Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] King Danny Dyer

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Plus.... my ancestor officially found and returned his body to London, giving us freedom of the New Forest in perpetuity...
According to family legend.....
Not sure if that gives me the right to hurd sheep through it though?
That sounds a bit like the island off Scotland that my family are supposed to own and the children get an inheritance when they reach 21. My dad got a payout but nobody has since and he can’t remember much about it now he is pushing 90 ???:lolol:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Thought it would be awful, put my prejudices to one side and watched it. GREAT stuff and all done tongue in cheek too.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
That sounds a bit like the island off Scotland that my family are supposed to own and the children get an inheritance when they reach 21. My dad got a payout but nobody has since and he can’t remember much about it now he is pushing 90 ???:lolol:

I’d chase it up you never know.... maybe I could sell licenses to hunt Venison and you get fishing right.... let’s open a restaurant ��

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Oh God, for so many reasons, which build on each other. But since you ask...

1.) Dyer is an individual without particular virtues that I can discern.

2). He is an actor whose stock-in-trade is portrayal of and also reinforcement of stereotypical grisly male types...

3). ..types whose promulgation supports the BBC's social engineering policy of demonising masculinity so as to "femstroy" "gender-normalcy"

4). OK Maybe the programme hits some 'Horrible History' buttons... I don't agree (because HH is quite elegantly wrought by experts) but even if it were, put it on CBBC - but NO! I wouldn't want this crap poisoning my kids.

5). I pay for this crap, and the only alternative for me is to commit a crime by non-payment of my licence fee. Take away the licence fee and I couldn't care less what the BBC produces, let them die the death as their viewers renounce their supra-PC politics and flood to Netflix.

6). I discern a disgracefully toxic thread in BBC policy of putting up men in male roles who are ignorant/weedy/incompetent/desperate/weak/frothy etc etc. I refer you to my points 2 & 3.

It stinks.

So to draw together these points here, the BBC's apparatchiks are attacking masculinity, they are attacking men and if you are a (non LBGTetc) male they are attacking YOU, lessening your ability to stand up as a good, virtuous dude.

And Dyer's loud, ignorant persona as shown in this programme plays perfectly into their egregious narrative.

Oh, and PS 7). BBC is capable of doing bloody amazing things with history for all ages, where is the virtue in this dismal programming?

Back at you Lawro's left foot!

I find Michael McIntyre way more offensive.

I think it was a great prog. Very tongue-in-cheek. I like Dyer. No pretence. Just a pantomime Cockney.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hard evidence?

There are over 8 million children in schools in the UK.

So, to be in anyway statistically valid, you need a decent sample size of kids. Let's say 1% as a low base.

So, you're telling me that the 80,000 children you have sired and sent off to schools have all come home for their tea in the evening and told you that all they've learned at school is something about WW1 and how rotten Britain was during the slave trade?

No, I thought not.

It's not hard evidence. It's a one-off story.
It is hard evidence. What it is not is a representative survey, which I never said it was. You are confusing the two.

" So, you're telling me that the 80,000 children you have sired and sent off to schools have all come home for their tea in the evening and told you that all they've learned at school is something about WW1 and how rotten Britain was during the slave trade?"

You may consider sarcasm to be your forte, but that is one of the stupidest things I've seen on here for a long time! :facepalm:

Teachers and education experts can say what they like, but the general level of knowledge of our history in this country is appalling. Anyway, I'm bored with this pointless discussion now. Hopefully future generations will have a better knowledge of their history, but sadly I frankly doubt it.

:shrug:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
It is a standing joke in our house that Danny Dyer's daughter is called Dani Dyer. I don't really understand why it is funny, but each time someone says 'Danny Dyer's daughter is called Dani Dyer' there is much hilarity.

On that basis, "Danny Dyer's Daughter Dani Dyer's Dad is called Danny Dyer" might also raise a bit of a titter in your house. You could always save it for when you think the original joke is wearing a bit thin but I realise that might be a while to come.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Tuned in half expecting it to be painful but really enjoyed it.

In basic terms if you like Danny Dyer, which I do, then you'll enjoy it, if you don't you won't.

Not a bad way to teach history to a few people, albeit I can see why some are not happy at the dumb downness of it. But if that is what is needed to educate people then that's fine with me.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I've always thought he overplays the common accent in his performances like the annoying Joe Swash, but it was a half decent watch last night, especially after eating crap and having to chunder, which required no acting style at all.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
These made up portmanteau words really grate, especially when, like this one, they don't even work. Google tells me that destroy's deriviation is apparently from the Latin word 'struere' meaning to build or assemble. Adding the 'de' makes it 'un-build' or 'un-assemble'. Adding the 'fem', instead of the 'de' presumably to indicate feminism doesn't make a word that means destroyed by feminism, it makes a word that would indicate the opposite: 'built by feminism'. It's the same mistake as adding 'lexsic' on the end of words to try to indicate an inability to do something. 'lexsic' is the part of 'dyslexic' that refers to reading and writing, not to inability, so 'maths-lexia' means 'maths-writing', not 'can't do maths'.

It’s also completely made up, google the word and this thread comes up along with, rather strangely, a load of Russian language websites ???

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Tuned in half expecting it to be painful but really enjoyed it.

In basic terms if you like Danny Dyer, which I do, then you'll enjoy it, if you don't you won't.

Not a bad way to teach history to a few people, albeit I can see why some are not happy at the dumb downness of it. But if that is what is needed to educate people then that's fine with me.

As someone that took Geography instead of History at school then I found it really interesting, to a proper historian of course this is dumbed down but I guess they are not the target audience. For a novice like me I really enjoyed it.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
...... because I think that the last thing we need to be doing is encouraging people to consume film content in their homes (most likely surrounded by second screens), rather than seeing cinema as a social exercise. Just my feeling that this encourages an isolated society. Thoughts on that?

I've never particularly regarded sitting in a darkened room full of strangers in total silence all of whom are focusing their attention intently on a lit up screen, sensorially deprived of the presence of all the other people surrounding them is particularly conducive to social interaction.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I've never particularly regarded sitting in a darkened room full of strangers in total silence all of whom are focusing their attention intently on a lit up screen, sensorially deprived of the presence of all the other people surrounding them is particularly conducive to social interaction.

Agreed, but I think the act of getting up of ones back side; travelling to another location; seeing the world unfold along the way; perhaps attending with friends and seeing other human beings in the process, is part and parcel of keeping society connected.

Once in the cinema and with the lights down, then everyone can shut the f*ck up! Especially that annoying tw@t with the packet of popcorn!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Agreed, but I think the act of getting up of ones back side; travelling to another location; seeing the world unfold along the way; perhaps attending with friends and seeing other human beings in the process, is part and parcel of keeping society connected.

Once in the cinema and with the lights down, then everyone can shut the f*ck up! Especially that annoying tw@t with the packet of popcorn!
But isn't that called "going to the pub"? [emoji23]

I only ever bother with the pictures for Star Wars films nowadays. Prefer to watch everything else in the comfort of my home.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Looks like he's still got a huge cocaine problem.

His upper body looked stiffened, rubbing his nose constantly and the way he tightly held his National Television award on Tuesday night were all signs he's still got a massive problem.

He's 41. Isn't it time he grew up and knocked that stuff on the head? There won't be a happy ending.

(for those of you with long memories I'm now six years clean. Life's circumstances have changed hugely for me with my health).

maybe he just gets on it at social occasions. Doesn't mean its a problem does it

Some people can do this

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What's the show called? Can't see anything on catch up

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Going back to the "King" thing...

Given the number of generations involved and the population of the country in olden days, plus naughty goings-on, chances are most people on NSC have direct royal ancestors.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here