Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

KLL

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
When he starts we are in a position of not being 100% sure of what to expect from our opponentx so tend to be a little more defensive thus he has defensive duties to perform which somewhat curtail his attacking ability. When he comes on for the last 30 mins we have established our play and he can go hell for leather at the defence without too much to worry about defensively.

For me it is as an impact sub.

Surely our defensive duties are the same for the last 30 minute's as they are for the first hour?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Surely our defensive duties are the same for the last 30 minute's as they are for the first hour?

A) Not really. The flow of games change. Teams score and sit off, teams concede and press on, teams set out to frustrate and keep it tight for the first twenty, silence the crowd, them push on.

B) BG's point wasn't that it changes, but that we don't know what the defensive needs are until the game starts.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not exactly because by then we hope to be on the attack more and pegging them back either to keep a lead or gain one. What you are saying should be but I think human nature makes it slightly different as the clock is ticking away and is more noticeable than when we still have over an hour to play.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Not exactly because by then we hope to be on the attack more and pegging them back either to keep a lead or gain one. What you are saying should be but I think human nature makes it slightly different as the clock is ticking away and is more noticeable than when we still have over an hour to play.

I appreciate the pattern of play has normally been established by the hour mark but the point I'm getting at is unless by then you've already got a decent lead or your a couple of goals down and have to go for it then the defensive duties are not going to change, If you look at the last couple of games it's been 0-0 when he's come on he can't just go hell for leather at the opposition defence without worrying too much about doing his own defensive work as it's a sure way of being hit on the break and losing the game.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
He's an impact sub for me in the most part, his twists and turns and muscular darts of pace more testing for a physically and emotionally worn full-back after 60 minutes. I wouldn't be averse for him to get his full run-out on Saturday and have a bit of fun with the premier leaguers, but my memory of his history in first halfs are ones in which the closed-downness of him and lack of space in such times hinders him a bit.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He deserves to start. Let the 2 or 3 opposing defenders worry about him from the start. Good that, according to the Argus, he WANTS to start.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I wouldn't tie him to one specific role or another. With March, D-Rod and Buckley we have the pace we were sorely missing earlier in the season. I'd keep the opposition guessing as to what we're up to.

A good example of this was on Tuesday night as pointed out by [MENTION=238]Uncle Buck[/MENTION] in the bar after. KLL was getting triple teamed so we brought on Buckley and Leeds had to think again.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
He deserves to start. Let the 2 or 3 opposing defenders worry about him from the start. Good that, according to the Argus, he WANTS to start.

Should the manager be beholden to the desires of the players? If OG thinks for (I'd imagine) a number of reasons that Kaz ia currently better used as a sub I'm not going to question his judgement. He's far better qualified to manage a Championship side thatn me.

With March / Rodriguez / Buckley / Lua Lua all able to play wide with pace I'm sure we'll see some variations before the season ends.

Kaz needs to be patient.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I'm sure somebody will quickly jump on me if I'm wrong but I believe Kaz himself has expressed his disappointment / frustration at not being able to start more games. But no matter how much he wants to start, his dodgy pegs just don't allow it. We just need to be grateful, and enjoy, those minutes that he can play.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Must start our next game!

Disagree, to me this is evidence he is most effective when he comes on against tiring defences. I don't believe he'd have had the same impact for 90 minutes had he started.

He's an impact sub for me in the most part, his twists and turns and muscular darts of pace more testing for a physically and emotionally worn full-back after 60 minutes. I wouldn't be averse for him to get his full run-out on Saturday and have a bit of fun with the premier leaguers, but my memory of his history in first halfs are ones in which the closed-downness of him and lack of space in such times hinders him a bit.

He is going to be a bit knackered by Monday if he starts running on Saturday.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think the treatment of Lua Lua has been perverse under Poyet and Garcia. He is consistently the most dangerous player and yet has hardly ever started a game. He will get fed up and leave I suspect and who could blame him. A football career is short enough anyway without capricious treatment from managers

That's not what he thinks apparently. As a spectator I want to see him play not some journeyman midfielder

Hi Kaz!!! :bigwave:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Should the manager be beholden to the desires of the players? If OG thinks for (I'd imagine) a number of reasons that Kaz ia currently better used as a sub I'm not going to question his judgement. He's far better qualified to manage a Championship side thatn me.

With March / Rodriguez / Buckley / Lua Lua all able to play wide with pace I'm sure we'll see some variations before the season ends.

Kaz needs to be patient.

I just said I was pleased to see he WANTS to play. Didn't mention how Oscar should react to this info, did I!?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I just said I was pleased to see he WANTS to play. Didn't mention how Oscar should react to this info, did I!?

I was replying to your comment that he 'deserves to start' - which I don't think is necessarily true - or no more valid for him than 15 or 16 other players.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I was replying to your comment that he 'deserves to start' - which I don't think is necessarily true - or no more valid for him than 15 or 16 other players.

Well, that's my opinion. When he did get starts, he played well. Not sure we have the luxury to ignore that.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Kaz starting:
P8 W2 (25%) D4 (50%) L2 (25%)
Ave nsc rating 6.98

Kaz Sub:
P14 W8 (57%) D2 (14%) L4 (29%)
Ave NSC rating 6.21

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Kaz starting:
P8 W2 (25%) D4 (50%) L2 (25%)
Ave nsc rating 6.98

Kaz Sub:
P14 W8 (57%) D2 (14%) L4 (29%)
Ave NSC rating 6.21

Hmmm. Great tho those stats are, not sure any of them can be relied upon in an argument regarding Kaz starting versus coming off the bench.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here