Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Knockaert scores

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
however what we do know with some degree of certainty Is despite dropping down a division he has got himself a substantial pay rise possibly as much an extra £20-30k per week. That in itself I suspect is a huge incentive to move. Plus of course a signing on fee which is likely I'm guessing be around another £1m . Not bad for a step down eh.
So some are saying that he may have gone cheap because he was on a highest earner clause here, and you're saying he's got a £20-30k pay rise? How does that work? How are Fulham (in the Championship) paying players £20-30k a week more than us?

And if they are paying a lot more than us, how come we're selling to them on the cheap?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Well he's said that Brighton's been the best club he's ever been at, etc etc, so it's a bit of a surprise to many of us that he wanted out.
It would have been very easy for him to say a multitude of things to justify this u-turn. He could talk about reassurance s of a first team place. He could say he was managed out. Fact is the most emotional man in football has said nothing, has a massive smile on his face and a fat wallet. Fulham approached us about a first team player in a division above. If he didn’t want to go he could have laughed it off. We never transfer listed him.

Doesn’t that stink of a player wanting out? It seems to me that talk is cheap with Anthony

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I think he showed quite a lot of loyalty. At the start of the Promotion season Newcastle came knocking with what I think was an £18m bid. Whether it was accepted or rejected is irrelevant because they would have been back with improved offers to get him. The only reason more offers didn't come was because Knockeart himself openly came out in public and stated he wasn't interested in leaving Brighton. So he did show quite a lot of loyalty. And who knows without him Promotion to the PL might not have been as straight forward because his contribution to that was phenomenal

And what did he say when Fulham, a team in a division below “enquired into his availability”? He had a contract. He was featuring in pre season.,Potter publicly said that he wanted him... a quick “non” and a Gallic shrug and it all goes away

Last edited:

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I have a lot of love for Knockaert. Emotional, mercurial and very occasionally that comes out as reckless, but sometimes that comes with the territory. I personally don’t feel the need to dissect how good he was at the top level as we will never really know how good he might have been in a different formation / philosophy. I will simply look back with great affection at a guy who was brilliant for this club, but also a genuine human being - just as I do with Chris. After Tony and Dick, they are probably my two favourites in the past 20 years. Chris because of how he carries himself and how proud he made me to say I was a Brighton fan, utter class. And Anthony purely for how flawed and human he was - Bruno, Vincente, Zamora and Murray are all heroes to me of course, but there is something about Knocky. Perhaps it’s that frailty, it makes me feel like I need to protect him.

Anyway, I don’t mind reading threads about Hughton and Knockaert. I hope they both have immeasurable success. I can skip past the ‘I told you so’ posts and just look at the words of encouragement and pride. I’ll watch the montage videos and stare in horror when Chris loses the plot.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
And what did he say when Fulham, a team in a division below “enquired into his availability”? He had a contract. He was featuring in pre season.,Potter publicly said that he wanted him... a quick “non” and a Gallic shrug and it all goes away

I have no knowledge of what has happened this time around

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
How are Fulham (in the Championship) paying players £20-30k a week more than us?
methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F22ca4d8a-4971-11e8-8db5-58268675bbb1.jpg

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have a lot of love for Knockaert. Emotional, mercurial and very occasionally that comes out as reckless, but sometimes that comes with the territory. I personally don’t feel the need to dissect how good he was at the top level as we will never really know how good he might have been in a different formation / philosophy. I will simply look back with great affection at a guy who was brilliant for this club, but also a genuine human being - just as I do with Chris. After Tony and Dick, they are probably my two favourites in the past 20 years. Chris because of how he carries himself and how proud he made me to say I was a Brighton fan, utter class. And Anthony purely for how flawed and human he was - Bruno, Vincente, Zamora and Murray are all heroes to me of course, but there is something about Knocky. Perhaps it’s that frailty, it makes me feel like I need to protect him.

Anyway, I don’t mind reading threads about Hughton and Knockaert. I hope they both have immeasurable success. I can skip past the ‘I told you so’ posts and just look at the words of encouragement and pride. I’ll watch the montage videos and stare in horror when Chris loses the plot.

Agreed, I too don’t mind reading threads about Knockaert or Hughton...

now Ashley Barnes, that’s another matter all together!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Knockaert was the greatest player we've ever had, fast, great football brain, always looked to bring his teammates into play, arguably the best temperament of any footballer past or future. I look forward to hearing just how well he’s doing in the championship because I as many others clearly can see this equates to how well he’ll do in the Prem, even though he was found lacking in his first season in the top flight.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It would have been very easy for him to say a multitude of things to justify this u-turn. He could talk about reassurance s of a first team place. He could say he was managed out. Fact is the most emotional man in football has said nothing, has a massive smile on his face and a fat wallet. Fulham approached us about a first team player in a division above. If he didn’t want to go he could have laughed it off. We never transfer listed him.

Doesn’t that stink of a player wanting out? It seems to me that talk is cheap with Anthony

I am coming around to thinking that this move was AK’s wish having previously thought he would have been pushed. It’s the only way it actually makes any sense imo.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
So some are saying that he may have gone cheap because he was on a highest earner clause here, and you're saying he's got a £20-30k pay rise? How does that work? How are Fulham (in the Championship) paying players £20-30k a week more than us?

And if they are paying a lot more than us, how come we're selling to them on the cheap?

Is the answer,
because Chris Hughton did an amazing job in keeping us up twice on a budget lower than all but one Premier League Club?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is the answer,
because Chris Hughton did an amazing job in keeping us up twice on a budget lower than all but one Premier League Club?
It's a trick question - there's no bloody sensible answer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Several times you've said Potter said he wanted him, so please post the links.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
In a friendly against Oxford?

Wow. Stop the presses. A Championship player does well against a League 1 team in pre-season. Probably adds another 2p to his price tag.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Several times you've said Potter said he wanted him, so please post the links.

He did say that to be fair! I think it was in the Argus, but that could well be to keep a premium price if Fulham have been after him for sometime.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So you have an insight into the reasons he left? Why don't you enlighten us with your profound knowledge then.

Knocky was/is a great player for this club and if fans want to vent their displeasure and lack of understanding why we've let one of our most creative players go, then that's their right.

Knocky was a good player for our club. But still just a player. I support a football club. Those who think players are bigger than clubs can go and wander in the wilderness.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here