my own unmistakables. Went to my favourite parasol haunt earlier this evening. Not a parasol in sight, but did find a rather splendid looking beefstake fungus.

First photo is taken in auto mode to light up the vivid red (note the 'bleed' coming through the cap).

Second photo is taken in night time mode.

2013-09-16-1205.jpg
2013-09-16-1216.jpg

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Talking of some of my own unmistakables. Went to my favourite parasol haunt earlier this evening. Not a parasol in sight, but did find a rather splendid looking beefstake fungus.

First photo is taken in auto mode to light up the vivid red (note the 'bleed' coming through the cap).

Second photo is taken in night time mode.

View attachment 47018
View attachment 47019

Very nice find.
What area did you find that ?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Very nice find.
What area did you find that ?

A little copse in St.Leonards. Favourite spot of mine for parasols as the adjoining fields also have parasols every year guaranteed. Better still, there's shaggy parasols there too which are the sweeter of the two.

I found this Beefstake on an Oak of course(not sure if they grow on any other tree species to be honest). It was virtually in the same spot I found my first Beefstake fungus many years ago. There's a lot of bracket fungus in this copse. Loads of dryad's saddles, king alfred cakes and other inedibles. I didn't bother picking this beefstake as when I've tried them before they've just been as tough as old boots, no matter how long I cooked them for. Nice find all the same though. Apparently furniture makers prize the oaks they grow on as they add a red colour to the wood.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Entoloma9049.jpg

Big Blue Pinkgill, Entoloma bloxamii ?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Thought at first this may be the dreaded "destroying angel"
Picked today on grass verge on the side of the road.
The stem is smooth not fibrous and sports a skirt near the cap end.
Anyone I.D this one?

zwgg2o.jpg

2h3ppu0.jpg

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
These have grown in my garden over the past couple of days, about 15cm across.

P1140146 (Small).JPGP1140147 (Small).JPGP1140148 (Small).JPGP1140149 (Small).JPG

Being a colourblind individual, I'll never be able to enjoy mushroom foraging, oh well.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Top left one looks like a bolete, one with brown cap. Check them out. Perfectly good eating. Is the stem yellow? Could be bay bolete

Goldstone76

Jun 13, 2013
Magic mushrooms.. Liberty Caps.. go to the cricket ground at Ditchling.. Shhhhh....!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports