[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I’m beginning to not care.

But - when do we think things should be done by? I got the impression from RDZ’s departure there was a done deal just waiting to happen. I guess there wasn’t.

So when do we need a manger by? Next week? Before the Euros? Before we go to Japan?

The next couple of weeks max, I'd say. If you look at the last few appointments, the average is about 7-8 days after the previous manager departed.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

But - when do we think things should be done by? I got the impression from RDZ’s departure there was a done deal just waiting to happen. I guess there wasn’t.

So when do we need a manger by? Next week? Before the Euros? Before we go to Japan?
this is a good point and one worth discussing. i would certainly say the absolute latest should be before we go to japan, it would be a complete joke to go there without a manager, but ideally it’ll be wrapped up by end of next week.

obviously it helps to a degree that our managers don’t have a huge say in transfer policy, so we can get on with some signings whilst we wait to appoint a manager, but even then any new manager coming in may have particular targets that could also fit the club algorithm, or may need a specific position bought to suit their system. so really the longer it goes on the more delayed our summer plans become.

that being said, it’s only been a week since the season finished, so i’m not concerned yet, and we really do need to get the next appointment right or else next season will be very grim. the only concerning part is that it seems like we may well have missed out on the clear number one choice, when it looked like a pretty decisive move to let RDZ go and get mckenna in. so hopefully someone else decent is lined up, because as much as i’ve said i’d be open to potter returning, the more i think about it, the more ways i imagine it going horribly wrong

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
McKenna is surprisingly ( in my view) favourite with some bookies for the Man United job.
In terms of timing i think Chelsea will move first and I expect they will go for De Zerbi.
Then it’s going to take United at least a week to decide on who takes over from ETH.
If they go for Poch, then we have a chance of McKenna, although I expect he desperately wants the United job and I do wonder if he doesn’t get it whether he’ll opt to stay at Ipswich.
If they go for McKenna, who I think they had lined up, before the Poch sacking, then we better move quickly and have a good contingency plan.
At least we have some time and I hope it’s a better option than Glow Up. If Chelsea go for De Zerbi then would Maresca be an option?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
The players are on holiday, the recruitment team are beavering away. No urgency.
If I’m a player, irrespective of the PL hyperbole and the money etc. I want to know who I’m going to be playing for… a youth/dev squad option, yep that’s a different prospect… but first team …

(Somewhere in Bulgaria)

“Brighton are interested…”

“Who’s the coach…?”

“Well depending on your preference for fantasy vs reality, anyone from Graham Potter, Xavi or some bloke called McKenna… to Pele, the Arch Bishop of Canterbury or even Noel Edmunds…”

“Hmmmmmm”

“i’m not signing until I know it’s Edmunds… the others sound SHIT.”

I’d say there’s a wee bit of urgency, as uncertainty is hardly a great position to be recruiting from.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
A lot of noise surrounding the "main candidates". I'm just waiting another week or so until we appoint someone I've probably never heard of.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Chief Football Writer for the Independent, rules out McKenna in Chelsea race, and says Ten Hag might still stay at Man Utd but even if not - its "too soon" and

"He is currently seen as likelier to go to Brighton..."

Chelsea race is down to Maresca and RDZ. McKenna "admired" but "concerns" about whether he is ready.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Chief Football Writer for the Independent, rules out McKenna in Chelsea race, and says Ten Hag might still stay at Man Utd but even if not - its "too soon" and

"He is currently seen as likelier to go to Brighton..."

Chelsea race is down to Maresca and RDZ. McKenna "admired" but "concerns" about whether he is ready.

Even if Ten Hag is booted out of Old Trafford, it’s a massive gamble to give a young inexperienced manager the keys to the club. They tried it with OGS and he only lasted as long as he did because he is a legend at that club.

Seeing as the Mancs don’t mind splashing a bit of cash, the rumoured £20m buyout for Amorim from Sporting would surely be their best bet (and ours if we were a club who splashed ridiculous money on manager transfer fees which I’m glad we don’t).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Even if Ten Hag is booted out of Old Trafford, it’s a massive gamble to give a young inexperienced manager the keys to the club. They tried it with OGS and he only lasted as long as he did because he is a legend at that club.

Seeing as the Mancs don’t mind splashing a bit of cash, the rumoured £20m buyout for Amorim from Sporting would surely be their best bet (and ours if we were a club who splashed ridiculous money on manager transfer fees which I’m glad we don’t).
there's now very little reporting that suggests McKenna is going to be offered the Man U role. Ten Hag could even stay according to some reports.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It always was McKenna. Now looking like things will move quite quickly i'd say.
Farioli was the early betting favourite, and he stayed in Sussex last Monday night with his wife and agent.

I've no idea what happened from there. Was he not interested in us, were we not interested in him, or was it just an exploratory chat to find out about each other?

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Farioli was the early betting favourite, and he stayed in Sussex last Monday night with his wife and agent.

I've no idea what happened from there. Was he not interested in us, were we not interested in him, or was it just an exploratory chat to find out about each other?
Perhaps they were just over for some long overdue pasta round RDZ 's gaff.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Looks like he opted for an inferior Europa League team

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
If I’m a player, irrespective of the PL hyperbole and the money etc. I want to know who I’m going to be playing for… a youth/dev squad option, yep that’s a different prospect… but first team …

(Somewhere in Bulgaria)

“Brighton are interested…”

“Who’s the coach…?”

“Well depending on your preference for fantasy vs reality, anyone from Graham Potter, Xavi or some bloke called McKenna… to Pele, the Arch Bishop of Canterbury or even Noel Edmunds…”

“Hmmmmmm”

“i’m not signing until I know it’s Edmunds… the others sound SHIT.”

I’d say there’s a wee bit of urgency, as uncertainty is hardly a great position to be recruiting from.
If he doesn't bring Mr Blobby on as his assistant to unsettle the opposition, I'm already Edmunds out.

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022

I think you need a manger by Christmas.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Think that story was bollocks !! He wouldn't have stayed at an Airbnb in Sussex as the report said !! No way we would have been interested in farioli

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports