Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kindle v Ipad Mini??

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I love my Kindle Fire HD - does everything I need including superb quality seagulls player

I can't seem to get seagulls player or work out the downloading of flash (which version?!) Other annoying thing is no sky player on kindle yet. Love mine tho soooo cheap...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I can't seem to get seagulls player or work out the downloading of flash (which version?!) Other annoying thing is no sky player on kindle yet. Love mine tho soooo cheap...

Its fairly easy, you have to download ES file explorer then dolphin browser hd and then flash. There are plenty of online demos, I'll try and remember to post a link in the morning.

No sky player yet, might take a while for that I think.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
If you just want reading and already have an iPad then get a Kindle, probably the paperwhite.

Thee-ink screen is a lot easier on the eye than a tablet screen, and the battery lasts for yonks. Most tablets will not last you through an airport and a long haul flight unless you can pinch some power en route.

exactly this.

If you are interested in getting something for reading books, get a kindle. I have had mine since last summer. I can count the times I have recharged it on one hand. As easy on the eye as paper.

One thing though, when you said about not keeping the wife awake, did you mean by reading with the light off. That won't work with a kindle, it's like paper. You need a light to read it.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I've had a kindle since it came out however many years ago that was - got it imported from the States and its always been bloody wonderful. I'm seriously considering getting the paper white now though. If you do get one I would very seriously consider paying the extra and getting the 3G one - it's so handy being able to download books on the go at the beach/airport/train/ whatever without having to find a wi fi outlet. I think it's £60 extra and, I believe, well worth it

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If you just want reading and already have an iPad then get a Kindle, probably the paperwhite.

Thee-ink screen is a lot easier on the eye than a tablet screen, and the battery lasts for yonks. Most tablets will not last you through an airport and a long haul flight unless you can pinch some power en route.

Totally agree. I have an ipad but still prefer my Kindle for reading and it hardly ever needs charging.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
exactly this.

If you are interested in getting something for reading books, get a kindle. I have had mine since last summer. I can count the times I have recharged it on one hand. As easy on the eye as paper.

One thing though, when you said about not keeping the wife awake, did you mean by reading with the light off. That won't work with a kindle, it's like paper. You need a light to read it.

Kindle Paperwhite is backlit. It just glows.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
For reading kindle beats everything hands down.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

You need to follow this guide and it works fine.

Do the following on the Fire/Fire HD itself:

Swipe down from the top > More > Device > Allow Installation of Applications.

Install ES File Explorer: ES File Explorer

Download and install the Dolphin HD and Flash Player apk files from this link:

--https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9d8gxh75f0747f1/83fV5m6x2c (ignore first two dashes, had to put these in to stop NSC changing it to a link)

Once both files are downloaded to your Fire, open ES File Explorer and look in the "Downloads" folder. You should see both files there. Install Dolphin HD *first* by tapping on the icon. Then Install Flash.

I found I had to type the dropbox address into the web broswer as I couldn't cut and paste it, took me a couple of goes to type it right. ES File Explorer is in that link as well. Once its done just open the Dolphin Brower from the apps menu and go to the seagull player website.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You need to follow this guide and it works fine.

I found I had to type the dropbox address into the web broswer as I couldn't cut and paste it, took me a couple of goes to type it right. ES File Explorer is in that link as well. Once its done just open the Dolphin Brower from the apps menu and go to the seagull player website.

Thanks mate!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Used to love my Kindle, but now I've got an iPad 3 I never touch the Kindle any more. I'm not going to carry both. The only reason to go back to the Kindle would be if I definitely only wanted to read somewhere and I couldn't recharge my iPad. The Kindle is lighter for reading, but it's never bothered me so far on the iPad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here