Living In a Box
Going to buy an iPad Mini shortly, looks fabulous

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's amazing that people proclaim the 'openness' of Android compared to the evil 'walled garden' of iOS by Apple who are hell-bent on telling you what you can and can't do, and all it seems to mean is that users can make a few cosmetic changes to a launcher on Android. Big bloody deal!

wigangull

Jul 19, 2013
Wigan Lancs
It's amazing that people proclaim the 'openness' of Android compared to the evil 'walled garden' of iOS by Apple who are hell-bent on telling you what you can and can't do, and all it seems to mean is that users can make a few cosmetic changes to a launcher on Android. Big bloody deal!

I've got a Google Nexus7 32gb great value for music or book etc.Ok in the sun more responsive than most tablets.It's like all new
purchases,do your homework, ask around as your doing now.But for me this nexus is the dogs watsit spunk:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Err, if you think that people are claiming anything other than a less restrictive ecosystem or ability to put whatever one wishes onto their phone or tablet then you are surely mistaken. Strange as it may seem, many millions of people like more control over the devices they own. It's fine that you aren't bothered. But yes, if you thought they meant their phone would take them time traveling, make the dinner or change them into a Hollywood movie star, then you'd be right to be so outraged.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Make sure you know what you are getting - a Kindle Fire is a tablet, not an e-reader. Don't buy one thinking its a better or more enhanced version of the regular Kindle - its a different thing altogether. You can of course read e-books on it the same as you can read them on an IPad or something - but they have the downside of being a back-lit tablet that is difficult in sunlight and has a battery life of hours instead of weeks/months. If you want something to read books on, go for the original Kindle or the paperwhite, that uses a totally different screen technology. Just like a book, the brighter the light, the easier you see it. In my humble opinion, the original £70 kindle is the best. You change pages with the button on the side not by touch screen (and resultant fingerprints) - it just works best. The enhanced model of this is the paperwhite, which uses the same e-ink technology but the screen is white instead of grey. Not worth the extra 30 quid.

Make sure you know what you are getting - a Kindle Fire is a tablet, not an e-reader. Don't buy one thinking its a better or more enhanced version of the regular Kindle - its a different thing altogether. You can of course read e-books on it the same as you can read them on an IPad or something - but they have the downside of being a back-lit tablet that is difficult in sunlight and has a battery life of hours instead of weeks/months. If you want something to read books on, go for the original Kindle or the paperwhite, that uses a totally different screen technology. Just like a book, the brighter the light, the easier you see it. In my humble opinion, the original £70 kindle is the best. You change pages with the button on the side not by touch screen (and resultant fingerprints) - it just works best. The enhanced model of this is the paperwhite, which uses the same e-ink technology but the screen is white instead of grey. Not worth the extra 30 quid.
Apart from the proviso about battery life, I don't agree. I've got both an original Kindle and a Kindle Fire HD. The reading experience on the Kindle Fire is much better.

I deal with the battery life issue by routine overnight recharging.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Apart from the proviso about battery life, I don't agree. I've got both an original Kindle and a Kindle Fire HD. The reading experience on the Kindle Fire is much better.

I deal with the battery life issue by routine overnight recharging.

Why is it better? Personally although I love my tablet, the non backlit kindle is much kinder on my eyes.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Yeah - each to their own I guess. I left my original on a train and borrowed the wifes kindle fire. I hated it. Its heavy as a brick too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports