Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Are we really in a superb position? Gross could well leave, we have an ageing squad with a lot holes in it. We don’t have a competitive midfield, Dunk has been jittery all season. Christ knows what’s wrong with Ferguson leaving us with a six goal a season getting slower Welbeck as a main striker. Mitoma can hardly walk so I would be surprised if he’s back for the start of the season. No Lallana to plug a midfield gap when required. Pervis out March may never return.
I'm glad you're not my doctor !!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It shouldn't be any surprise or even seen as a snub, that McKenna would want Man U above any other club (which means us and Chelsea or anyone else who may come along), he's a lifelong fan and already worked there.

Imagine if you were a manager and you had interest from Albion, another club similar sized, say Wolves and another smaller but doing well like Muff. Which would you want?

That said, I'd be very surprised if Man U appointed him at this stage of his career, I'd suspect they'd go Poch or Tuchel and not McKenna and i think it will be perceived as very risky by Chelsea too after the Potter debacle.

Whether he comes here or not is to be seen, but I wouldn't bet any money on him going to Man U or Chelsea.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It shouldn't be any surprise or even seen as a snub, that McKenna would want Man U above any other club (which means us and Chelsea or anyone else who may come along), he's a lifelong fan and already worked there.

Imagine if you were a manager and you had interest from Albion, another club similar sized, say Wolves and another smaller but doing well like Muff. Which would you want?

That said, I'd be very surprised if Man U appointed him at this stage of his career, I'd suspect they'd go Poch or Tuchel and not McKenna and i think it will be perceived as very risky by Chelsea too after the Potter debacle.

Whether he comes here or not is to be seen, but I wouldn't bet any money on him going to Man U or Chelsea.
Wise move.

The Chelsea market for McKenna is now very good value but equally, indicates it’s not going to happen.

IMG_4821.jpeg

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
My take on this McKenna guy:
If you get Ipswich promoted from League 1 and then straight up from Championship as well, you're good. Likely really damn good.
Good to the degree that many clubs would be incompetent if they weren't trying to sign him.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
The reason I think he won’t go to Chelsea is the fact that they don’t want to be seen taking a manager that would prefer to go to Man United. It’s not good for their ego or their fans ego.
Whereas I think it won’t bother us and I think if he’s been open with us about his preference for United, we’ll wait on his decision if he doesn’t get the United job. If he’s offered the United job he’ll obviously take it.
He may have already indicated to us that he’ll accept our offer if he doesn’t get the United job.

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
Tony Bloom will be a lot more interested in what Graham Potter did with his squad in his final few years than what he did with Chris squad in his first few years.
Some people expect Tony Bloom to be stuck in 2020 just because they are, but I imagine he has a different view of what Potter achieved in his years with us. Which is why we can't rule out GP.
The main reason everyone is talking about GP despite not many wanting him back, is that they deep down believe/know that Mr Bloom probably doesn't share their emotions and opinions. The same way people spent the spring repeating Roberto won't get sacked while deep down knowing Mr Bloom would tell him to pack his bags and f*** off.
Do you mean what he did in the final few months...? Granted he changed our style of play but we were pretty ineffective offensively.

People argue that you can't rewrite history and take away was Potter did. Then in the same breath accuse people of being 'stuck in 2020' when reflecting on Potters less so glamorous runs and moments.
I trust Bloom with whatever he decides, it's his club and money. I personally just think that ship has sailed.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Here’s the thing though - I think we ARE aiming for it every season. Up until our terrible run of injuries and disappointing second half of the season, we were in the running to reach Europe again. I don’t buy this narrative that we somehow forfeited our attempt at Europe again because we didn’t strengthen in January.

The problem is everyone else is aiming for it too, mostly clubs with much bigger budgets, attendances, incomes, resources and expectations.
At last. Someone with their head screwed on in a thread full of paranoid bollocks.

I feel for the mental well-being of half the posters on here at the moment. It’s only football ffs, get a grip!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
United is a poisoned challis but an ok job for his cv as likely to improve .

Chelsea job probably the best as they have the players to push on now

Our job least appealing as very good chance we will be in a relegation fight
Id agree with the first 2 points, but us being in a relegation scrap? no chance.

With the improving base of yougsters we have, plus a summer transfer window ahead cannot see us being anywhere near the worse 3 teams in league

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I know this post will be disregarded by many as it is my first but I’ll say it anyway. I’ve been going every week for 30 years so feel entitled to an opinion.

A lot of wasted energy on here talking about how great RDZ or Potter were at various stages, likewise whether the club’s overall strategy is successful.

Reality as I see it:

- RDZ did amazingly well during calendar year of 2023 but 100% had to go because all opposition teams had found a way to play against his system and he offered no alternative. We’d likely be relegated next season with him in charge.

- Potter was arguably our greatest ever manager, taking us from relegation candidates to European contenders but there is 0% chance he will be coming back. The club were unhappy with how he conducted himself after leaving and Bloom doesn’t give second chances.

- The club’s strategy is based around value so the next appointment will be someone who is demonstrating they can extract the most value from the playing staff, who, in turn, will be recruited on the same basis of value - I expect quite a lot of incoming players this summer as there will be likely be a lot of value to be found and market prices will be lower as, due to PSR, other clubs are unable to spend, whilst we can. This approach will not change because it is the reason Bloom has made billions and it is the reason that we have gone from tin pot and homeless to having realistic ambitions of playing in the Champions League (and that is clearly the objective, whatever anyone says, and I’d be genuinely surprised if we do not do so before 2030).

Enjoy these times. They are amazing.
Welcome. Keep posting. I don't agree with all of this, but it's undoubtedly an astute assessment, so thanks for the contribution.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere

Nah. The 3 up from the Championship will be the 3 favorites, plus Brentford, Forest and Everton, but I agree top 8 looks a long way away at the moment.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What do you think the club targets are ?
Here’s the thing though - I think we ARE aiming for it every season. Up until our terrible run of injuries and disappointing second half of the season, we were in the running to reach Europe again. I don’t buy this narrative that we somehow forfeited our attempt at Europe again because we didn’t strengthen in January.

The problem is everyone else is aiming for it too, mostly clubs with much bigger budgets, attendances, incomes, resources and expectations.
Oh without a doubt we’ll now target a European spot and an outside chance of a cup every season. RDZ brought that ambition and mentality to the club and we’ll stick with it.

Which is why Potter would be such a retrograde step with his easy life, happy to finish 15th. The bloke wasn’t even Plan D a week ago.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Oh, poor Ron.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If you get Ipswich promoted from League 1 and then straight up from Championship as well, you're good. Likely really damn good.
Good to the degree that many clubs would be incompetent if they weren't trying to sign him.
Let’s not forget they had the largest wage bill in league 1 and lost £18m in the championship.
It doesn’t guarantee success although it really helps when the manager has decent players.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I know it’s been said a few times on here - but Nigel Adkins did the same thing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here