Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Knee replacement surgery

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Mate I was going to PM you then thought others may benefit fom my reply.

I'm not sure that private is the answer other than as a queue jump. It will be the same surgeons who plough the NHS field in the main. Most of the hospital medics I know (at a Lodon teaching hospital) moonlight at a private gaff.

On NHS, you can persuade his GP to refer him almost anywhere. For example, I had a meniscus repair done locally (Ashford) 12 years ago and was not happy with it. When it went Fairisle again I got my GP surgery (actually it was the physiotherapist practitioner I pressured and he pressured the GP) to refer me to a London hospital (Guy's) where I happen to know the knee boys are top drawer. As you know I went skiing after the last op. I am now due a replacement and will petition to go back to Guy's when the time is up. On the NHS.

Unfortunately the big teaching hospitals normally trump the provinces in avery department so, unless someone can recommend you someone with good reason, I'd hedge my bets and look to London.

My trump card was my insistence I wanted to be active. I think they like the idea that the patient plans to use the product of their efforts, ideally vigorously*, and not simply use it as a place to rest a mug of cocoa, the TV times, or the sleeping cat.

*as an aside, most of my knee damage was done a while ago, in delecto flagrante :facepalm:

Whilst I appreciate your incredibly detailed and informative response, this is the only part I am remotely interested in.
Would you care to elaborate?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I have worn knee pad trousers for years and also use a kneel pad if I’m wearing shorts, but the inside of my right knee is really painful if I kneel sometimes, I have to stand up to straighten it, I hear it pop as it goes back :eek:

One of my hands between the base of the thumb and wrist sometimes hurts, probably because of using tools for so long.

I’m wearing out, plumbing has ruined me :down:
It’s ruining me right now I’m installing an under sink water heater sorted the cold feed now need a flexi hose and a reducer for the hot feed another shank to screwfix ffs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Whilst I appreciate your incredibly detailed and informative response, this is the only part I am remotely interested in.
Would you care to elaborate?

:lolol: :bowdown:

You know exactly what I mean. :drool:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thanks everyone, plenty info here for us to take this further. :bowdown: Another NSC at its best.

I do realise that the same consultants work both NHS and private. I know the top ENT guy, now retired, whose typical day was - Nuffield in the morning, Royal Sussex in the afternoon, with private consulting room work at other times.

The NHS waiting lists are now horrendous post-lockdowns (we also came across this in getting mental health help, as well as acute ENT requirements for my daughter). There may be reluctance to devote resources to an 84 year old for knee surgery?

Great points also about getting the right physio arranged for rehab, we may’ve forgotten about that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here