Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
I get that people hate potter for leaving but it seems a strange rewriting of history to not acknowledge we were good when he left.

The penny seemed to drop at the end of the 21/22 season with those victories over Arsenal, spurs and 4-0 vs United. It saw us pick up 17 points from 8 games.

The following season didn’t we have 13 points from 6 matches?

So in potter’s last 14 matches in charge we got 30 points. So that is 2.14 points per game. We will never know if we would have continued through the season like that.

RDZ in the season he took over got 1.53 from his 32 games.

Say what you want about how you feel about him for leaving but pretending we were not starting to play some great stuff and the vast majority being gutted when he left is a bit odd.
After stripping the club, Potter said on his return with Chelsea. "I hope for their sake, their next manager does as good a job". Arrogant prat!

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
After stripping the club, Potter said on his return with Chelsea. "I hope for their sake, their next manager does as good a job". Arrogant prat!
And again that is about him as a person rather than his results. Not wanting him back because you don’t like him is fine, it is the pretending we were rubbish when he left and RDZ suddenly turned around a team who were poor which winds me up. Potter’s last few months in charge of us were unbelievably good.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And the head coach is a job, a cog in the Albion machine. An important one yes, but with clearly defined duties and responsibilities which don’t overlap with others. The days of the old school football manager under Bloom’s structure are never coming back. ‘Arry Redknapp isn’t going to rock up and get the blower to his old mate Dave to bring one of his boys in as cover at left back.

The head coach develops the squad, picks the team and tactics, does his mandated media duties and that seems to be just about it. I’m sure he can (and has) recommend players he’d like, but that’s managed by another head of department parallel to the head coach on the company pyramid.

The reason for this is precisely that we need to be able to be fluid and replace in-demand assets, be it players, recruitment staff, coaches or anyone in the business.

One leaves, another slots in with minimum fuss into the role without too much upheaval.
Almost.

It’s true that when players succeed it’s down to our excellent recruitment because we’re such a well run club.

But, apparently, when they fail they were signed by the coach :shrug:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Almost.

It’s true that when players succeed it’s down to our excellent recruitment because we’re such a well run club.

Yeah, I don’t agree with that assessment either, I think it’s just selective praise and criticism being applied to fit people’s existing views.

But I tend not to focus on the minutiae personally, yeah, getting slammed by Luton and others and having a poor second half of the season was bad. But it’s a dip in a much larger upward trend.

I understand this takes out some of the emotion and fun of supporting a team, and I still get very into games on a second by second basis, personally I always try and rationalise and balance the general direction.

An example of this would be a big backwards step with the recruitment provided to Hyypia, for example. That was a direction I hadn’t expected us to go and one we had to basically 180 from to prevent a real catastrophe.

Broadly speaking we are in a superb position. This summer’s head coach appointment and our transfer activity will dictate the coming season, not losing the first game of the season.

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
And again that is about him as a person rather than his results. Not wanting him back because you don’t like him is fine, it is the pretending we were rubbish when he left and RDZ suddenly turned around a team who were poor which winds me up. Potter’s last few months in charge of us were unbelievably good.
I'm not saying he isn't a good coach and our form when he left was excellent. However, everyone only remembers those 14 games. The equivalent to the 3rd of a season with a long rest at halfway. The previous two years included long barron runs, not scoring, 1 home win in a calendar year and 6 defeats in a row. He was given the patience and opportunity to nagivated through those periods including from the fans. It was hardly all roses.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Potter is waiting for the England job and is probably on a promise from the FA. The worse case scenario would be offering him the job and getting turned down. Would not go for him as he would be on a hiding to nothing, zero patience from fans and a percentage of fans willing him to fail so we could bin him off.

Thinking now that it will be a left field appointment as McKenna has his eye on the united job.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'm not saying he isn't a good coach and our form when he left was excellent. However, everyone only remembers those 14 games. The equivalent to the 3rd of a season with a long rest at halfway. The previous two years included long barron runs, not scoring, 1 home win in a calendar year and 6 defeats in a row. He was given the patience and opportunity to nagivated through those periods including from the fans. It was hardly all roses.
Someone had to make the transition from a team that didn’t want to cross the halfway line to one that was capable of taking on the biggest clubs. There were a hell of a lot draws in his time. The 6 losses stand out as the one really bad patch.

Again, I’m not making the case for Potter. Just finding the rewriting of history problematic. You’d think he was the worst manager we’d ever had. In reality, he was one of the best who made the worst departure.

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
Someone had to make the transition from a team that didn’t want to cross the halfway line to one that was capable of taking on the biggest clubs. There were a hell of a lot draws in his time. The 6 losses stand out as the one really bad patch.

Again, I’m not making the case for Potter. Just finding the rewriting of history problematic. You’d think he was the worst manager we’d ever had. In reality, he was one of the best who made the worst departure.
Maybe there is just too much emotional baggage with Potter for a return. The Chelsea game expressed just how much of it there was. He did a good job transforming our play and left us in great form. However, perhaps it's best it remains as part of the history lesson. Would I feel different if he was appointed and I had no choice but to get behind him and the team..? I don't know.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Who is pretending we were rubbish when he left? We were brilliant and that is why, when it all seemed to come together that it felt like a very personal kick in the teeth. He is damaged goods as far as a relationship with the fans goes. If he hit the ground running on his return, then as @chaileyjem said earlier, we are a fickle bunch and the wins would keep the wolves at bay. However were results to turn bad, people would be on him like a flash and the atmosphere on matchday and elsewhere would be toxic. In addition, a lot of people have issue with the preceding years, in particular 'The club-record 14 home games without a victory. One solitary win at the Amex in the calendar year of 2020' (quoted from We Are Brighton). That form made me think twice about renewing my season ticket for the first time since about 1985. It must surely be in Bloom's mind that after showing a LOT of faith and backing for Potter in those frankly bleak times, at the first sign of a better offer, he was off like a flash and decimated our backroom team to boot. Graham Potter ruined his reputation at BHA and I would be astonished were he to even register a flicker from Tony Bloom's mighty synapses.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Potter is waiting for the England job and is probably on a promise from the FA. The worse case scenario would be offering him the job and getting turned down. Would not go for him as he would be on a hiding to nothing, zero patience from fans and a percentage of fans willing him to fail so we could bin him off.

Thinking now that it will be a left field appointment as McKenna has his eye on the united job.

I've just been reading about Jagoba Arrasate, who was Pervis Estupinan's coach at Osasuna. He'd be my choice as an unlikely selection. He plays a high pressure style, possession with purpose and loathes passing for the sake of it. More akin to Jürgen Klopp's style. A refreshing change from our last two managers who at times played side to side a bit to often.

Avocado

May 18, 2024
I know this post will be disregarded by many as it is my first but I’ll say it anyway. I’ve been going every week for 30 years so feel entitled to an opinion.

A lot of wasted energy on here talking about how great RDZ or Potter were at various stages, likewise whether the club’s overall strategy is successful.

Reality as I see it:

- RDZ did amazingly well during calendar year of 2023 but 100% had to go because all opposition teams had found a way to play against his system and he offered no alternative. We’d likely be relegated next season with him in charge.

- Potter was arguably our greatest ever manager, taking us from relegation candidates to European contenders but there is 0% chance he will be coming back. The club were unhappy with how he conducted himself after leaving and Bloom doesn’t give second chances.

- The club’s strategy is based around value so the next appointment will be someone who is demonstrating they can extract the most value from the playing staff, who, in turn, will be recruited on the same basis of value - I expect quite a lot of incoming players this summer as there will be likely be a lot of value to be found and market prices will be lower as, due to PSR, other clubs are unable to spend, whilst we can. This approach will not change because it is the reason Bloom has made billions and it is the reason that we have gone from tin pot and homeless to having realistic ambitions of playing in the Champions League (and that is clearly the objective, whatever anyone says, and I’d be genuinely surprised if we do not do so before 2030).

Enjoy these times. They are amazing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Almost.

It’s almost like blaming a manager for a bad run of results, then when there’s a good run it’s only because of the players they’ve got.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Who is pretending we were rubbish when he left? We were brilliant and that is why, when it all seemed to come together that it felt like a very personal kick in the teeth. He is damaged goods as far as a relationship with the fans goes. If he hit the ground running on his return, then as @chaileyjem said earlier, we are a fickle bunch and the wins would keep the wolves at bay. However were results to turn bad, people would be on him like a flash and the atmosphere on matchday and elsewhere would be toxic. In addition, a lot of people have issue with the preceding years, in particular 'The club-record 14 home games without a victory. One solitary win at the Amex in the calendar year of 2020' (quoted from We Are Brighton). That form made me think twice about renewing my season ticket for the first time since about 1985. It must surely be in Bloom's mind that after showing a LOT of faith and backing for Potter in those frankly bleak times, at the first sign of a better offer, he was off like a flash and decimated our backroom team to boot. Graham Potter ruined his reputation at BHA and I would be astonished were he to even register a flicker from Tony Bloom's mighty synapses.
Ruined his reputation with the fans, yes. But everything I've seen from the club (Barber) and players suggests that they still have a good relationship with Potter and Bruno, and didn't have an issue with them leaving to Chelsea.

I think Bloom and Barber would, on a personal and professional level, be happy with Potter coming back, but ultimately I don't think it will happen because as you say, a few bad results and the atmosphere at games would be toxic. The pressure and expectations of him from the fans would be very different to any other new manager.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Ruined his reputation with the fans, yes. But everything I've seen from the club (Barber) and players suggests that they still have a good relationship with Potter and Bruno, and didn't have an issue with them leaving to Chelsea.

I think Bloom and Barber would, on a personal and professional level, be happy with Potter coming back, but ultimately I don't think it will happen because as you say, a few bad results and the atmosphere at games would be toxic. The pressure and expectations of him from the fans would be very different to any other new manager.
It's possible of course that he will be the best option available.

With United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Bayern, Ajax in the market at the same time, it's a fiercely competitive time.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yeah, I don’t agree with that assessment either, I think it’s just selective praise and criticism being applied to fit people’s existing views.

But I tend not to focus on the minutiae personally, yeah, getting slammed by Luton and others and having a poor second half of the season was bad. But it’s a dip in a much larger upward trend.

I understand this takes out some of the emotion and fun of supporting a team, and I still get very into games on a second by second basis, personally I always try and rationalise and balance the general direction.

An example of this would be a big backwards step with the recruitment provided to Hyypia, for example. That was a direction I hadn’t expected us to go and one we had to basically 180 from to prevent a real catastrophe.

Broadly speaking we are in a superb position. This summer’s head coach appointment and our transfer activity will dictate the coming season, not losing the first game of the season.
Are we really in a superb position? Gross could well leave, we have an ageing squad with a lot holes in it. We don’t have a competitive midfield, Dunk has been jittery all season. Christ knows what’s wrong with Ferguson leaving us with a six goal a season getting slower Welbeck as a main striker. Mitoma can hardly walk so I would be surprised if he’s back for the start of the season. No Lallana to plug a midfield gap when required. Pervis out March may never return.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here