Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think there is a real risk that we start crowing about Tony and Barber a bit too much on this one.
At the end of the day, if we get McKenna, he is still just an unproven young manager.
This + he wants to go to Man u not us - distinctly underwhelmed at the possibility of having him as our manager.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Whoever told you had dodgy info.
Laugh all you want but remember who called potter on this board. And I've just spent the last 3 days boozing with the brother of the former Ajax CEO, farioli took a while to agree package but there was no hint of him talking to other parties.

Btw Ajax fans that I hang about with NOT happy with this appointment.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Laugh all you want but remember who called potter on this board. And I've just spent the last 3 days boozing with the brother of the former Ajax CEO, farioli took a while to agree package but there was no hint of him talking to other parties.

Btw Ajax fans that I hang about with NOT happy with this appointment.
Same ones who said Veltman was terrible ?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This.

And as great a success as the L1 to championship runners up/ PL promotion is, he's only just done the same as Nigel Adkins. How did it work out for him!
He had convinced himself he had won the league 1 title the arrogance of the man 🤣
This + he wants to go to Man u not us - distinctly underwhelmed at the possibility of having him as our manager.
We have players older than him, we shouldn’t have but we do.

huzzah

Sep 8, 2023
Same ones who said Veltman was terrible ?
I don't know @dwayne, I often find myself tutting under my breath at his posts, however, on this he is correct. Lots of Ajax fans thought Veltman had big mistakes in him, he'd gathered a reputation for unnecessary sendings off and high profile errors, and a few told me they were glad to have off loaded him.

I am glad that the reputation did not match the statistics. Joël is one of my favourite players.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Doesn’t matter, most managers with career aspirations will want to go to a ManUtd whether it’s stated or not. If he comes to us only thing that gets him that job is being successful - and that would be fine by me.

Flip side is, you get a relative unknown who turns up, turbo charges your team, brings success then pisses off anyway less than 2 full seasons in, no job offer on the table, just because he’s not happy with transfers.

So whoever you bring in, who knows how long it will last. I’d rather a manager ended up leaving for a top club, CL football and a bundle of cash than just having a sulk over transfer policy.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Doesn’t matter, most managers with career aspirations will want to go to a ManUtd whether it’s stated or not. If he comes to us only thing that gets him that job is being successful - and that would be fine by me.

Flip side is, you get a relative unknown who turns up, turbo charges your team, brings success then pisses off anyway less than 2 full seasons in, no job offer on the table, just because he’s not happy with transfers.

So whoever you bring in, who knows how long it will last. I’d rather a manager ended up leaving for a top club, CL football and a bundle of cash than just having a sulk over transfer policy.

What if Bloom appointed himself as manager? ???

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Not convinced he’s right. I have no idea whether he wants to be here or not, but I’d rather appoint a coach who 100% buys into the ethos of the project and is not driven to ‘coach at the highest’ level, which is words for ‘just go to a team with the biggest transfer budget.’

However, this great article in NY Times lays out why he should choose us.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I have similar views about Potter and RDZ. When Potter left I was disappointed (understatement!) because of the nature of his departure. Fair enough, he was offered on the face of it, better wages and prospects of greater success than Brighton could offer. It’s the same scenario in any form of employment - you are head hunted by a bigger company with more prospects of advancement which most of us would take. It seems to be only in football that fans froth at the mouth at this ‘betrayal’.

I was also saddened by De Zerbi’s departure because he was responsible for the most incredible football played by the Albion in their history. The problem though was that he seemed not to be able to adapt to a different strategy (Plan B) when it was necessary. A stubbornness on his part that ultimately led to his leaving. So when his exit was announced I was surprised rather than shocked. I truly wish him well in whatever venture he pursues.

How would I feel if Potter returned? A bit ambivalent I suppose. He would have to prove himself and be successful very quickly to win the fans over. For me, a cautious welcome but definitely not a full scale booing and feeling of acrimony that some on here feel is necessary.
Spot on. A voice of reason amongst a load of nonsense.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
RDZ
PL W 12
FA cup W 3
Europa W 5

Barely won a game since 14th August when Caicedo rocked off?
well, it was intended as a mildly amusing retort. But stats-wise RDZ won 12 of 38 league games after Caicedo left, or 31%, whereas Potter won 7 of 30 league games in the season prior to Caicedo's debut, or 23% ( with Connolly, Maupay and Locadia as striking 'options'). With Caicedo Potter won 9 of 14 league games, or 64%, and RDZ won 14 of 32, or 44%. Overall over three seasons we had a 50% league winning percentage with Caicedo available* and 28% win percentage without.

Good player that.

* He actually missed 1 of those 46 league games (42 starts, 3 sub) but I can't be arsed to work out which one

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
We all know he wants Man U, but if they go with more experienced coach my hunch is he won't come here, he'll just use all the speculation to drive up his contract offer at Ipswich, sign and say he always wanted to stay.

Jimmy Grimble

well, it was intended as a mildly amusing retort. But stats-wise RDZ won 12 of 38 league games after Caicedo left, or 31%, whereas Potter won 7 of 30 league games in the season prior to Caicedo's debut, or 23% ( with Connolly, Maupay and Locadia as striking 'options'). With Caicedo Potter won 9 of 14 league games, or 64%, and RDZ won 14 of 32, or 44%. Overall over three seasons we had a 50% league winning percentage with Caicedo available* and 28% win percentage without.

Good player that.

* He actually missed 1 of those 46 league games (45 starts, 3 sub) but I can't be arsed to work out which one
Caicedo must comfortably have the highest win percentage of any Brighton player since we’ve been in the PL (based purely on playing for us). I’d guess Mitoma might be the next closest?

Some might say it’s a crude way of looking at it but I think it does partially show that whoever you have in charge (as long as they’re not awful), it’s ultimately the quality of individual players which makes the difference. The vast majority of modern managers can develop effective game plans if they have quality players at their disposal.

I’ve said it previously on here but it’s why I’m less worried about who ends up being manager and more worried about the 4/5 first team players we need to sign. You could put Pep/Klopp/Alonso in charge of our current squad and the best they’d achieve is top 10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here