Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Kitchen flooring

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Hi NSC

I'm after some advice having just had a protracted issue with getting some flooring laid in our kitchen-diner.
I know there are a few flooring experts on here so hopefully you can come up with something helpful..

We decided to refresh the flooring in our house.
Having had a couple of local companies come to measure up and never come back to us with a price.
I went to Carpetright to see if they could help us.

We selected various flooring for the house and booked an estimation,

The estimator was here for an hour or so doing a pretty thorough job.

We have an area of the kitchen which has ceramic tiles on the floor and the rest of the floor is laminate.
He explained that the LVT we had chosen, would have to be laid on top of the ceramic tiles and the remaining area built up to meet the same level.
Any slight discrepancy in height would be covered by a separator bar between the two areas.
We are also having LVT in the lounge so the areas would probably have to be brought up in both rooms.

Not ideal, but agreed to it and when the estimate came through, negotiated a bit on price and eventually signed the finance agreement.

The fitting date was booked and I duly disconnected all the appliances and cleared the rooms so the fitters would have a good run at the job.

On the day the fitter turned up and informed me that he would be unable to meet the requirements of the job, as the amount of building up for the is too much.
Several other issues with the plan he had been given meant that he was unable to proceed, but what was required is "a builder's job".

Much to-ing an fro-ing with Carpetright then occurred.
In the end, I explained that I'm happy for them to re-estimate the job, but wanted a decent job and not some lash up.
A few day's later Carpetright's fitters say they are unable to do the job and not being offered any alternative, I have requested they cancel the order.

Pretty irritating.

Now for the advice bit...

I need to look elsewhere to get this done.
If I'm getting builders in, i would rather they took the tiles up as well and levelled the whole floor off and laid the LVT, at one level throughout kitchen/diner/lounge.

Is this a foolhardy approach?
If not, how much extra effort/cost are we talking about?

Are there any better approaches?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Genuinely sounds like they can't be bothered! Removing the tiles would be preferable and laying a self leveling compound or simple chipboard can make the floor level, it would depend on how high the different levels are. It's a Pfaff but not beyond anyone. Tell them to stop taking the piss or naff off.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Genuinely sounds like they can't be bothered! Removing the tiles would be preferable and laying a self leveling compound or simple chipboard can make the floor level, it would depend on how high the different levels are. It's a Pfaff but not beyond anyone. Tell them to stop taking the piss or naff off.

Thanks.

the only difference in height is the tiles themselves.
I guess about 5-8mm

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Hi NSC

I'm after some advice having just had a protracted issue with getting some flooring laid in our kitchen-diner.
I know there are a few flooring experts on here so hopefully you can come up with something helpful..

We decided to refresh the flooring in our house.
Having had a couple of local companies come to measure up and never come back to us with a price.
I went to Carpetright to see if they could help us.

We selected various flooring for the house and booked an estimation,

The estimator was here for an hour or so doing a pretty thorough job.

We have an area of the kitchen which has ceramic tiles on the floor and the rest of the floor is laminate.
He explained that the LVT we had chosen, would have to be laid on top of the ceramic tiles and the remaining area built up to meet the same level.
Any slight discrepancy in height would be covered by a separator bar between the two areas.
We are also having LVT in the lounge so the areas would probably have to be brought up in both rooms.

Not ideal, but agreed to it and when the estimate came through, negotiated a bit on price and eventually signed the finance agreement.

The fitting date was booked and I duly disconnected all the appliances and cleared the rooms so the fitters would have a good run at the job.

On the day the fitter turned up and informed me that he would be unable to meet the requirements of the job, as the amount of building up for the is too much.
Several other issues with the plan he had been given meant that he was unable to proceed, but what was required is "a builder's job".

Much to-ing an fro-ing with Carpetright then occurred.
In the end, I explained that I'm happy for them to re-estimate the job, but wanted a decent job and not some lash up.
A few day's later Carpetright's fitters say they are unable to do the job and not being offered any alternative, I have requested they cancel the order.

Pretty irritating.

Now for the advice bit...

I need to look elsewhere to get this done.
If I'm getting builders in, i would rather they took the tiles up as well and levelled the whole floor off and laid the LVT, at one level throughout kitchen/diner/lounge.

Is this a foolhardy approach?
If not, how much extra effort/cost are we talking about?

Are there any better approaches?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

i'm assuming you were going to get the tiles screeded over then lay the vinyl on top which is par for the course , you can get mdf ramps up to any thresholds that are high .....franchises will be struggling for guys now as their prices are less for the installer so most installers are going direct with customers such as yourself.....google Smart Flooring , worthing area , sorry if this is of no help.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Just remove the tiles and if the floor is uneven a simple screed or a layer of hardboard would be fine. Try trusted trader or the equivalent. Ask at an independent flooring shop.

no need to remove tiles with modern products mate , i';d imagine you would pay 15-20 quid a sqmtr nd its a very messy process.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here