Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knightmare?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The timing of McGhee’s sacking (and that’s what it was, despite other comments) looks like an act of desperation by Knight. I don’t know how much influence we on NSC have had (I really hope not much) but I can see another Boardroom bust-up as the main driver.

If that is the case then I wonder how long Knight will be able to control the Board. At the moment he looks like a lame duck at the mercy of the other, more predatory, Board members. If this change of manager doesn’t work out then I can see Knight being forced out by the end of the year. After all, he only controls about 25% of the shares.

I can’t see today’s action as any reason to rejoice or to look confidently to the future – quite the opposite in fact.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Of course, most fans would have been far happier if he hadn't sacked McGhee. He would have got a lot of support for adopting that stance. :shootself

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Jim D said:
The timing of McGhee’s sacking (and that’s what it was, despite other comments) looks like an act of desperation by Knight. I don’t know how much influence we on NSC have had (I really hope not much) but I can see another Boardroom bust-up as the main driver.

If that is the case then I wonder how long Knight will be able to control the Board. At the moment he looks like a lame duck at the mercy of the other, more predatory, Board members. If this change of manager doesn’t work out then I can see Knight being forced out by the end of the year. After all, he only controls about 25% of the shares.

I can’t see today’s action as any reason to rejoice or to look confidently to the future – quite the opposite in fact.

If he didn't still have enough clout, why was he able to persuade the others to keep McGhee in the summer?

Other board members know full well that while Falmer hangs in the balance, to get rid of Knight now would be fool-hardy and totally unnecessary, and play right in the hands of LDC. Remember, without Falmer, the shares that the others hold in BHAFC are not really worth a jot.

Knight is ok for the time being.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I don't see why having Knight as chairman will make us any more likely to get permission for Falmer. After all, we're all being told it's a Government decision.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
knightmare.png

WhereSeagullsFly

Oct 27, 2005
Man of Harveys

What makes you think 'most fans would have been far happier if he hadn't sacked McGhee'?

I know at least a dozen people who have refused to renew their season tickets whilst McGhee was still in charge. I bet the ticket office is busy this morning!

:dance: :dance:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Jim D said:
I don't see why having Knight as chairman will make us any more likely to get permission for Falmer. After all, we're all being told it's a Government decision.

Yes of course it's a government decision, but all the while he is in charge and knows the case inside out and back to front, nobody including the other board members, are going to want to jeopordise their investment.

Nobody at the club is even going to try to force him out until at least the stadium decision is finalised.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I actually think the timing was right.

By giving him pre-season, we had a proper manager in place, pre-paring us in the right way, and looking to get players in.

A change would have meant we had ages not knowing the succesor and not signing anyone and then a replacement wouldn't have had time to prepare properly.

Granted we didn't sign anyone, but we know McGhee had a number of targets, both ambitous/out of our reach and league two/conference players.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Irrespective of what happened to McGhee I think that Knight has come out of this far worse off than when he started. I see this as the beginning of the end for him. He might get lucky with the next manager and buy himself some time, but the next time it goes wrong I can't see him surviving.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
WhereSeagullsFly said:
Man of Harveys

What makes you think 'most fans would have been far happier if he hadn't sacked McGhee'?

Can I veture a guess that he was being sarcastic.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Jim D said:
Irrespective of what happened to McGhee I think that Knight has come out of this far worse off than when he started. I see this as the beginning of the end for him. He might get lucky with the next manager and buy himself some time, but the next time it goes wrong I can't see him surviving.

Managerial appointments have got nothing to do with it. What makes you think the other board members, particularly those with financial clout, won't want a say in who is the next manager?

Anyway, you may be right, by the time the next manager has had chance to succeed or fail, the Falmer decision will be done and dusted one way or the other.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Knight staked a lot on keeping McGhee when many others wanted him sacked in May. Apparently he was still claiming his job was safe recently. Therefore he must have been under a lot of pressure to get rid when he did. If he's prepared to bow to the rest of the Board on this then it will only strengthen their power - and weaken his.

The fans may have won a battle, but it looks like a phyrric victory.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Jim D said:
The fans may have won a battle, but it looks like a phyrric victory.

So that would be Pyrrhic would it?

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Turkey said:
I actually think the timing was right.

Surely the best time to have got shot of him would've been immdiately after the final game of last season?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Surely the best time to have got shot of him would've been immdiately after the final game of last season?

Not at all. We still had player contracts to sort out then.

There's no perfect time. I don't think this is a particularly bad time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here