[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Are we really in a superb position? Gross could well leave, we have an ageing squad with a lot holes in it. We don’t have a competitive midfield, Dunk has been jittery all season. Christ knows what’s wrong with Ferguson leaving us with a six goal a season getting slower Welbeck as a main striker. Mitoma can hardly walk so I would be surprised if he’s back for the start of the season. No Lallana to plug a midfield gap when required. Pervis out March may never return.
It depends. Based on our budget, income comparative to the teams above us in the league, and relative ambitions based on previous league finishes/competitions won, where do you expect us to be?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Have we ever had a manager who we know would rather be elsewhere before he’s even arrived before? That is if McKenna does even arrive. I am going off this target, again assuming he is actually a target. We know nothing though :shrug:

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I'll stick my neck out and say most chaps have "got real"
But I still believe Mckenna was ...and still is...top of TB & PB list.
So you might want to consider redirecting it.
Why? Because the rumour mills say so? Because he’s one of the few highly publicised EPL managers available we can afford?

You have no idea who else is on the ‘list’ or where McKenna is in order of preference.

No one does.

Not even the betting companies, nor mainstream media, nor X nor facebook.

We

Simply

Don’t

Know.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Have we ever had a manager who we know would rather be elsewhere before he’s even arrived before?
Steve Coppell had been close to a couple of larger jobs before we appointed him, and moved onto Reading, then a much more attractive prospect, as soon as they showed interest.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Steve Coppell had been close to a couple of larger jobs before we appointed him, and moved onto Reading, then a much more attractive prospect, as soon as they showed interest.
[/QUOTE

Sure but did he arrive here with fans knowing he’d rather be somewhere else? It seems this is what we’d have with McKenna? I seem to remember that Coppell dallied a bit about leaving too and said he was “torn”

Probably shouldn’t say it but I had the upmost respect for how Coppell came across whilst an Albion manager

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Have we ever had a manager who we know would rather be elsewhere before he’s even arrived before? That is if McKenna does even arrive. I am going off this target, again assuming he is actually a target. We know nothing though :shrug:
This is my nagging doubt....if McKenna joined us I'd be forced to hope the new ManU manager was a roaring success, because if not it would be highly likely McKenna would be off to them as soon as they binned Ten Haag's successor.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I get that people hate potter for leaving but it seems a strange rewriting of history to not acknowledge we were good when he left.

The penny seemed to drop at the end of the 21/22 season with those victories over Arsenal, spurs and 4-0 vs United. It saw us pick up 17 points from 8 games.

The following season didn’t we have 13 points from 6 matches?

So in potter’s last 14 matches in charge we got 30 points. So that is 2.14 points per game. We will never know if we would have continued through the season like that.

RDZ in the season he took over got 1.53 from his 32 games.

Say what you want about how you feel about him for leaving but pretending we were not starting to play some great stuff and the vast majority being gutted when he left is a bit odd.
It’s also a bit odd to forget that he had no injuries and the best midfield partnership in the division

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
This is my nagging doubt....if McKenna joined us I'd be forced to hope the new ManU manager was a roaring success, because if not it would be highly likely McKenna would be off to them as soon as they binned Ten Haag's successor.
..at the END of a season as written into the contract and WITH huge compensation, possibly.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
The club’s strategy is based around value so the next appointment will be someone who is demonstrating they can extract the most value from the playing staff, who, in turn, will be recruited on the same basis of value.

Eric Roy then?!

Screenshot_20240522-170547~2.png

Jul 2, 2011
Agreed.
What a choice Chelsea, Man Utd..................or Brighton get real chaps
Couldnt agree more.

Chelsea and ManU are toxic environments but have the resources to win something. Brighton is a stable ship with a very very slim chance of winning something (before being stripped of players).

If you can handle / last 2 years at C or Mu then the risk for reward is worth it, and quite frankly, as much as I hate to say it theres only a few clubs in the world worth being at for an ambitious manager.
Leicester proved this when then won the prem. They didn’t have a chance to defend the title with the same / or improved squad because the vultures came in.

Who ever comes in at Brighton, successful or not, don’t expect it to be long term.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Someone had to make the transition from a team that didn’t want to cross the halfway line to one that was capable of taking on the biggest clubs. There were a hell of a lot draws in his time. The 6 losses stand out as the one really bad patch.

Again, I’m not making the case for Potter. Just finding the rewriting of history problematic. You’d think he was the worst manager we’d ever had. In reality, he was one of the best who made the worst departure.
I've never re written history I never took to potter, I drifted away during his last full season finding other things to do. I am fully aware as a club we moved forward in his time here, the football just wasn't for me and for that reason I wouldn't welcome him back

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I've just been reading about Jagoba Arrasate, who was Pervis Estupinan's coach at Osasuna. He'd be my choice as an unlikely selection. He plays a high pressure style, possession with purpose and loathes passing for the sake of it. More akin to Jürgen Klopp's style. A refreshing change from our last two managers who at times played side to side a bit to often.

Good shout. He's another of the multitude of Basque coaches present in the modern game. If anyone wants a football fix, Osasuna are playing at 1pm BST today.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nobby Horton was always going to leave us for Port Vale.

And didn't that go well for him. :lolol:

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
It’s also a bit odd to forget that he had no injuries and the best midfield partnership in the division
Dare I mention POSSIBLE intense training and an AWOL medical team having a big part in the number of injuries last season. Nah, thought not :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports