Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I'd much rather have Potter than McKenna at the moment. My logic being I think Potter would stay here long term with a point to prove, but McKenna will be gone again in 1-2 years time.
Potter could hardly win a game until Caceido rocked up and controlled the tempo. I said at the time when Chelsea came calling Caceido got him that job not the genius of Potter.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We will get him for a season, then if he does well, he'l be looking for bigger fish and we start this all over again.
Forget mckenna and get someone like cooper, corbaran, or the nutcase from Sweden, just someone who would appreciate the job for maybe 2 years lol.
I disagree with that. I think he really wants Man Utd. If he continues his form from Ipswich, he’ll leave his next club when a vacancy at Old Trafford arrives which could be next season or perhaps a lot longer.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Kompany has a footballing pedigree, which means he will be able to handle dressing room egos.
He's proven he's committed to a style of play.
But most importantly.... No one else wants the Bayern job.

Mc Kenna has taken a League 1 squad up 2 divisions in 2 seasons.
They spent £5m on transfer fees and use loans to bolster the squad.
Every chance Ipswich get torn apart each week next season.
If that happens McKenna gets viewed as next season's Rob Edwards and chances for a big job evaporate.

It's possible he's the greatest coach of all time and he can get Ipswich playing amazing football in the Prem.
But it's more likely that he could do that a lot easier with us.
It’s all about quality of the squad in the PL. Pep probably wouldn’t have got a better tune out of Burnley or Luton.
It’s why we suffered last season take out the quality and look what happens. All this plan B rubbish is just that.
Do City start going long and playing like big Sam would do when they are losing? It’s all nonsense.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
So, to summarise:

We think McKenna is a preferred option, but McKenna may have been in the running for the Chelsea, Manchester United and Brighton jobs. Chelsea/McKenna contact suggests a gap in respective visions, with McKenna no longer in running.

Manchester United are going to take their time to review their season, and then decide whether a manager who has never managed a single minute of top flight football is the right person to replace the manager who has won them silverware this season, and to put up against Pep Guardiola in their battle for supremacy in Manchester.

Finally, while Ipswich are patient, there’s going to come a point where they want to plan for next season too.

An interesting situation. If Manchester United offer him the job I think he has to take it, but I’d seriously question the decision making at United if they do. It’s not the right stage of his career unless Manchester United fans are ready for another five year rebuild, and they’re not, even if the club hierarchy are.
Of course he would pick Manchester United over us. Very few wouldn't.

But yeah, questioning the decision making at Manchester United is a good call. Billion pound turnover, 1000 employees, many months to plan different outcomes and ideas... and yet they clearly didn't have a clue what to do if City would have a bad day and lose the FA Cup final. Basket case club. Funny how we're looking at them like "hmm, what are they going to do?" when it is pretty clear they have no idea. Could see it dragging on for another week or two.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
It’s all about quality of the squad in the PL. Pep probably wouldn’t have got a better tune out of Burnley or Luton.
It’s why we suffered last season take out the quality and look what happens. All this plan B rubbish is just that.
Do City start going long and playing like big Sam would do when they are losing? It’s all nonsense.
Correct there is no plan B. There is an evolution of plan A

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
whoever we get , if they perform well and get us back into Europe, decent cup runs then the bigger clubs will always be sniffing around. Thats the nature of ther beast
In a time when the average time a manager stays in a job is under two seasons then the three managers we have had since Hughton was appointed shows , despite some perception that no one stays here, we keep managers longer tham the majority of clubs, any "tier two" clubs are in a similar position- start upsetting the big boys regularly and they will come after your top players, managers, coaches, and in Chelseas case, the tea person

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Increasingly looking like Tony & Paul beat everyone.
Again.
They were probably well aware neither United nor Chelsea would have the balls to actually appoint this guy in the end. But I'm guessing we'll have a few more days of confusion and quick turns so we'll see.
I think there is a real risk that we start crowing about Tony and Barber a bit too much on this one.
At the end of the day, if we get McKenna, he is still just an unproven young manager.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Wasn't it said that any manager is potentially 6 games from the sack? That is especially so in these times. McKenna needs to move on from Ipswich, the Premier League is now a graveyard for promoted clubs.

He sounds very promising. My main concern is that as a manager he seems only to have tasted success. What will be be like in adversity for sure as night follows day he will surely meet some in the PL.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
whoever we get , if they perform well and get us back into Europe, decent cup runs then the bigger clubs will always be sniffing around. Thats the nature of ther beast
In a time when the average time a manager stays in a job is under two seasons then the three managers we have had since Hughton was appointed shows , despite some perception that no one stays here, we keep managers longer tham the majority of clubs, any "tier two" clubs are in a similar position- start upsetting the big boys regularly and they will come after your top players, managers, coaches, and in Chelseas case, the tea person
Indeed. TB & Barber are actively after managers who will be targets for the Big Six in a year or two, NOT managers who want to stay here long term.

Why?

The chance of top 6 and Europe along with amazing football.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Kieran McKenna is no longer in contention to become Chelsea’s manager.

The 38-year-old Ipswich boss is no longer part of the multiple-candidate process amid interest from Manchester United and Brighton.

Ipswich also want to keep hold of McKenna and are expected to offer him a new contract – although he is unlikely to renew his deal.

Chelsea have spoken to multiple candidates, including former Brighton manager Roberto De Zerbi, Leicester’s Enzo Maresca and Brentford’s Thomas Frank.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
According to a lot of reputable sources, he does seem to be the preferred candidate for United.
In saying that ive read its either Tuchel or Poch (which would for more sense in the size of club and previous experience of manager).

This Chelsea article citing Ornstein saying they've ruled out McKenna?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I think there is a real risk that we start crowing about Tony and Barber a bit too much on this one.
At the end of the day, if we get McKenna, he is still just an unproven young manager.
This.

And as great a success as the L1 to championship runners up/ PL promotion is, he's only just done the same as Nigel Adkins. How did it work out for him!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Likewise appointing Roberto, we were warned he would score loads of goals and concede loads of goals. Which was correct apart from this season when we just conceded loads 😂

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In saying that ive read its either Tuchel or Poch (which would for more sense in the size of club and previous experience of manager).

This Chelsea article citing Ornstein saying they've ruled out McKenna?

Following on from that article -

Particularly liked this comment: "He didn’t fall out publicly with Brighton owner Tony Bloom, but there’s a reason he’s not their coach any more."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here